Feeley was NOT a 3rd String QB | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley was NOT a 3rd String QB

Phinzone said:
Ok, I give up...

Feeley was really a 2nd string QB held back by his inability to balance a ball on it's tip.

Despite having a great game and great training camps, the Eagles only keep paying Detmer 2nd string money because he can hold a football well.

We brought Turk back because he's a good holder, not because he's loads better than Royals and is a more than adequate punter.

happy?

Look...

I am under the impression that you know more about Andy Reid than himself. You seem to go into eagles staff and chat with everyone about the team. I guess the world is wrong and you are right because I haven't heard from Andy Reid himself or read any articles that AJ Feeley was really the 2nd string quarterback and not Koy Detmer.

of course... other than pro football talk.

juniorseau55 said:
Look...

I am under the impression that you know more about Andy Reid than himself. You seem to go into eagles staff and chat with everyone about the team. I guess the world is wrong and you are right because I haven't heard from Andy Reid himself or read any articles that AJ Feeley was really the 2nd string quarterback and not Koy Detmer.

of course... other than pro football talk.

and I'm under the impression that you didn't read my posts, or catch that sarcasm in my post.....

An important point that people are missing is that in 2002 Feeley was the third string QB. That's why Detmer started the game after McNabb got hurt. Feeley had only been with the team since 2001 and was only in his second year in the league. Detmer had been on the team since 1997.

It was Feeley's performance during the 2002 season that demonstrated his talent to the Eagles. It is the during 2003 season that the claim is made that Feeley would have replaced McNabb if McNabb had missed games. Since McNabb didn't miss any games in 2003, we will never know for sure.

I I remember correctly when Mcnabb Struggled early last year. People stared chanting for Feeley not Detmer. That has to mean something.

lereux said:
I I remember correctly when Mcnabb Struggled early last year. People stared chanting for Feeley not Detmer. That has to mean something.

It means detmer got hurt early, and didn't get to show what he had. What he did show was VERY good however. In the one game he started, he was 18 for 26 for 227 yards and 2 TD's. And he rushed for 1 TD. Detmer did VERY well, he did NOT lose the 2nd string spot, he got injured, allowing feeley to start 5 games.

That's the misconception. Feeley did NOT outplay Detmer. He played VERY well for a 3rd string QB, and has a lot of potential. But Detmer outplayed him on the field as well as in camp. Had detmer not gotten hurt, they wouldn't even have THOUGHT to bring in Feeley. He played well, but Detmer played exceptionally well. People just can't seem to grasp that damn concept.

Phinzone said:
It means detmer got hurt early, and didn't get to show what he had. What he did show was VERY good however. In the one game he started, he was 18 for 26 for 227 yards and 2 TD's. And he rushed for 1 TD. Detmer did VERY well, he did NOT lose the 2nd string spot, he got injured, allowing feeley to start 5 games.

That's the misconception. Feeley did NOT outplay Detmer. He played VERY well for a 3rd string QB, and has a lot of potential. But Detmer outplayed him on the field as well as in camp. Had detmer not gotten hurt, they wouldn't even have THOUGHT to bring in Feeley. He played well, but Detmer played exceptionally well. People just can't seem to grasp that damn concept.

Exactly, Feeley did NOT beat out Detmer, nor could he win the starting job in college. He has potential but no heart. Jay has less potential but tons of heart. This is the same story every year. Every year they bring in Jays replacement, and every year Jay wins the starting job. Of the last three years anyone and everyone will have to admit this is by far the easiest battle for Jay to win.
Give Jay and the OL some time to jell and Feeley time to get comfortable holding a clipboard and baring any injuries we will be fine. If AJ is forced in ahead of Jay, we will know they are selling this year for the chance that AJ will some day turn into a NFL QB. But that won't happen b/c Wanny knows this is his last year as the Fins coach, and can't afford to wait another year. Jay gives us the best chance to win now and he WILL be our starting QB baring injuries....PERIOD

pigskinguy said:
GUYS! I think the horse is dead. We can stop beating it now.
clear.gif
clear.gif

ckparrothead said:
Its been talked about over and over, and its been made quite clear that during the games Koy Detmer was the #2 because he was the holder and the Eagles placed a high importance on the holder's relationship with the kicker. However, were Donovan McNabb to get injured for more than just in the middle of the game, AJ Feeley WOULD have been the guy taking over. If Donovan tore an ACL and went down for the rest of the year, Feeley would be playing the whole year. That makes him a #2 in my book.

When Vinny Testeverde got injured in I believe it was 1999, Tom Tupa was the guy that came in and threw passes for Bill Parcells during the rest of that game. However, when the next game rolled around, Rick Mirer was the starter. Does that mean Mirer was 3rd string behind Tupa?

Its pretty simple. If you don't like AJ Feeley for whatever reason, you call him a #3 QB. If you like him, you call him a #2 QB. Thats exactly what has been happening in the media. I've not seen one single reporter who liked Feeley, refer to him as a #3 QB in Philly.

At the beginning of the season Philly fans openly chanted for AJ Feeley to come in and start in place of an ineffective McNabb. You think that sounds like a guy that is third string?

Ask AJ himself, he said it openly when he first came here, he had an understanding with the coaches that Koy was listed #2 because he was the holder, but if McNabb were to go down for a matter of games AJ would be the starter.

For those of you confused there is a rule. The number of players you get to activate any given game-day is like 46 or 47...plus one "emergency third quarterback" That emergency QB suits up and stays out on the sidelines, and once he is inserted into the game for ANY reason prior to the 4th quarter, neither of the 2 quarterbacks listed on the active roster can come back in the game. If the Eagles were to list AJ Feeley as the 2nd QB, and Detmer as the third emergency QB, Detmer would not be allowed to go onto the field to hold for the kicker...because if he did, neither McNabb nor Feeley would be allowed back in the game until the 4th Quarter. So that means the Eagles would have had to find another holder that their kicker Akers was comfortable with...and Akers has been kicking with Detmer holding for quite a while.

The Eagles just decided that if McNabb went down, the difference between Feeley and Detmer was small enough that it was more worth it to have Detmer be the #2 so that he could hold...however when you take the holding out of the equation, as in if McNabb got injured for the longterm, the starting job goes to Feeley.

One (2 actually) question about this CK. If what you're saying is really true, [about Detmer the #2 cuz he holds] then why didn't Feeley start the first gm McNabb was out instead of Detmer? Also, in that gm, who did the holding duties then?

DeDolfan said:
One (2 actually) question about this CK. If what you're saying is really true, [about Detmer the #2 cuz he holds] then why didn't Feeley start the first gm McNabb was out instead of Detmer? Also, in that gm, who did the holding duties then?

I don't think anyone questions that Detmer was the #2 QB in 2002. The debate is who was the #2 in 2003.

My guess is that Detmer did the holding.

Just like last winter when this was up "for vote", I just can not but into the "Detmer was #2 cuz he holds" argument. If that were true and feeley was clearly the better QB then, IMO, the logical solution to that would be to list Detmer at another position. No rule that I'm aware of says that you are compelled to carry 3 QBs. List him as another DB. So you carry an "extra" DB instead of 3 qBs. Besides, IMO, if Feeley was the better QB, then he should've started instead of Detmer after mcNabb broke his ankle. THAT would seem logical to me anyway. But, "what do I know" ?

The Argument Is Not About 2002 It's About 2003....for God's Sake How Many Friggin Times Does It Have To Be Said Before It Gets Through Your Friggin Skull!!

Back
Top Bottom