Fomer GM Wolf likes Feeley | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fomer GM Wolf likes Feeley

My two cents.
Love the fact that someone of Wolf's stature thinks so higly of AJ. Especially compared to varios staring and proven winners like Collins, Warner and Garcia. However I do have concerns also. Most of the guys Wolf has spotted and helped create took a few years to develop. The likes of Brooks & Hasslebeck (sp) are still on the rise but also are 3 years plus into their starting roles. I dont know if our team has three years to wait for AJ. The defense does not and Ricky may not either the way he has been worked. Let hope that AJ is more ready than some of Wolf's past protogies (sp).

Brunell came in ready. I think AJ definitely has growing pains, cant help it with a young qb, but with our defense, Ricky and Jay still there, we should be fine.

There have been NO published reports that Wolf had any input as to Feeley when he was interviewing with the Phins.

There has been a lot of speculation that he may have provided the name on this board and others, but the only ones who would know what Wolf had to say would be Wayne, Eddie Jones and whoever else happened to overhear any comment concerning Feeley that Wolf may or may not have made. There has been nothing published which cites a source representing that Wolf even mentioned the name to anyone with the Phins.

Just wanted to clear that up as this has already grown into an urban legend.

This isn't true but I cannot provide a link for now. I will say that this article was not news to me, at all. I had seen and read (not on message boards) that rumor had it Wolf liked AJ Feeley, and there was independant substantiating evidence of this in that the Cleveland Browns were rumored to be the late bidder on Feeley's services right before the Dolphins closed the deal, deciding on just a straight up 2nd rounder instead of a conditional 2nd.

The only news to me, is that Wolf didn't really like Feeley coming out of Oregon. You could have fooled me, because the Packers really scouted the kid and were going to take him, according to rumor, except the Eagles did it one round higher than the Packers did. Back then, Wolf was still a consultant for them I believe.

I'm sorry, but you didn't really clear up anything. Rumor or no, it was published somewhere, otherwise I would not have "known" it. I don't read unsubstantiated, unlinked message board rumors and take them as fact, especially coming from someone like Keith Box (no offense).

And rumor or no, it was published, and now has been proven...so I don't see the point in attempting to discredit the rumor, when it was in fact true.

dreadlockera said:
My two cents.
Love the fact that someone of Wolf's stature thinks so higly of AJ. Especially compared to varios staring and proven winners like Collins, Warner and Garcia. However I do have concerns also. Most of the guys Wolf has spotted and helped create took a few years to develop. The likes of Brooks & Hasslebeck (sp) are still on the rise but also are 3 years plus into their starting roles. I dont know if our team has three years to wait for AJ. The defense does not and Ricky may not either the way he has been worked. Let hope that AJ is more ready than some of Wolf's past protogies (sp).

And this is where the doomsdayers will complain, if Feeley does an average job or below average job they'll say it was a waisted trade, without giving him a shot to develope. So be prepared. ;)
The Garcia,Warner and Collins supporters will be on the "I told you so" wagon.

I'm hoping that by mid season game anylists will be talking about how the Browns screwed up by not going after Feeley, and berate Davis for not listening to Wolf. :D

Favre, Brooks, Hasselback, Brunell and FEELEY? perhaps not but I like the thought:D

Hellion said:
And this is where the doomsdayers will complain, if Feeley does an average job or below average job they'll say it was a waisted trade, without giving him a shot to develope. So be prepared. ;)
The Garcia,Warner and Collins supporters will be on the "I told you so" wagon.

I'm hoping that by mid season game anylists will be talking about how the Browns screwed up by not going after Feeley, and berate Davis for not listening to Wolf. :D

I certainly am not a doomsdayer. I think AJ will be great. My ONLY concern is about timing. If this had happened two years ago :up: :drinkers: . That is not to say he cant be great this year or that even just being consistant would not be enough. I do feel AJ could be the Delhoume (sp) of this year and take us to the promissed land. I just HOPE his learning curve is steep.

I'm hoping that by mid season game anylists will be talking about how the Browns screwed up by not going after Feeley, and berate Davis for not listening to Wolf.

Me too. But guys, be prepared for this to become a reality. It doesn't mean the Dolphins will be this awesome team with the passing offense being superb etc etc, because every year whenever you plug one hole another one springs up, however be prepared for AJ Feeley to look GOOD. And I mean, real good. We've just set him loose in an offense that we've been desperately trying to upgrade for a few years, and now is the time when the dividends might be paid in a number of areas...even along the OL. Chambers, is a star quality WR, and he's in his 4th year, a CONTRACT year...he's going to play completely lights out. McMichael is also vying for that contract extension, now in his third year, and coming into his own. We just got David Boston on the rebound from a burnt experience in San Diego where he lost his clout, and desperately wants to get it back (reunited with a WR coach who is like a dad to him, and who considers him like a son). We've got an All-Pro runningback coming off a bad year...where he said he got too cute with his running and wants to return to running like he did in 2002.

This could, emphasis on the word could, turn into one of those offenses that a monkey could pilot to success. And in that case, the raw, green, completely inexperienced AJ Feeley of 2002 could pilot this offense to top ten.

