Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

I'm all for grabbing a QB for the future.. and a good one ala Aaron Rodgers who, depending on which "guru" did the rating, happened to be rated either #1 or #2 vs Alex Smith that year. However, let's take into consideration that Tannenbaum traded up for Sanchez, traded a 3rd and a $mil I believe for Tebow and drafted Stephen Hill in the 2nd round. And Grier, he'd still be stuck in the bowels of Davie FO mediocrity - and rightfully so if Tannenbum didn't need him as his Rooney Rule-compliant lackey.

Long way of saying, do we really want these bozos picking a QB?

No, I hope they would defer to Gase on that one...he also said this about Fales- not sure if he is in the plans or out..

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 33m33 minutes ago
Adam Gase said he like what David Fales did in finale. Fales was 29 of 44 for 265 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. QB rating of 83.9.

Miami’s pass defense was terrible. Expect a few LBs and maybe a S to be taken. Need better MOf coverage.

Anthony looks like he may be a good WLB, Raekwon can be a damn good MLB. I don’t see Miami picking Smith unless they think Anthony can play SLB.

The ND G and Derwin seem like the most logical choose for BPA anyways.

fair enough. imo, we saw his best football in 2016 and it was sustained for long enough to show it wasn't a fluke

What? He had 8-10 good games in 2016? That could absolutely be a fluke. I mean I hope it's not but we've seen QB's have a fantastic season one year and then completely flop the next. Fitzpatrick is the first guy to come to mind, he did that at least twice, once for the Bills and once for the Jets. McCown is another that comes to mind as well, kicked ass for the Bears a few years ago and then basically stole a bunch of money from the Bucs the year after haha

No the person I responded to brought up the fact that when Tannehill played with a healthy o-line in the 2014 season Bears, Jaguars, Charger and 2015 Redskins, Titans, Texans seasons he was 6-1 (packers loss) and credited the fact that he played with a healthy o-line for his 6-1 record thus implying that all he needed was an OL.

I countered with the exception of the Texans game the defense averaged 9.4 ppg, 3.2 Turnovers, and scored 4 defensive touchdowns.Thus I was saying that the defense deserves more credit as they basically played better than the 2000 Ravens, 85 bears and any all time defense besides the 77 Falcons.

Thanks I see what's going on now.

What? He had 8-10 good games in 2016? That could absolutely be a fluke. I mean I hope it's not but we've seen QB's have a fantastic season one year and then completely flop the next. Fitzpatrick is the first guy to come to mind, he did that at least twice, once for the Bills and once for the Jets. McCown is another that comes to mind as well, kicked *** for the Bears a few years ago and then basically stole a bunch of money from the Bucs the year after haha
first of all, neither Fitzpatrick nor McCown have ever had a season that should be classified as "fantastic". McCown just completed the best year of his career with 18 TDs and 2900 yards. in 2013, he was decent but only started 5 games. Fitzpatrick had a good 2015 and a bad 2016 but 2016 was more of an anomaly with career lows in several areas. He returned to more typical numbers this year in Tampa. Could Tannehill's 8 game surge in 2016 be a fluke? maybe, but he showed improvement every year, culminating in a sustained run that would put him easily above average.

I would say 9-7 or 10-6. not because of thill17 but because of team.
Wild man, earlier you stated how important the pro bowl / top 100 voting was, and mentioned Mariota, Winston, and Carr

Why are 2/3 of those teams not in the play offs? Did those qb’s have great years this year?

You no need great OL to win. Winning with terrible OL possible it is. Winning with terrible defense not so possible. Tannehill no had terrible defense no year. No need championship defense, just better than bah-tahm 4 for winning record.

Bah-tahm 4 defense no win
Bah-tahm 4 OL yes win.
What about a bottom 12 defense combined with a bottom 2 OL and a bottom 2 running game and bottom 1 coaching?

Wild man, earlier you stated how important the pro bowl / top 100 voting was, and mentioned Mariota, Winston, and Carr

Why are 2/3 of those teams not in the play offs? Did those qb’s have great years this year?[/QU well carr and mariaota have made playoff.. thill17 have not made playoff yet after 5 yr in nfl. Winston to me had down yr.all these guy was draft after thill17. I feel that their ceiling higher than thanhill17. it just me but I think all 3 of them are better than thill17

I find it interesting that the people who criticize Tannehill the most, never actually point out the flaws they see in his game. All we get is "he doesn't have "it"". Or, look at the team results "it must be Tannehill". There is no analysis whatsoever about what he is or is not doing on the field. Nothing about reading defenses, throwing accurately, checking to the correct play, nada. It is those things that make me believe that Tannehill is a plenty good enough QB. As others have noted, the arm talent is very very good, mobility is excellent, pre and post snap reads are also very good. What can be improved? Being quicker and more decisive in the pocket, challenging down the field more, and being a better motivator.

