Feeley was NOT a 3rd String QB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley was NOT a 3rd String QB

bigmiamifan said:
Not according to the dolphins. He was brought in to be the starter, unless he flops he will be the starter. Jay is the backup who is fighting to show that ha can start, but seemed destined to be a backup once again.

Originally was brought in to be the starter because they were thinking about letting Fiedler go but it all changed by bringing back Fiedler.

Fiedler is #1 in Depth chart
Feeley is #2

Therefore Feeley is fighting to unseat Jay Fiedler.

Whenever Mcnabb was injured, they went to Detmer. That says Detmer was #2.

I can't think of a better definition. When they had a choice to put the ball in someone elses hands it was not AJ.

fin-atic said:
Whenever Mcnabb was injured, they went to Detmer. That says Detmer was #2.

I can't think of a better definition. When they had a choice to put the ball in someone elses hands it was not AJ.

Agreed. About as straight forward as you can get.

PhinPhreak said:
Well once the season starts if he plays good you won't hear much of it, it he sucks it up you won't hear the end of it.

And unfortunately, unless he averages around 250 yards and 4 TDs a game, the majority is going to determine that he sucks..

Its been talked about over and over, and its been made quite clear that during the games Koy Detmer was the #2 because he was the holder and the Eagles placed a high importance on the holder's relationship with the kicker. However, were Donovan McNabb to get injured for more than just in the middle of the game, AJ Feeley WOULD have been the guy taking over. If Donovan tore an ACL and went down for the rest of the year, Feeley would be playing the whole year. That makes him a #2 in my book.

When Vinny Testeverde got injured in I believe it was 1999, Tom Tupa was the guy that came in and threw passes for Bill Parcells during the rest of that game. However, when the next game rolled around, Rick Mirer was the starter. Does that mean Mirer was 3rd string behind Tupa?

Its pretty simple. If you don't like AJ Feeley for whatever reason, you call him a #3 QB. If you like him, you call him a #2 QB. Thats exactly what has been happening in the media. I've not seen one single reporter who liked Feeley, refer to him as a #3 QB in Philly.

At the beginning of the season Philly fans openly chanted for AJ Feeley to come in and start in place of an ineffective McNabb. You think that sounds like a guy that is third string?

Ask AJ himself, he said it openly when he first came here, he had an understanding with the coaches that Koy was listed #2 because he was the holder, but if McNabb were to go down for a matter of games AJ would be the starter.

For those of you confused there is a rule. The number of players you get to activate any given game-day is like 46 or 47...plus one "emergency third quarterback" That emergency QB suits up and stays out on the sidelines, and once he is inserted into the game for ANY reason prior to the 4th quarter, neither of the 2 quarterbacks listed on the active roster can come back in the game. If the Eagles were to list AJ Feeley as the 2nd QB, and Detmer as the third emergency QB, Detmer would not be allowed to go onto the field to hold for the kicker...because if he did, neither McNabb nor Feeley would be allowed back in the game until the 4th Quarter. So that means the Eagles would have had to find another holder that their kicker Akers was comfortable with...and Akers has been kicking with Detmer holding for quite a while.

The Eagles just decided that if McNabb went down, the difference between Feeley and Detmer was small enough that it was more worth it to have Detmer be the #2 so that he could hold...however when you take the holding out of the equation, as in if McNabb got injured for the longterm, the starting job goes to Feeley.

ckparrothead said:
Its been talked about over and over, and its been made quite clear that during the games Koy Detmer was the #2 because he was the holder and the Eagles placed a high importance on the holder's relationship with the kicker. However, were Donovan McNabb to get injured for more than just in the middle of the game, AJ Feeley WOULD have been the guy taking over. If Donovan tore an ACL and went down for the rest of the year, Feeley would be playing the whole year. That makes him a #2 in my book.

When Vinny Testeverde got injured in I believe it was 1999, Tom Tupa was the guy that came in and threw passes for Bill Parcells during the rest of that game. However, when the next game rolled around, Rick Mirer was the starter. Does that mean Mirer was 3rd string behind Tupa?

Its pretty simple. If you don't like AJ Feeley for whatever reason, you call him a #3 QB. If you like him, you call him a #2 QB. Thats exactly what has been happening in the media. I've not seen one single reporter who liked Feeley, refer to him as a #3 QB in Philly.

At the beginning of the season Philly fans openly chanted for AJ Feeley to come in and start in place of an ineffective McNabb. You think that sounds like a guy that is third string?

Ask AJ himself, he said it openly when he first came here, he had an understanding with the coaches that Koy was listed #2 because he was the holder, but if McNabb were to go down for a matter of games AJ would be the starter.

