Fins Negotiating Extension for McDonald | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Negotiating Extension for McDonald

Getting Kiko off the field would benefit everyone so might as well make TJ the new Will.

I'm not joking either.[/QUOTE]

LMAO.....

I was hoping for a 2-year deal initially, so as long as this isn't big money or too big of a long term commitment then I'm good with it.

But this begs the question.... Why sign him to a one year contract in the first place?

04-011.jpg
We'll see my friend....I would bet the house on the over based on your prediction of 6-10....We got 4 wins in the bag with Buffalo and the Jets.

All this drama over an extension that hasn't happened yet and no details? Wow!!
At least some of you are consistent nags. I'll give you credit for that. No matter the move, we can always rest assured that certain fans will whip out their drum and start beating that same sky is falling tune.

They want to be right so bad I can taste it. Let Gase fool them again (by being successful) and watch how fast they flip or claim he just got lucky....Again.

I was hoping for a 2-year deal initially, so as long as this isn't big money or too big of a long term commitment then I'm good with it.

But this begs the question.... Why sign him to a one year contract in the first place?

See if he comes in with his head on straight and does what he needs to do in the locker room I guess.

Odd to say the least, hes got SS written all over him. That money has already him allocated to #20. Unless that bonus/extension is fraudulent somethings missing.

might as well consider the big nickel considering what we have behind Alonso and Timmons at LB.

hybrid safety/line backers are the thing in the NFL right now. Mark Barron is playing ILB for the Rams, Deone Bucannon will play a similar hybrid role for Arizona. consindering the creativity of the offenses these days, it's not a bad idea. and let's be honest, are we really losing anything vs. the run with T.J. McDonald over a Mike Hull or Neville Hewitt? i don't think so.

i think McDonald is going to do well this season, but i'm shocked they are supposedly talking long term deal without ever playing a down in Miami. i really think this has to do with Tannenbaum screwing up on Olivier Vernon's deal before the 2015 season.

I think he's just too good to walk away from. Guy was a beast for the Rams and definitely is an ascending player. It's not going to matter who's free or strong when we play 2 man under or cover 2 which are our most used coverages relating to the players we have at CB.

I think he's just too good to walk away from. Guy was a beast for the Rams and definitely is an ascending player. It's not going to matter who's free or strong when we play 2 man under or cover 2 which are our most used coverages relating to the players we have at CB.

TJ was a beast for the Trojans too. He must've really been ballin' in camp. I think it's a great move to try and extend him.

Trips formations and a poor run defense say otherwise.

My guess is that the coaches want to stock up on big hitters in the middle, to plug up the hole in the "Wide Nine" defense.

The weakness in the "Wide Nine" defense is the hole in the middle.

Last year, Kiko was MLB, and he's not really a head-on crusher. In fact, sometimes he gets run over. And Reshad Jones got hurt. As a result, opposing teams were repeatedly gashing us in the middle.

This year, we're going out of our way to sign 260 lb MLB Rey Maualuga, and 220 lb safety TJ McDonald.

The message we are trying to send is "Yes, you can run your RB through the middle of our Wide Nine defense. But he's going to pay the price, and he might have to be carted off the field. That hole you see is now a killzone"

My guess is that the coaches want to stock up on big hitters in the middle, to plug up the hole in the "Wide Nine" defense.

The weakness in the "Wide Nine" defense is the hole in the middle.

Last year, Kiko was MLB, and he's not really a head-on crusher. In fact, sometimes he gets run over. And Reshad Jones got hurt. As a result, opposing teams were repeatedly gashing us in the middle.

This year, we're going out of our way to sign 260 lb MLB Rey Maualuga, and 220 lb safety TJ McDonald.

The message we are trying to send is "Yes, you can run your RB through the middle of our Wide Nine defense. But he's going to pay the price, and he might have to be carted off the field. That hole you see is now a killzone"

The wide 9 is buzzword and nothing more. It was never meant to be a front scheme like we use it. It's simply supposed to be variation of a pass rush alignment that puts DE's in a pure pass rush position. And it's only supposed to be a variation b/c it has drawbacks in pressuring the QB too. It creates a longer path to the QB and also lends itself to putting edge rushers in the worst place they could be to sack a QB which is behind them when running the hoop to try and get there allowing the QB to easily step up in the pocket.

It also creates many issues along the front 7 vs the run, not just up the middle. It allows offensive lineman an easier path to the 2nd level and it makes the DE's susceptible to traps, draws, counters, and cutbacks on the edges.

DC's have used this it for decades for the mere purpose to change up their pass rush looks and it was only used by one HC successfully vs the run in combating a certain play vs one specific team in the early 90's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom