Extension given to Dolphins | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extension given to Dolphins

A Wing Pilot said:
I said it before and I'll keep on saying it till you people get it through your thick skulls!!!!

Post it again, then again, then once more. You're not getting thru, not thru this thick skull.

If you don't agree with things that's fine, but don't think for a minute that everyone is a follower on this board.

islandah said:
So here's a legitimate question for those of us that would or do go to the occassional game: what could management do, within reason, to encourage you to go to more games? I recognize that it is a business, so big discounts aren't likely, but on the other hand, business has been sub-par for years, so maybe they've priced themselves out of the market.

Also, does a blackout encourage you to go to that and/or future games? Or does it make you lose interest, or become embittered about the team, perhaps encouraging you to root for a different team?

I'm just asking here.

Tickets for Dolphins games are fairly cheap when compared to the rest of the NFL. But this year they have offered some discounts. Not the nose bleed either. Ten bucks cheaper than what the season ticket holders get them for, plus a hot dog and coke. PLUS, the organization donated 4000 seats so that kids can come see the game. That means they have to pony up the money.

Take a look back at the Colts/Miami playoff game. It was a blackout, and sold out on game day. That place was packed before kickoff, which is a feat in itself. One of the loudest games ever played at the current venue. Payton Manning said that the crowd played a huge role in the Colts losing.

As for the product. The consistantly put a winning product on the field.

Luckily for those that don't go to the games, the Fins have a great home schedule this year. So there probably won't be any blackouts. Except for maybe that game on Christmas Eve. We may or may not be out of the playoff race by then, but if we are out I could easily see that a not selling out.

7. People are @$$es at the stadium and tell me to sit down. Quit bitching and cheer. There's a time to stand and a time to sit and people will appreciate it.
Thats only happened to me once, when i wnt toa rams gameand for some reason there was an old couple wearing Vikings jersseys WTF were they doing there I have no ****ing clue they told me and my friends to sit down, so a few timed so I flipped them the bird and stood and cheered until they left.

I dont see why people say going to games issux, well I love it, i love to sre eam at the top of my damn lungs so much that I sound like Don Corleone at the end of the day. and dont complain to me about the heat, I have lived here all my life with this heat, I gotta run 5 days a ****ing a week in this heat and do I complain? Hell no.

im breaking out the face/body paint for this sunday. im ready

islandah said:
So here's a legitimate question for those of us that would or do go to the occassional game: what could management do, within reason, to encourage you to go to more games? I recognize that it is a business, so big discounts aren't likely, but on the other hand, business has been sub-par for years, so maybe they've priced themselves out of the market.

Also, does a blackout encourage you to go to that and/or future games? Or does it make you lose interest, or become embittered about the team, perhaps encouraging you to root for a different team?

I'm just asking here.

1. Allow me to get from the parking lots to the Turnpike north(about 500 yards away) without sending me thru back streets 10 miles and 45 minutes out of my way.

2. Actually have ushers that enforce stadium rules like no smoking.

3. Stop reaming me for lousy food and parking with horrible access.

Lloyd Heilbrunn said:
1. Allow me to get from the parking lots to the Turnpike north(about 500 yards away) without sending me thru back streets 10 miles and 45 minutes out of my way.

2. Actually have ushers that enforce stadium rules like no smoking.

3. Stop reaming me for lousy food and parking with horrible access.

Take Dan Marino Blvd. East to Red Road, turn right then look for the Turnpike signs., You just saved half an hour.

I have no idea which way that is, but the last time I went they would not let you go but one way out of the lot I was in,the wrong way, despite the fact that the turnpike was right there. :(

Trying to picture it, doesn't that take you south??

Lloyd Heilbrunn said:
I have no idea which way that is, but the last time I went they would not let you go but one way out of the lot I was in,the wrong way, despite the fact that the turnpike was right there. :(

Trying to picture it, doesn't that take you south??

Dan Marino Blvd. is 199th st. It is the main entrance to the stadium. Put it this way. Calder Race track is directly north of the stadium, that's the wrong place to be, or park. All the way on the other side of the stadium is Dan's Blvd.

Personally, I don't even park in the stadium most of the time, and especially for big games. I park across the street from the stadium right off 199th st. It costs me 10 bucks, and I have a reserved place. While everyone is waiting to get out of the stadium, I'm walking past them, and 9 times out of 10 I'm in my car before most people get 300 feet.

I'm like Lloyd, it always seems to take forever to get on the turnpike extension. I attend maybe one game per year and admittedly don't know the area well. I need to go south and always end up heading west and weaving through residential areas before turning north and picking up the freeway somewhere. This year I'll be there for the game around Christmas.

The food is laughably priced. Last year I took a look at the menu and refused to shell out for asnything other than a pretzel, a mediocre pretzel with about 10 times too much salt.

I still miss the old days when we'd bring our own burgers to the games in the Orange Bowl and park for free at a lawyer's office a few blocks south of the stadium. The same three or four other carloads knew about that spot and we'd see each other with a wink 7-9 times per season.

Excellent. This is the discussion I was wanting.
I agree that a dome isn't my first choice- just doesn't feel like football to me. But the prices and access are things that are factors. Actually to me, it's not too much about the money, as I only go to a game or two a year and expect to get reamed. But if I was going to every home game, it would be an issue. Not so much ticket price, but parking, food, beverages and souveneirs are pretty outrageous. It leaves you with the feeling that you're being taken advantage of as a captive customer. Not a good relationship to have with your customers.

Coming from West Palm, to me it's more about time. A 1 pm game is basically a day long commitment. Anything they could do to speed access and departure, that would get me in and out in a reasonable time, could definitely get me to more games.

So that's my answer: ease up on the captive customer pricing and get me in and out quicker, and I'll happily deal with the crowd and the heat.

islandah said:
Y'know, I'm getting pretty sick of hearing what lousy fans we are and how it serves us right to have the games blacked out. All the reasons/excuses have been made and discussed at length (transient population w/different team loyalties, expense, heat, time, parking, access, etc). This is not a new phenomenon to South Florida.

So at what point does ownership have to accept some responsibility? If it's a consistent problem, what is being done to correct it, besides the outdated and obviously ineffective use of extortion, er, I mean blackouts. Blackouts really only hurt 2 entities: the local TV affiliates that lose the better advertising dollars that would go along with a local game, and the local fans who may have been on the fence about the dolphins but now either lose interest from lack of exposure or just get a bad taste in their mouths from the perception of greedy ownership.

Obviously, a winning product is the best draw, and they're doing their best like any other team. But what other things could be done, especially with a new coach and new era, to try to create a more loyal fan base? Blackouts are adversarial. What about some help to let us know management considers us an assett and not just a meal ticket? Cheaper prices? Cheaper/free parking? Better crowd control to speed up the process? Some way to cool us (shade/misting/fans,etc)? More reasonable concession prices? I don't know the answer; it's up to them to find it.

The bottom line is it is a consistent problem because for whatever reason a large # of potential fans don't consider going to the game worth the time and expense. They're not getting value for the time and money they spend, it is up to the business to creatively address that to create a more dependable and loyal fan base. An adversarial blackout of the very fans they're trying to win over obviously doesn't work.

A good first step would be Wayne or the Fins buying out the remaining tix to lift the blackout and use it as positive PR; a "we're in this together" sort of message.
But at some point the business owner has to be held at least partly responsible for consistently poor sales.

I understand what you're saying but the one point you really didn't mention is bottom line it's a bunsiness. With the currect CBA teams split TV revenues, merchandising, etc......the one thing the owners do not have to share is income received through attendance, parking, concessions, etc. That's where that make the majority of the $. So, fans not going to the game within the defined blackout area directly affects the ownerships revenue. More revenue=better players you can sign (signing bonuses, etc).

You brought up a good point by stating that they need to put up a good product on the field.....Miami is definitely attempting to do just that. They've dissed out a good $ for Saban, who as off now seems to be worth every dollar. Plus, he forked over 20m for a rookie.....and has kept some of the core players....zach, jt, chambers, and attempting to re-sign randy.

To me, it's a privilage to be within reasonable driving distance of an NFL team. Personally I go to 2-3 Bills games a year......and have a great time almost every time (besides that damn jags game last year, errrr).Local support is essential to any NFL team. If the local area can't support them, don't get upset when another city takes them from ya

Back
Top Bottom