Fomer GM Wolf likes Feeley | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fomer GM Wolf likes Feeley

Rickyrunsover -

I'm in agreement - I'm simply saying that people have taken to saying that Wolf tipped the Phins on Feeley and there has been no report of that ever happening.

I thought I read somewhere that Spielman discuessed Feeley with Wolf before he took the Cleveland job.

You probably have read it on an internet message board, and there *may* be a published article somewhere which *speculates* Wolf tipped the Phins (I don't recall it), but there is no article which identifies a source stating this ocurred.

You probably have read it on an internet message board, and there *may* be a published article somewhere which *speculates* Wolf tipped the Phins (I don't recall it), but there is no article which identifies a source stating this ocurred.

No we don't know for sure whether or not Spielman discussed Feeley with Wolf, but we do know that Wolf liked Feeley and tried to have the Browns take him. So I'm not sure I understand your point. No "identified" source broke it and said that it occurred, of course, otherwise it wouldn't be a rumor before confirmation it would have been a fact. But you're trying to debunk a rumor that just got confirmed. I don't get it.

CK,

My only point is that which I posted in my immediately preceding post in this thread.

The "rumor" I am debunking is the one which holds that Wolf tipped the Phins during the interview process or prior to joining the Browns. That rumor has not been confirmed anywhere.

Agua said:
CK,

My only point is that which I posted in my immediately preceding post in this thread.

The "rumor" I am debunking is the one which holds that Wolf tipped the Phins during the interview process or prior to joining the Browns. That rumor has not been confirmed anywhere.

You are not debunking the rumore. Unless both Speilman and Wolff say they never had that discussion, it is impossible for you to debunk it.

I'm debunking the notion that it is a fact that Wolf tipped the Phins. There. Is that better? People have repeatedly stated "Wolf told the Phins he liked Feeley", and I'm debunking the notion that there is any source for that beyond reading it over and over on a message board.

You are not debunking the rumore. Unless both Speilman and Wolff say they never had that discussion, it is impossible for you to debunk it.

In fact, given the fact that both Spielman and Wolf like AJ Feeley and Wolf tried to get the Browns to grab Feeley, I would say its more likely that his name came up in discussion than not, especially since the Phins publically admitted that in their search for a GM they were gathering all kinds of ideas from their potential candidates on what to do with the personnel. Plus, Wolf came down to consult with the Phins, interview for the consulting job. You think they DIDN'T discuss quarterbacks and what kinds of recommendations Wolf would bring to the table if he were hired?

Its not that I believe Wolf "tipped off" Spielman, because no doubt Feeley was already on Rick's radar screen (he even said something to that effect), however Wolf probably said something and when Wolf says it, it makes you take another good look and maybe put just a smidgeon more weight on it.

You can't debunk the rumor, in fact the rumor only gathers strength in knowing now for certain that AJ Feeley is a guy that Ron Wolf liked.

ckparrothead said:
In fact, given the fact that both Spielman and Wolf like AJ Feeley and Wolf tried to get the Browns to grab Feeley, I would say its more likely that his name came up in discussion than not, especially since the Phins publically admitted that in their search for a GM they were gathering all kinds of ideas from their potential candidates on what to do with the personnel. Plus, Wolf came down to consult with the Phins, interview for the consulting job. You think they DIDN'T discuss quarterbacks and what kinds of recommendations Wolf would bring to the table if he were hired?

Its not that I believe Wolf "tipped off" Spielman, because no doubt Feeley was already on Rick's radar screen (he even said something to that effect), however Wolf probably said something and when Wolf says it, it makes you take another good look and maybe put just a smidgeon more weight on it.

You can't debunk the rumor, in fact the rumor only gathers strength in knowing now for certain that AJ Feeley is a guy that Ron Wolf liked.

This is what I agree with.

Look CK,

You responded to initial post in this thread by saying, "that isn't true". You then chose to take it personally when I challenged you to find a source beyond Keith Box which stated Wolf tipped the Phins. When pressed, you admitted there was no published source for the rumor.

Yes, as a strictly logical question, I cannot debunk the "rumor". What I have done is demonstrate that it IS only a rumor. And I do not dispute that it MAY be true, but I'm stating only that it is speculation. Is that so difficult for you people to understand in here?

ckparrothead said:
In fact, given the fact that both Spielman and Wolf like AJ Feeley and Wolf tried to get the Browns to grab Feeley, I would say its more likely that his name came up in discussion than not, especially since the Phins publically admitted that in their search for a GM they were gathering all kinds of ideas from their potential candidates on what to do with the personnel.

