fins rate Matt Barkley slightly ahead of Luck in 2012 draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

fins rate Matt Barkley slightly ahead of Luck in 2012 draft

If this isn't Armando Salguero stepping up and saying pretty point blank that enduro was correct all along, then I don't know what is:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/03/2530456/miami-dolphins-flirtations-with.html

Look at what Armando says in there, complete with quotes from coaches, etc. Miami was desperate to get hold of Carson Palmer but they got rebuffed. And eventually when Mike Brown relented, his previous discussions with both Jeff Ireland AND Steve Ross led him to hold off the Oakland Raiders and give Miami first dibs on renewing their interest in Palmer...but at that time Miami was 0-5 and Steve Ross didn't think it was a good idea anymore.

I mean at this point, I'm willing to believe enduro.

1. He said that Jeff Ireland loved Pat Devlin. We ended up with him as a UDFA. Was enduro entirely accurate there? No. His exact words were that Miami is going to trade down from the 1st round to the 2nd round and pick up Pat Devlin because he's the next Tom Brady. That sounds kind of ridiculous now as we see Devlin became a UDFA but at the same time, the gist of it was, Jeff Ireland likes Pat Devlin, and sure enough he snagged him from the open market.

2. He said we would draft Mike Pouncey. That happened.

3. He implied that we would be interested in DeAngelo Williams. That interest was real and reported, but the fact of the matter is the bidding on him got way out of control and he signed a contract with Carolina that was worth like double what you saw guys like Reggie Bush and Ahmad Bradshaw get.

4. And the final straw is, he said all along that the plan became Carson Palmer. Armando Salguero now says, complete with quotes from coaches, that this was indeed true...Miami was hot for Palmer, tried like mad to get him, was rebuffed at every turn by Mike Brown, and finally in the end just outbid by Oakland.

To me this is proof that enduro was legit.

It's also proof that Jeff Ireland should not be our General Manager.

interesting....but using some freshman tape 2 years ago as the tipping point b/t luck and barkley sounds assanine to me...

i do think however that barkley has put out the best game tape of any qb this season...kids been fantastic

interesting....but using some freshman tape 2 years ago as the tipping point b/t luck and barkley sounds assanine to me...

i do think however that barkley has put out the best game tape of any qb this season...kids been fantastic

It also sounds like Jeff Ireland.

were not talking about any GM here

Chalk this up to another enduro prediction that appears correct.

The Dolphins allowed Tony Sparano to make his day-after press statement as though Tony would be on for another week at least. Then they found out that the Kansas City Chiefs fired Todd Haley and were hot on Kirk Ferentz and Jeff Fisher. The Dolphins immediately fired Tony Sparano in reaction, and now we have beat writers talking about Bill Cowher and Jeff Fisher being atop their wish list. Of course, Cowher is rumored to be lukewarm at best on the notion of going to Miami to a rebuilding team that has no quarterback...which means that realstically, Jeff Fisher is probably their guy.

Who was the guy enduro said to look out for? Jeff Fisher.

i don't know ck...seems to me jeff fisher would be the fit for the chargers job...

i don't know ck...seems to me jeff fisher would want the chargers job more...
I see Fisher as a perfect fit for Jacksonville but the QB situation might make him think twice. If he comes here (I hope not) or San Diego he will have to revamp the entire defense from the 3-4 to the 4-3.

i don't know ck...seems to me jeff fisher would be the fit for the chargers job...

Chargers have their hands tied behind their back. They're trying to make a playoff run and can't fire Norv until that's done...and Phil Rivers doesn't lose in December/January. Miami has a 3 week jump on them for Fisher if that's who they want.

But color me surprised if that's who they want. They made a mistake hiring one retread in Norv Turner, after making what they ended up feeling was a mistake in hiring a retread Marty Schottenheimer. I don't think they're going to steer toward another retread in Jeff Fisher. I think they're going to try something new.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

I see Fisher as a perfect fit for Jacksonville but the QB situation might make him think twice. If he comes here (I hope not) or San Diego he will have to revamp the entire defense from the 3-4 to the 4-3.

