Extension given to Dolphins | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extension given to Dolphins

so-long-Ricky said:
I understand what you're saying but the one point you really didn't mention is bottom line it's a bunsiness. With the currect CBA teams split TV revenues, merchandising, etc......the one thing the owners do not have to share is income received through attendance, parking, concessions, etc. That's where that make the majority of the $. So, fans not going to the game within the defined blackout area directly affects the ownerships revenue. More revenue=better players you can sign (signing bonuses, etc).

You brought up a good point by stating that they need to put up a good product on the field.....Miami is definitely attempting to do just that. They've dissed out a good $ for Saban, who as off now seems to be worth every dollar. Plus, he forked over 20m for a rookie.....and has kept some of the core players....zach, jt, chambers, and attempting to re-sign randy.

To me, it's a privilage to be within reasonable driving distance of an NFL team. Personally I go to 2-3 Bills games a year......and have a great time almost every time (besides that damn jags game last year, errrr).Local support is essential to any NFL team. If the local area can't support them, don't get upset when another city takes them from ya

I understand what you're saying- it's a business. My point is that as business owners, they have to look at why their business (local attendance) is consistently sub-par and what they as business owners can do to improve it.

My contention is that blacking out a local game doesn't significantly increase attendance and may actually hurt it in the long run by alienating potential future customers. It is more a punishment for not going than an incentive to go. Sure, some rabid fans that can't stand to miss a game might go, but most casual fans will watch another game or just not watch football, all the while feeling negatively towards the fins.

In fact, if it were a blackout, being in West Palm, I'd be more likely to drive north to the non-blacked out area to watch it in a bar/restaraunt. Not to punish the fins, but for the other reasons I stated: not being gouged and I can get there, watch the game, and get home sooner.

I think they can tinker with some things to get better attendance while still being profitable, even more profitable. If they lower concession, souvenier, and parking prices by X percent, but do Y percent more business because of it, they could at least break even on that and increase ticket sales. It's just math.

My point is that a smart business owner with an underperforming business won't just blame (and punish) it's customers, he/they will take steps to make their total product (the whole gameday experience, not just the team) more desirable to the consumer.

In fact, forward this to Wayne...it's time he and I talked.

Ozzy said:
Dan Marino Blvd. is 199th st. It is the main entrance to the stadium. Put it this way. Calder Race track is directly north of the stadium, that's the wrong place to be, or park. All the way on the other side of the stadium is Dan's Blvd.

Personally, I don't even park in the stadium most of the time, and especially for big games. I park across the street from the stadium right off 199th st. It costs me 10 bucks, and I have a reserved place. While everyone is waiting to get out of the stadium, I'm walking past them, and 9 times out of 10 I'm in my car before most people get 300 feet.

OK, I usually get right off the turnpike(south of the stadium I believe) and park in the GA lot directly to the left, but sometimes there is no room and I get stuck in the GA lots on the other side of the N-S road running by the west side of the stadium, which I think is the road you are talking about.

But the cops(for unknown reasons) are not allowing access directly back to the turnpike exit(on the same road I came in on) to go back north from these lots.:fire:

THAT is the problem, if I get to the damn stadium that way, I should be able to get back that way without the runaround, as I can at a Marlin game, for example(even for the World Series).

Lloyd Heilbrunn said:
OK, I usually get right off the turnpike(south of the stadium I believe) and park in the GA lot directly to the left, but sometimes there is no room and I get stuck in the GA lots on the other side of the N-S road running by the west side of the stadium, which I think is the road you are talking about.

But the cops(for unknown reasons) are not allowing access directly back to the turnpike exit(on the same road I came in on) to go back north from these lots.:fire:

THAT is the problem, if I get to the damn stadium that way, I should be able to get back that way without the runaround, as I can at a Marlin game, for example(even for the World Series).

Ahh I see. On your way in I would stay heading south on the turnpike past the toll (don't take the Turnpike extension) and past 27th ave. The next exit south is Red Road (57th ave). Head South on Red Road to 199th St. Turn left, and your in business. Sometimes it gets very clogged, but for the most part it is pretty smooth, and for sure, it's better than taking 27th ave or the extension.

Back
Top Bottom