I agree. That is not the point that I have established or was attempting to establish.

ckparrothead said:
Plus, Wolf came down to consult with the Phins, interview for the consulting job. You think they DIDN'T discuss quarterbacks and what kinds of recommendations Wolf would bring to the table if he were hired?

I do not know whether they discussed specific personnel, but neither do you.

ckparrothead said:

Sure, if you want to engage in speculation. That's not the point I was making either.

ckparrothead said:

You are correct. And as Dolfan-Dupree pointed out, I can't debunk it short of asking both Wolfe and Spielman the question directly.

What I CAN, and HAVE debunked is this common notion floating around here that it is an established fact that Wolf DID mention Feeley to someone in the Phins' organization.

dreadlockera said:
I certainly am not a doomsdayer. I think AJ will be great. My ONLY concern is about timing. If this had happened two years ago :up: :drinkers: . That is not to say he cant be great this year or that even just being consistant would not be enough. I do feel AJ could be the Delhoume (sp) of this year and take us to the promissed land. I just HOPE his learning curve is steep.

Dread, not by any meens was I implying that you were a doomsdayer, I was just pointing out were they will attack. :lol:
And I agree with the rest of your post.

ckparrothead said:
I think Spielman said he had been looking at Feeley seriously before Wolf consulted.

The thing is, after watching the Philly game tapes myself, as soon as Spielman watched those tapes, he must have liked AJ Feeley. It is really, really, really hard not to...even knowing he was facing some very bad defenses.

He was in some pressure situations and he performed. The whole thing was a pressure situation, Philly was down when McNabb went down and Koy had to come in, and then they thought all was lost when Koy went down too...I mean, to that point, AJ Feeley had already been cut before the 2002 season began, and then he was brought up, and he had trouble beating Tim Hasselbeck for a roster spot.

But sometimes you just never know, until the guy gets on the field and acts as field general. Some people point to lack of total games (only 8 in college, 5 in pros) and say thats a bad thing. I say, that only increases the odds that the NFL has inefficiently priced AJ Feeley as a starting QB. Lots of investment managers make their way exploiting market inefficiency by investing in under-researched, low-coverage companies that are somewhat "off the radar screen" If you can manage to do research that the rest of the market isn't seeing or doing, you end up getting a potential star for a bargain price...depending on how reliable you think your research is. I would say Spielman has faith in his own findings...and Wolf came up with the same conclusion, sat on it, the Browns paid lots of dough to get his opinion, they got his recommendation, and they squandered it.

BTW Kerry Collins is a very talented quarterback who has proven he's capable of winning big in this league. He has imperfections but they all do, and its up to the coach to mold the talent we have to cover those imperfections. The only weakness of grabbing Feeley, IMO, is the fact we didn't know Kerry would be available...but I also believe we really couldn't have counted on him being available.

Wow, this post is perfect..Well said CK..

You responded to initial post in this thread by saying, "that isn't true". You then chose to take it personally when I challenged you to find a source beyond Keith Box which stated Wolf tipped the Phins. When pressed, you admitted there was no published source for the rumor.

You don't have to tell me what I did. As it were, I happen to be in a very unique position to say what I thought and/or did. What I was refuting was that you seemed to be saying that no published source suggested that Wolf liked Feeley. I did not realize that you were acknowledging the fact that Wolf liked Feeley and published sources rumored that long ago, but were simply stating that no published, identified source validated the rumor of Wolf tipping off Spielman about Feeley. That was my mistake.

This stuff about backing me in a corner and me taking things personally, is all projected by you...merely wishful thinking. This isn't a knock-down street fight. I happen to take almost no argument personally; I fight the argument, not the person.

I understand your argument, you're merely pointing out that nobody came right out "on the record" and said that Wolf tipped Spielman off about Feeley. Thats fine. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though, and there's lots of evidence (early rumor, and lately on the record stuff) that suggests that Feeley's name probably did come up in discussions between the Dolphins and Ron Wolf. I'm merely siding with the most likely scenario, and speculating that it did happen.

Fine CK. That was the point I was making. People have thrown around that Wolf tipped the Phins to Feeley as if it were an accomplished fact. I thought I made that clear in my initial post that it had never been reported anywhere other than stated on an internet message board.

I agree, it may WELL have been the case, but I was pointing out that it is not an established fact as is thrown about on this and several other boards.

Back
Top Bottom