Jacksonville isn't even interested. Jay Gruden, Mike Sherman and Mike Mularkey top their list. That's the reason Miami didn't fire Sparano as soon as Jacksonville fired Del Rio. They didn't perceive Jacksonville as a threat over Fisher or Cowher.

i take it your not a jeff fisher fan ck...imo he's a solid coach...i'd prefer cowher but i'll take fisher...not sure i want to switch to a 43 though if thats what comes with him...

i take it your not a jeff fisher fan ck...imo he's a solid coach...i'd prefer cowher but i'll take fisher...not sure i want to switch to a 43 though if thats what comes with him...

What gave you that impression?

I like Jeff Fisher. I always have. I've always thought he was a classy coach and his teams always seem well prepared, if a little under-talented at times.

Retreads are retreads, it's not necessarily a bad thing. John Fox is a retread and that seems to be working out. Bill Parcells is the ultimate retread. I labeled Norv Turner a retread mistake because he was a mistake, IMO. I don't think he should have gotten another Head Coach job. I didn't think Wade Phillips should have, either. I made sure to note that Marty Schottenheimer was a retread, but they also feel he was a mistake...I'm not sure I agree that he was a mistake.

I'd like any of the big three guys that keep coming up, Jeff Fisher, Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden.

The idea of Bill Cowher coming and instilling the kind of culture on defense that he instilled in Pittsburgh which still lives on to this day...is HIGHLY appealing. And if you can combine him with a franchise quarterback and a good offensive coordinator, you're gold. But he doesn't seem to want Miami, and I'm not sure what his appetite is for coaching period, especially if it's true that he wants to take over a team that's been built for him already. Also, is his defense the same without Dick LeBeau? Did he benefit from Dick LeBeau as a Monte Kiffin/Jim Johnson level iconic defensive coach?

Jeff Fisher like I said, his teams have always seemed very well prepared and well coached. I don't know if he would move the defense to a 4-3 but I do think he would bring 46 elements to whatever defense he runs, which you can do from the 3-4 as well as the 4-3 (see Rob and Rex Ryans' defenses). What's strange is if you look at his tenure in Tennessee, his offenses have been eerily consistent ranking in the 10 to 16 area of the NFL on points. His offenses have rarely ranked in the lower half of the league and never lower than #22. I think that's about preparation and game planning. The flip side of that is, he's supposed to be a defensive guy, but his defenses have been much more inconsistent in Tennessee. Sometimes really good, sometimes really bad. Was that lack of talent? I'd like to think so.

And then you have Jon Gruden and the thing that appeals to me most about Gruden is actually his work as a broadcaster. Week to week he's gone to every NFL city, dug into their practices and the way they do things, looked at tape of their offenses during the off season, and he has his finger on what everyone out there is doing. He's a junkie, and he could use the information he's gathered in defensive game planning as well as in deciding how he'd best like to do things on offense. He's studied a lot of college offenses and seems to have an itch to implement a lot of the ideas he's studied. He's maintained his work ethic, waking up at 3:17am every morning and going to watch film at 4am. Jim Leavitt recently went to those film sessions with him before being hired in San Francisco. Those linebackers out in San Fran are doing great and I always loved Leavitt's defensive coaching at USF. I'd love to have him as a Defensive Coordinator. He might be able to steal Bill Callahan away from the Jets to work in Miami in some capacity. Matt Barkley seems like a good fit for Gruden's type of offense. The down side is, the guy is flighty as hell and so don't be surprised if he leaves you at the altar...and also, for all his offensive acumen...his offenses in Tampa were generally terrible. He was carried by Monte Kiffin's defense. But, given what I just noted about Gruden's tireless efforts breaking down other offenses during the off season and week to week...did he help Monte Kiffin be so consistently good on defense? I don't know the answer to that.

Hi Enduro, please ask the horse what he is going to do now that Barkley is staying in school. I guess we are screwed?

Back
Top Bottom