Fins are impressed with Mallet | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins are impressed with Mallet

This may sound crazy, but should the Vikings have genuine interest and stand to take him at 12, I would not be opposed to trading up to 9 with the Cowboys to grab Mallett. They are interested in Pouncey, who should be around at 15.

Mallett sounds like the real deal and our franchise's second opportunity to get a great QB who falls because of bogus behavior concerns.

Another option would be to draft whichever QB is there at 15 between Mallett and Ponder. Should both be there, Mallett is our guy.

evidently the patriots are quite enamored with jake locker...the colts are said to be scouting qbs hard also

Thats a good question, but spending that much time on a QB is normally a good indicator they want to get a conviction on a guy. I tend to go with telling them they have no interest as the smokescreen.

If they hated him would it would be worth spending the time to get one more prospect to drop a notch, wouldn't that really only possibly drop a defensive propsect possibly to us? I don't see any other offensive prospects that this would effect in regards to our position. I suppose it could help our tradedown possibilities though.

I tend to think this way as well. Having spent more time with Mallett than any other guy is a technical thing. They've met a lot of the other QBs a lot of times, had private workouts, etc. It only gets brought up because at this moment Dol-Fans have like 80+ percent approval rating of the Dolphins coming out of this Draft with Ryan Mallett...and so a beat writer (Barry Jackson) is bringing it up.

But they have definitely gone out of their way to inform the local and national journalists that their interest in Mallett is minimal. Jason La Canfora came out with that report that Miami has no interest in Mallett and they're really interested in D.J. Williams. I've had someone local confirm the same thing to me, that the Dolphins are putting it out there that they only wanted Mallett present so that D.J. Williams would have someone to throw him the ball. That sounds like a line to me. Also I had a different local tell me that the word he got at the Combine was that they didn't like Mallett in interviews and they think he's a jerk or douche or some such. Meanwhile Peter King is a connected guy, did a big thing on Mallett the week after we did, and he seemed to go out of his way to express that he doesn't think Miami are in it for Mallett, but rather Seattle would be the spot...so who knows if Miami's leaks got to Peter King's ears.

Is our ship that leaky? Or is it a smokescreen?

The Dolphins Front Office is full of surprises. No one thought we were going to be the team that Brandon Marshall got traded to last season. everyone thought he was going to Seattle. Who knows..maybe we do have a legitimate interest in Mallet (which I have no problem with)

I think if Mallet's there we'll take him, but if not hopefully we'll trade down and take ponder.

I tend to think this way as well. Having spent more time with Mallett than any other guy is a technical thing. They've met a lot of the other QBs a lot of times, had private workouts, etc. It only gets brought up because at this moment Dol-Fans have like 80+ percent approval rating of the Dolphins coming out of this Draft with Ryan Mallett...and so a beat writer (Barry Jackson) is bringing it up.

But they have definitely gone out of their way to inform the local and national journalists that their interest in Mallett is minimal. Jason La Canfora came out with that report that Miami has no interest in Mallett and they're really interested in D.J. Williams. I've had someone local confirm the same thing to me, that the Dolphins are putting it out there that they only wanted Mallett present so that D.J. Williams would have someone to throw him the ball. That sounds like a line to me. Also I had a different local tell me that the word he got at the Combine was that they didn't like Mallett in interviews and they think he's a jerk or douche or some such. Meanwhile Peter King is a connected guy, did a big thing on Mallett the week after we did, and he seemed to go out of his way to express that he doesn't think Miami are in it for Mallett, but rather Seattle would be the spot...so who knows if Miami's leaks got to Peter King's ears.

Is our ship that leaky? Or is it a smokescreen?

its difficult to guess what this front office is thinking which leads to a lot of bizarre speculation like Albert Breer's piece of crap article from last week. I highly doubt they would waste time heavily scouting Mallett just for a smokescreen

Ah, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

Bam, I just broke out the Shakespeare on you fools!!

I dunno. He would be the highest rated QB with the most likely chance to fall that far to them.

Accuracy issues aside . . . what a great situation for Locker if he were to go to New England. He gets to learn behind an all time great. He already has the intangibles and athletic ability . . . he gets that Belicheck system down pat he could be a worthy successor. I know many of you probably want that to happen . . . but if Belichek drafts him, I think I can trust his opinion and what he sees. Locker would get atleast 3 or 4 years to sit and learn everything he needs to be successful.

It is a smart move by both Indy and New England to consider QB options, though it could be a ploy to encourage those early 2nd round teams who passed in round 1 to trade up and get their man they were hoping to fall in round 2.

If all you want is Big Arm and Size out of a Qb why on earth aren't you begging for us to take Jamarcus Russel out of retirement?
(not saying Mallett = Russell, just that you need more than a big arm and big body)

Yes I am begging for Jamarcus. You honed in on EXACTLY what I was thinking.

I am actually clammoring for a big armed, big body, risk taking QB who WINS GAMES. Jamarcus is a fat lazy big armed loser

As excuses go, suggesting we only worked out Mallet so he could throw to Williams is about as convincing as saying we drafted a wide receivers family. To me, that screams "line"(and an absurd one at that). You just don't spend this much time on one prospect if you are not interested in getting a read on his personality.

I personally am a Peter King fan. Despite the fact i have to stop reading any article he writes concerning Peyton Manning or Brett Favre(because of his creepy love affair he has with both), i generally find him well informed and willing to admit mistakes and make corrections(anti-Mel Kiper). I mention that because Bill Parcells, despite no longer being associated with the team at all, took a particular delight in deceiving King when they both worked in New York. King mentions it often, and they are even highlights of it in old press conferences from back then. Perhaps im connecting things that have nothing to do with each other, but i would not put it past his protege's to be targetting King for misinformation.

At the end of the day, we all seem to have the feeling that something "just doesn't add up". I have little doubt thats Irelands intent and, to me, that screams smokescreen.

Back
Top Bottom