Feeley was NOT a 3rd String QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley was NOT a 3rd String QB

DeDolfan said:
Just like last winter when this was up "for vote", I just can not but into the "Detmer was #2 cuz he holds" argument. If that were true and feeley was clearly the better QB then, IMO, the logical solution to that would be to list Detmer at another position. No rule that I'm aware of says that you are compelled to carry 3 QBs. List him as another DB. So you carry an "extra" DB instead of 3 qBs. Besides, IMO, if Feeley was the better QB, then he should've started instead of Detmer after mcNabb broke his ankle. THAT would seem logical to me anyway. But, "what do I know" ?

One more try......

Feeley was clearly the #3 in 2002. Please read that again. FEELEY WAS THE #3 IN 2002. Do I have to type it again? And YES, the HOLDER ISSUE was real.

In 2002, when McNabb and Detmer were hurt, the Eagles signed Tim Hasselbeck to be the backup to Feeley AND BE THE HOLDER.

Two years ago, Hasselbeck was in a close battle with A.J. Feeley for Philadelphia’s No. 3 quarterback spot behind Donovan McNabb and Koy Detmer. Feeley won the job in a close race, but Hasselbeck was brought back when McNabb and later Detmer were injured. He appeared in two games late in the season as a holder and was Feeley’s backup when McNabb and Detmer were out.

Also, when Detmer began to heal, he was brought back slowly as the #2 QB AND THE HOLDER.

Detmer has backed up Feeley the last two weeks, and was the holder on kicks.

THE DEBATE IS ABOUT THE 2003 SEASON.

You're solution wouldn't have been feasible because there is an extra roster slot reserved for the #3 QB. If they list Detmer at another position, they have to sign a 4th QB and give up a player at another position.

One more point on this topic. The debate over whether Feeley was 2nd or 3rd string is pointless. The fact is that the Dolphins preferred Feeley, otherwise they would have traded for Detmer.

It is entirely possible that the Eagles ranked Detmer higher because he is a better fit for their system. I just can't see Detmer fitting the Fins system. He is a classic WCO QB. Feeley is much bigger and is prototype size for a pocket QB.

DeDolfan said:
Just like last winter when this was up "for vote", I just can not but into the "Detmer was #2 cuz he holds" argument. If that were true and feeley was clearly the better QB then, IMO, the logical solution to that would be to list Detmer at another position. No rule that I'm aware of says that you are compelled to carry 3 QBs. List him as another DB. So you carry an "extra" DB instead of 3 qBs. Besides, IMO, if Feeley was the better QB, then he should've started instead of Detmer after mcNabb broke his ankle. THAT would seem logical to me anyway. But, "what do I know" ?

That makes no sense and it is very illogical.

doesnt makea difference he our qb now..lets hope he can get the job done...

FinfanInBuffalo said:
One more try......

Feeley was clearly the #3 in 2002. Please read that again. FEELEY WAS THE #3 IN 2002. Do I have to type it again? And YES, the HOLDER ISSUE was real.

In 2002, when McNabb and Detmer were hurt, the Eagles signed Tim Hasselbeck to be the backup to Feeley AND BE THE HOLDER.

Also, when Detmer began to heal, he was brought back slowly as the #2 QB AND THE HOLDER.

THE DEBATE IS ABOUT THE 2003 SEASON.

You're solution wouldn't have been feasible because there is an extra roster slot reserved for the #3 QB. If they list Detmer at another position, they have to sign a 4th QB and give up a player at another position.

1) The debate is NOT about the 2003 season. It is about whether or not Feeley was a 3rd string QB or not. Read the thread title again.

2) Would they have to sign a 4th QB? He could still be an emergency QB at another position much like it was with us a couple yrs ago with one of our guys, forget his name tho. But even with this all aside, i still ask that why didn't Feeley start instead of Detmer if he was "truly" the better QB [after McNabb went down] ? The holder issue thing has nothing to do with that but yet nobody seems to be able to answer that tho! ;)

FinfanInBuffalo said:
One more point on this topic. The debate over whether Feeley was 2nd or 3rd string is pointless. The fact is that the Dolphins preferred Feeley, otherwise they would have traded for Detmer.

It is entirely possible that the Eagles ranked Detmer higher because he is a better fit for their system. I just can't see Detmer fitting the Fins system. He is a classic WCO QB. Feeley is much bigger and is prototype size for a pocket QB.

I agree that it is pointless, but i didn't bring it up either.

DeDolfan said:
1) The debate is NOT about the 2003 season. It is about whether or not Feeley was a 3rd string QB or not. Read the thread title again.

2) Would they have to sign a 4th QB? He could still be an emergency QB at another position much like it was with us a couple yrs ago with one of our guys, forget his name tho. But even with this all aside, i still ask that why didn't Feeley start instead of Detmer if he was "truly" the better QB [after McNabb went down] ? The holder issue thing has nothing to do with that but yet nobody seems to be able to answer that tho! ;)

DeDolfan, I can't figure out why this is not getting through to you, you're usually a whole lot more on the ball...;)

IN 2002, when Mcnabb got hurt, DETMER was the SECOND STRING QB....NO BODY is arguing that.

After DETMER got hurt FEELEY played so well in the following 5 games and the next preseason(***WHICH BRINGS US TO 2003***) that by general consensus.....by intimations of the coaching staff.....and from Feeley himself.....It was UNDERSTOOD that DETMER would be the number TWO QB while McNabb was active, and he would also be the number TWO QB IF McNabb got hurt.

Technically you are right...Feeley was never a second string QB.

But I ASSURE YOU that it's 2003 that's in contention, so stop with the "why did Detmer start instead of Feeley" argument....IT DOESN"T APPLY!

inFINSible said:
DeDolfan, I can't figure out why this is not getting through to you, you're usually a whole lot more on the ball...;)

IN 2002, when Mcnabb got hurt, DETMER was the SECOND STRING QB....NO BODY is arguing that.

After DETMER got hurt FEELEY played so well in the following 5 games and the next preseason(***WHICH BRINGS US TO 2003***) that by general consensus.....by intimations of the coaching staff.....and from Feeley himself.....It was UNDERSTOOD that DETMER would be the number TWO QB while McNabb was active, and he would also be the number TWO QB IF McNabb got hurt.

Technically you are right...Feeley was never a second string QB.

But I ASSURE YOU that it's 2003 that's in contention, so stop with the "why did Detmer start instead of Feeley" argument....IT DOESN"T APPLY!

Oh, I see what you're saying now. I was referring to the 02 season which is what it all started from last winter when it first broke about his coming here, etc. I was just staying in the "past", I reckon! :cry: :D
So far in the past that I didn't see today !! :eek: Thanks!!

DeDolfan said:
Oh, I see what you're saying now. I was referring to the 02 season which is what it all started from last winter when it first broke about his coming here, etc. I was just staying in the "past", I reckon! :cry: :D
So far in the past that I didn't see today !! :eek: Thanks!!
Sorry to go postal on ya... ;)

At the time, (which we are not arguing about) AJF had NEVER played a game before, he was a rookie. Detmer was the established back-up. It was his play AFTER this point that changed everything.

:wall:

Back
Top Bottom