The question really, to me, comes down to three issues.

1. Vernon Carey
2. David Boston
3. Chris Foerster (puppet for Dave to run Ricky left, run Ricky right, throw on 3rd?)

If all three of those pan out the right way, forget growing pains and having patience with AJ Feeley etc etc, we would have to school ourselves to not call the kid the next marino and not give him a truckload of money before we find out if he can do it without such a good surrounding cast. If only 1 or 2 of those things pan out, we still have an improved offense. If none do, we're right back where we were last season, which is to say, a 10-6 team that was a few unlucky breaks away from being a high playoff seed.

ckparrothead said:
This isn't true but I cannot provide a link for now. I will say that this article was not news to me, at all. I had seen and read (not on message boards) that rumor had it Wolf liked AJ Feeley, and there was independant substantiating evidence of this in that the Cleveland Browns were rumored to be the late bidder on Feeley's services right before the Dolphins closed the deal, deciding on just a straight up 2nd rounder instead of a conditional 2nd.

The only news to me, is that Wolf didn't really like Feeley coming out of Oregon. You could have fooled me, because the Packers really scouted the kid and were going to take him, according to rumor, except the Eagles did it one round higher than the Packers did. Back then, Wolf was still a consultant for them I believe.

I'm sorry, but you didn't really clear up anything. Rumor or no, it was published somewhere, otherwise I would not have "known" it. I don't read unsubstantiated, unlinked message board rumors and take them as fact, especially coming from someone like Keith Box (no offense).

And rumor or no, it was published, and now has been proven...so I don't see the point in attempting to discredit the rumor, when it was in fact true.

CK,

Google up any press report that cites an identified source in the Dolphins organization which states that Wolf gave the Phins a "heads up" on Feeley. I'm not saying that it DIDN'T happen, but I'm saying that people have assumed that it did and there's been nothing beyond internet message boards stating that it happened.

People have speculated that it happened because of the rumor that Cleveland was interested in Feeley while Wolf was acting as their "consultant", and that's why Rick snatched him up quickly, but there is no Miami paper anyway that names an identified source (and I don't believe even "an unnamed source") stating that Wolf tipped us on Feeley.

That was my only point, and it is a true point.

CK if the OL is as improved as I think it will be, the run left, run right, and throw on third might not be a bad offense. If Ricky can get the YPC back up to the 3.5-4.0 range we would be looking at third and two or three. Which will take alot of pressure off of Feeley. He will not have to look for the big play to get the first instead he can use the safety valves of Konrad, Williams, and McMichael. Once the defense steps up to stop Ricky then AJ can hopefully use playaction to go for the big play. I really think Carey will be fine, and Boston has a big chip on his shoulder with something to prove so he will be fine.

Agua said:
CK,

Google up any press report that cites an identified source in the Dolphins organization which states that Wolf gave the Phins a "heads up" on Feeley. I'm not saying that it DIDN'T happen, but I'm saying that people have assumed that it did and there's been nothing beyond internet message boards stating that it happened.

People have speculated that it happened because of the rumor that Cleveland was interested in Feeley while Wolf was acting as their "consultant", and that's why Rick snatched him up quickly, but there is no Miami paper anyway that names an identified source (and I don't believe even "an unnamed source") stating that Wolf tipped us on Feeley.

That was my only point, and it is a true point.

Well he isn't making it up because I remember a discussion regarding Wolf and how he thought that Feeley was a good QB...I think it was right after Wolf decided to not take the consulting gig with Miami.

34RWilliams said:
If Feeley becomes an above average Qb and produces extremely well on a consistant basis, theres no telling what this team can do, but truth be told the offensive line is whats gonna improve our Qb situation the most.

Exactly ! :D If the O-line is great, the QB issues will magically disappear along with Ricky's lower yrd/carry numbers.

Well lets make it three that heard it when the deal was done. Heell that was one of my arguments when the deal was done.

Find it. It ain't there. He's not lying, I'm not accusing anyone of lying, or of making anything up. I'm saying that the only source which states that Wolf told the Phins he likes Feeley was something written by a poster on an internet message board. I know KB wrote that several times on this board but I believe others have written it as well. It's one of those things where people read it someplace, it sounds plausible (and it may have well happened), and people remember it as happening or being reported even though it was never reported.

Find an article. It ain't there. I could be mistaken on this point but I *almost* seem to recall Rick at a press conference stating that he had no input from Wolf on the Feeley decision - of course that doesn't preclude the possibility that Wolf tipped off Wayne or Eddie Jones and then THEY told Rick what Wolf said, but it seems like Rick made something equivalent to that statement.

The whole thing was generated as speculation when we heard the rumor that Cleveland was looking at Feeley and Wolf was acting as Cleveland's consultant at that time.

I wont speak to Wolf advising Rick. I am speaking of Wolf consulting the Browns about Feeley. It seems plausible as you say that he may have told Rick, but I dont remember an actual article stating that. I do remember something written at the time the trade went down that Cleveland along with Pittsburgh being involved in trying get Feeley.

The point that matters is that it has been shown that Wolf does in fact like Feeley over Garcia and Warner, which has been the main argument.

Back
Top Bottom