Fins Negotiating Extension for McDonald | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins Negotiating Extension for McDonald

I'm ok with this. He can be a great player for us and he's loving it in Miami and has stayed out of trouble. I imagine him and Jones back there. When was the last time we had two pro bowl caliber players playing safety for us at the same time?

Ozzy rules!!
A long time ago. You'd have to go to our 70's SB teams w Foley and Scott w honorable mention to the 80's Blackwood brothers, 90's Louis Oliver and Jarvis Williams, Louis Oliver and Gene Atkins and possibly Brock Marion and ??? in the early 2000's. Perhaps I missed a duo so where.

I like it. He's a good player and a tone setter. Miami needs players like that.

might as well consider the big nickel considering what we have behind Alonso and Timmons at LB.

hybrid safety/line backers are the thing in the NFL right now. Mark Barron is playing ILB for the Rams, Deone Bucannon will play a similar hybrid role for Arizona. consindering the creativity of the offenses these days, it's not a bad idea. and let's be honest, are we really losing anything vs. the run with T.J. McDonald over a Mike Hull or Neville Hewitt? i don't think so.

Probably gaining something vs the run (and in coverage) honestly

Good to hear this, guy is a thumper and a playmaker. Also love the idea of him as hybrid LB/S, helping to keep the trash we have at LB off the field. Such a shame he has the suspension.

You don't extend a guy who never played a real snap for you

Happens in FA all the time. Teams throw lots of money and frequently overpay for players who have never played a snap for them. At least they've seen him in practice/preseason and on film review from his time with the Rams.
IMO it's a lower risk than waiting for him to become a FA if they like him as a player (apparently they do).

So if we signed Aaron Rogers you wouldn't get excited? Great logic there.
McDonald has played in the league since 2013, there is more than enough tape on him for the team to decide.

Happens in FA all the time. Teams throw lots of money and frequently overpay for players who have never played a snap for them. At least they've seen him in practice/preseason and on film review from his time with the Rams.
IMO it's a lower risk than waiting for him to become a FA if they like him as a player (apparently they do).

You both are missing the difference b/w a FA being signed (which McDonald already is) and being offered an extension.

You both are missing the difference b/w a FA being signed (which McDonald already is) and being offered an extension.

Yea I've never seen any team sign a FA and then extend him before the season even starts.

My understanding is that he was signed as a FA on a 1 yr deal. Doesn't that mean he's a FA in 2018?
If so, isnt it wiser to extend him now (assuming its a team friendly deal) rather than waiting until he's a FA next offseason.
Of course, this all under the assumption that he has impressed throughout TC and preseason. Coming off a suspension, perhaps they feel they can lock him up dirt cheap.

My understanding is that he was signed as a FA on a 1 yr deal. Doesn't that mean he's a FA in 2018?
If so, isnt it wiser to extend him now (assuming its a team friendly deal) rather than waiting until he's a FA next offseason.
Of course, this all under the assumption that he has impressed throughout TC and preseason. Coming off a suspension, perhaps they feel they can lock him up dirt cheap.

Agree. This is all well and good only if it is a deal for us and relatively cheap. Thing is we have a penchant for dolling out undeserved guaranteed money. We'll have to wait and see about the numbers.

I'm sure they're not throwing bags of money at him. This could turn out to be a smart move. Mcdonald, from a physical standpoint, is a beast. He can play SS/Hybrid Lber. Sign him for cheap now before he's worth double

Now this team won't draft Derwin James or Mincah Fitzpatrick to play FS for cause we have ****ing TJ McDonald.

Lmao.

Back
Top Bottom