For those of you confused there is a rule. The number of players you get to activate any given game-day is like 46 or 47...plus one "emergency third quarterback" That emergency QB suits up and stays out on the sidelines, and once he is inserted into the game for ANY reason prior to the 4th quarter, neither of the 2 quarterbacks listed on the active roster can come back in the game. If the Eagles were to list AJ Feeley as the 2nd QB, and Detmer as the third emergency QB, Detmer would not be allowed to go onto the field to hold for the kicker...because if he did, neither McNabb nor Feeley would be allowed back in the game until the 4th Quarter. So that means the Eagles would have had to find another holder that their kicker Akers was comfortable with...and Akers has been kicking with Detmer holding for quite a while.

The Eagles just decided that if McNabb went down, the difference between Feeley and Detmer was small enough that it was more worth it to have Detmer be the #2 so that he could hold...however when you take the holding out of the equation, as in if McNabb got injured for the longterm, the starting job goes to Feeley.

I think you cleared that up, if people listened. But if they remember Detmer going in last year..they won't understand. But your statement was right on the money and straight to the real point. Most fans didn't know that agreement was in place.

ckparrothead said:

Don't you wish that you could save posts like this and just cut and paste the next time the issue comes up..... :cool:

Aj Feeley was the third Qb in the depth chart because he wasn't a great holder. He was not the backup of Donovan McNabb however.

Look guys, the whole point is, AJ Feeley is a Third string qb period. He was a third string qb in the depth chart period. No way around it weather he was a holder or not he was just hte third qb in that depth chart. The job of a second string qb is really important and when he can't keep holding duties then he isn't worth nothing and thus should be placed third in the chart. As a matter of fact I thought Koy Detmer played extremely well.

Good grief people....

We know the story "Detmer was a holder". Fact is, Feeley was released prior to the 2002 season, and BARELY made the team, Mirer almost beat him out if I remember right.

Then Detmer came in, adn got hurt, THEN Feeley started.

Now, I know the stinking contention, and I have faith in Feeley's ability, HOWEVER there is NO WAY to substanciate that he was 3rd on the depth chart because he was a better holder. What if Feeley starts? Do we make Jay the 3rd string QB backed up by Sage because Sage is a better holder? etc. etc. etc. It's a stuipid argument. "this guys a great QB, but he can't hold a football on it's tip while a guy kicks it". Sheesh. If the guy can run a team, then he ought to be able to hold the damn football to be kicked. I think feeley is special, but he was a third stringer. He's not going to accept 3rd string money, and less playing time because Detmer holds a ball better. The guys a fighter, he'd work his *** off to get that 2nd string spot.

Phinzone said:
Good grief people....

We know the story "Detmer was a holder". Fact is, Feeley was released prior to the 2002 season, and BARELY made the team, Mirer almost beat him out if I remember right.

Now, I know the stinking contention, and I have faith in Feeley's ability, HOWEVER there is NO WAY to substanciate that he was 3rd on the depth chart because he was a better holder. What if Feeley starts? Do we make Jay the 3rd string QB backed up by Sage because Sage is a better holder? etc. etc. etc. It's a stuipid argument. "this guys a great QB, but he can't hold a football on it's tip while a guy kicks it". Sheesh. If the guy can run a team, then he ought to be able to hold the damn football to be kicked. I think feeley is special, but he was a third stringer. He's not going to accept 3rd string money, and less playing time because Detmer holds a ball better. The guys a fighter, he'd work his *** off to get that 2nd string spot.
Oh yeah?!?!? Well, you spelled "substantiate" wrong!!:nana:

inFINSible said:
Oh yeah?!?!? Well, you spelled "substantiate" wrong!!:nana:

lol, thank you Mr. Belding I'll be sure to watch that in the future :D

Phinzone said:
Good grief people....

If Sage was a better holding then Sage should be 2nd string quarterback. Holder is very important.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
If Sage was a better holding then Sage should be 2nd string quarterback. Holder is very important.

So, it's your conention that Feeley is considered starter material for the Miami dolphins, was supposed to step up had Mcnabb gone down for an extended period of time and lead his team to victory.....but he can't hold a ball on it's tip........

So I guess we're REALLY in trouble. If feeley can't hold a ball on it's tip for a kicker to kick, what chance does he have of learning our offense and leading our team if he can't balanace a ball on it's tip? It's a very stupid argument to even be having.

The FACT is, Detmer beat the pans off of AJ before the 2002 season. So badly in fact that Feeley was cut due to a full roster, and later resigned. He barely beat mirer out for the 3rd string job. Then Mcnabb got hurt, DETMER started and did a VERY good job. Unfortunately he got injured and Feeley stepped up and did a good job as well. Which one was better? Detmer had a GREAT game in his previous start, THAT is why he was STILL the 2nd string QB. Not because he can balance a ball on it's griggin tip.

Back
Top Bottom