I see a guy that can clearly make all the throws and doesn't get fooled very often. Beginning in 2014 I saw a QB that makes some spectacular plays that only 1 or 2 other guys can make. In 2014 and 2015 he either didn't make enough of them or there weren't enough to be made to make up for the shortcomings of the team. Admittedly, many of us were projecting about what Tannehill would be like without the stinkfest around him.

In 2016, he settled into a nice grove (IMO) proving what so many of us had been saying for 2 - 3 years. Give this guy a decent chance and he will shine. There was that wonderful stretch of games where the naysayers had no choice but to STFU. The most blissful Finheaven had been in many, many years. Sadly, the injury happened and here we are again. F**K Calais Campbell. I hate that guy (and whichever scrub lineman let him through).

What about a bottom 12 defense combined with a bottom 2 OL and a bottom 2 running game and bottom 1 coaching?

There is no discernible way to measure what a bottom coach is besides wins. If your implying Philbin was the worst coach in the NFL at any point in time that would be incorrect. In his 3 full He finished 7-9 better than 10 teams and the same as 4 teams, 8-8 better than13 teams and the same as 6, and 8-8 which is better than 14 teams and the same as 1 team. By no measure was he the worst coach in the NFL. If anything he was the most average.

I mean by your definition of the state of the Dolphins being completely devoid of talent to help Tannehill you could argue Philbin did a miraculous job only having 1 losing season with an inept team and only a slightly above average QB.

first of all, neither Fitzpatrick nor McCown have ever had a season that should be classified as "fantastic". McCown just completed the best year of his career with 18 TDs and 2900 yards. in 2013, he was decent but only started 5 games. Fitzpatrick had a good 2015 and a bad 2016 but 2016 was more of an anomaly with career lows in several areas. He returned to more typical numbers this year in Tampa. Could Tannehill's 8 game surge in 2016 be a fluke? maybe, but he showed improvement every year, culminating in a sustained run that would put him easily above average.

The other thing is that those guys just aren't capable of making the plays that Tannehill can. He has throws that just leap off the screen. He is the best thrower on the run that I have ever seen.

There is no discernible way to measure what a bottom coach is besides wins. If your implying Philbin was the worst coach in the NFL at any point in time that would be incorrect. In his 3 full He finished 7-9 better than 10 teams and the same as 4 teams, 8-8 better than13 teams and the same as 6, and 8-8 which is better than 14 teams and the same as 1 team. By no measure was he the worst coach in the NFL. If anything he was the most average.

I mean by your definition of the state of the Dolphins being completely devoid of talent to help Tannehill you could argue Philbin did a miraculous job only having 1 losing season with an inept team and only a slightly above average QB.

Or a very good QB covered up a ton of flaws.

this guy Philbin you're defending was a complete joke of a coach. there wasn't one fan in these forms that wanted him, in fact the only reason he became our coach was because this franchise was so bad no coach wanted the job. nobody interviewed him prior to his hiring or after his firing.

I find it interesting that the people who criticize Tannehill the most, never actually point out the flaws they see in his game. All we get is "he doesn't have "it"". Or, look at the team results "it must be Tannehill". There is no analysis whatsoever about what he is or is not doing on the field. Nothing about reading defenses, throwing accurately, checking to the correct play, nada. It is those things that make me believe that Tannehill is a plenty good enough QB. As others have noted, the arm talent is very very good, mobility is excellent, pre and post snap reads are also very good. What can be improved? Being quicker and more decisive in the pocket, challenging down the field more, and being a better motivator.

I see a guy that can clearly make all the throws and doesn't get fooled very often. Beginning in 2014 I saw a QB that makes some spectacular plays that only 1 or 2 other guys can make. In 2014 and 2015 he either didn't make enough of them or there weren't enough to be made to make up for the shortcomings of the team. Admittedly, many of us were projecting about what Tannehill would be like without the stinkfest around him.

In 2016, he settled into a nice grove (IMO) proving what so many of us had been saying for 2 - 3 years. Give this guy a decent chance and he will shine. There was that wonderful stretch of games where the naysayers had no choice but to STFU. The most blissful Finheaven had been in many, many years. Sadly, the injury happened and here we are again. F**K Calais Campbell. I hate that guy (and whichever scrub lineman let him through).

Every QB has flaws. Every QB has strengths. Sometimes the only thing that separates an elite QB from an average QB are intangibles. I have never seen Tannehill go for a free play after a hardcount. Rodgers and Tannehill could have the exact same arm talent but the guy doing the little extras, like the free play, and the pocket manipulation, and noticing when its a 3 man rush, and getting to the line quick when the defense is making changes is going to increase his teams chances.

Back
Top Bottom