For the Ireland Supporters | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the Ireland Supporters

In truth, is it Ireland's fault that we did not make the playoffs last season or is Carpenter's fault? Those field goals would of given us a winning season last year. And yes I understand that Ireland did select Carpenter in his first year as a Dolphin GM. Still...

He could have built a team that scored touchdowns instead of one that relied on fieldgoals. He could have cut Carpenter during the offseason due to previous seasons mistakes. He could have cut Carpenter during the season when he began to act shaky.

Carpenter is only playing up to his level of talent. Its up to Ireland to determine if that level of talent is acceptable for his team. Ireland determined it was. He clearly misevaluated the situation.

He could have built a team that scored touchdowns instead of one that relied on fieldgoals.

Yes. A better team. One that would not have but us in such a situation. Good point.

How many games did we win from other teams miscues? It goes both ways.

This is going to take time. You can't put a specific number of wins or he's out on this season. We currently have the second youngest team and we will be very young again this year. The cap room and significant number of picks is by design. We (Ireland, Philbin, Ross and the fans) are building a winner here. Get on board or get out of the way! The thing I hate to see on these forums is when fans drum up every 30+ veteran that gets released by another team and feel like we need to have them...Michael Turner, Cullen Jenkins...etc. Let the team build a young team that will compete for a long time. If we kick Ireland out the door, then you can say good-bye to Philbin and Tannehill. There will be a whole new regime and we will be starting all over again. Like we've been doing over and over since Shula walked out the door. You need to keep in mind, too, the devil you know may be better than the devil you don't. I support Ireland and look forward to the winning that is coming our way as this time matures together.

Yeah well the "we have the second youngest team" excuse got old in 2009-10 around these parts.

He could have built a team that scored touchdowns instead of one that relied on fieldgoals. He could have cut Carpenter during the offseason due to previous seasons mistakes. He could have cut Carpenter during the season when he began to act shaky. Carpenter is only playing up to his level of talent. Its up to Ireland to determine if that level of talent is acceptable for his team. Ireland determined it was. He clearly misevaluated the situation.
Wow, your hatred for Ireland is so deep it has deluted your sense of reality. Carpenter, until last year was one of the most clutch FG kickers in the league. Missing 3 game winners is Carpenters fault, NOT Ireland's. Boy oh boy.

Wow, your hatred for Ireland is so deep it has deluted your sense of reality. Carpenter, until last year was one of the most clutch FG kickers in the league. Missing 3 game winners is Carpenters fault, NOT Ireland's. Boy oh boy.

Drinking Irelands koolaid must have caused memory loss.

In 2011 he missed 3 field goals in 2 weeks. One was during a 16-17 loss to Cleveland.
In 2010 he missed 7 field goals in 4 weeks. One was also during a Browns loss, this time 10-13. He went 0/4 against the Bills, we ended up losing that game by 3 points(guess what peoples excuse was after that season?).

Carpenter has been shaky for years. At times, hes shown he can be a quality kicker. But he cant sustain that quality for an entire season. He goes through streaks of misses. When it costs us multiple games over multiple seasons, thats Irelands fault for not cutting him.

And all of that ignores the fact that we rely way to much on field goals to win games.

This debate always seem to end the same way with both factions on the extreme sides holding their stance that Ireland sucks or that he is doing great. Then those in between will take a more reasonable approach of win now or he needs to pack his bags. We've seen this over and over again with Wanny, Tony, Cam, Saban, Fiedler, Feeley, and on and on. I personally look at all the picks and money from both sides. Of course it is great but it also represents the hole he and Tuna put the team in.

Yeah well the "we have the second youngest team" excuse got old in 2009-10 around these parts.

So are you suggesting we sign a handful of older veterans so that we aren't young? You must be one of the guys that thinks we should chase Cullen Jenkins and Michael Turner. The average age of the team will go up, so naturally we will win more games, right?

So are you suggesting we sign a handful of older veterans so that we aren't young? You must be one of the guys that thinks we should chase Cullen Jenkins and Michael Turner. The average age of the team will go up, so naturally we will win more games, right?

Most SB and playoff teams have a mix of solid veterans as well as youth. Not saying to sign Cullen or Turner, but experience on this team in the lockerroom would be far from a detriment.

No I'm suggesting it is the same old tired excuses! Guess what those young players from 08, 09&10 are one the way out the door.

What you Ireland critics failed to realize is most fans loyalties lie deeper than your usual knee-jerk reactions. I could care less whether you're a dolphin fan or not, and why in the world would you think I would? You mean nothing to me, and you never have, and you never will unless you're willing to give me an incredibly large amount of money for nothing. I've been a dolphin fan since 1970, hell yeah I want them to win, but I go in anywhere regardless.

Uh, no. My loyalty is to the Miami Dolphins and if I believe the person in charge of bringing in talent over the last five years hasn't done a good job of it, then I want that person gone. A five year analysis of his work isn't knee-jerk. Is Jeff Ireland the worst GM in the league? I don't believe so. But I don't believe he has the eye to consistently bring enough talent to make this team a Super Bowl team.

Uh, no. My loyalty is to the Miami Dolphins and if I believe the person in charge of bringing in talent over the last five years hasn't done a good job of it, then I want that person gone. A five year analysis of his work isn't knee-jerk. Is Jeff Ireland the worst GM in the league? I don't believe so. But I don't believe he has the eye to consistently bring enough talent to make this team a Super Bowl team.

Well said.

I have made it known that I really would like a new GM and front office here but if Ireland can prove me wrong and get us into the playoffs next season I would change my opinion of him. For all the ireland supporters on this board I have a question- What would it take for you to want him out of here? Would another 6-10 or 7-9 season do it? Are you giving him another 2 more years no matter what?

I wouldn't have minded if Ireland was let go before last year, but when we retained him IMO at that point we were stuck with him for a minimum of 2-years. I don't believe in turning things over again and again. IMO it's one of the main reasons our franchise has suffered the last 10-years or so.

I won't say if we don't make the play-offs he needs to go, but we need to be at least 9-7 and there needs to be a positive feeling about where the franchise is heading. Especially concerning our offense, and with Tannehill's progress within that offense. I'd also like to add it's more important to have a positive feeling than the results of final record. Ireland shares in a lot of the blame when the TUNA was here, but the TUNA was such an egomaniac it only seems fair to allow Ireland a little rope to hang himself. If that positive feeling is not there, as much as I hate it, I say we throw them ALL OUT and start all over again.

Just to clear up, we dont know if hes a "free agent". When they announced Ross had resigned Ireland, they refused to reveal the years. The media speculated that it was 2 years because thats how long Sparano's extension was. That rings false to me, as Ross made it apparent that he intended to keep Ireland after he fired Sparano(apparent because the Harbaugh thing...and the fact he did keep Ireland).

Omar actually said on wqam this season Irelands contract ran through 2015 (maybe 2016, don't remember exactly), he said it all nonchalantly and I remember the host freaking out, the conversation went something like this:

Host: Well we'll see what happens when Ireland's contract is up after next season..
Omar: His contract isn't up until 2015
Host: WHAT!?! BACK UP, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!
Omar: Huh, you didn't know that, I thought it was common knowledge. Oh yeah, he's under contract through 2015.

Take that for what its worth, it was a strange conversation and I have no links but Omar seemed to think Ireland would be under contract for at least 2 more seasons.

Back
Top Bottom