Flores to the Steelers | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores to the Steelers

Minkah: Good thing Flores is the linebacker coach and I'm a safety.

Tomlin: Hi Minkah, we're going to change up our defense and make you our moneybacker aka $ILB

Minkah: I'm still a defensive back, right?

Tomlin: Yeah, we're going to put you with the linebackers now.

Minkah: f*** this.

So he sued mainly because he wanted to be a head coach and didn't get it. Or he gave up because he was so pissed off when other teams left might've picked him. But because he can't find a job because of his lawsuit, he then is willing to take something below head coach. When he most likely would have had an assistant position initially while going though the interviews if it was for positions not just for head coach, but assistant coach positions. There can be an argument about the nfl's effort to hire more black and minority head coaches. But not so much for coordinators, and assistant or position coaches. There are a bunch of coordinators, position coaches, assistant coaches that are black. He definitely would have been hired as a coach, if he wanted that as long as not head coach. Flores was good on defense and a good coordinator. If he didn't have a way sabotaging the offense and with staff under him. I wouldn't have minded him as miami's defensive coordinator, but just not head coach. But knew he wouldn't want that as he was pissed that dolphins didn't want him to be the head coach anymore.

Minkah: Good thing Flores is the linebacker coach and I'm a safety.

Tomlin: Hi Minkah, we're going to change up our defense and make you our moneybacker aka $ILB

Minkah: I'm still a defensive back, right?

Tomlin: Yeah, we're going to put you with the linebackers now.

Minkah: f*** this.
If Minkah gets traded back to us, he can work for Steve, Sam and Patrick. That'd be ok.

His mom stays in Pitt as part of the deal.

Steelers are playing this smart...in a year or two, they will get good draft compensation if Flores becomes a HC again.
Flores is a good coach. There's a reason he rose up the ranks in New England and was viewed as a rising star in league circles prior to getting the dolphins gig. He made mistakes here that cost him his job, but like many other head coaches that get fired, he doesn't stop becoming a valuable commodity in other coaching roles.

Let's be honest, Flores would've been a coach in a heartbeat had he not filed suit. Tomlin being a black coach himself was in a position to not let Flo's career get Kaepernicked and added value to his staff. Good for him. I personally didn't think Flo would coach in the NFL again because whistle blowing especially on race matters is usually social and career suicide.

Ummm. The Dolphins defeated the Patriots WITH Brady in Foxboro in the final game of 2019 season. The Dolphins had nothing to gain in that game. The loss knocked NE into the Wild Card round where they were beaten by the Titans. That is the game the other poster is referring to.
Can you not read? I said LAST 2 years of Flores coaching which is in 2020 and 2021 when Brady is with the Buccaneers and what happened after Dolphins defeated Brady in the final game of the 2019 season? Dolphins did not make the playoffs so it does not mean crap

i told you guys Goodell would get someone to hire him.

IMO essentially a 2-level defacto demotion is appropriate!
I guess he was more desperate for a job because of his lawsuit than he wanted to admit. It seemed like it was head coach or bust I thought. I find it interesting he was so mad he couldn't get a head coaching job from vacancy and his firing from miami, that lead him to do the lawsuit. While he had an issue getting a head coach position, I don't believe he would have had an issue being hired as a coordinator or assistant prior to the lawsuit. An argument could be made about the nfl's hiring issue for black coaches seeing how few there are nfl, but can't say that much for assistant coaches and coordinators that are black in the nfl. I mean miami already has Sam madison and Pat Surtain, Bienemy, Leftwich, Frazier. Flores is a good defensive guy, there's no doubt that he would've been hired in a non head coach position on the defensive side

If any head coach was going to hire Flores, it would be Tomlin. I have no problem with the Steelers hiring him but as you stated, Fitzpatrick might feel differently. Perhaps he will demand to be traded back to the Dolphins now.
That was Gase who he was not happy with forcing him to play out of position, not Flores

Back
Top Bottom