For those who don't like the 1st pick, why? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who don't like the 1st pick, why?

He didn't test well enough to be a safe bet to produce at that size. I knew he'd be the pick if he was still there but that doesn't mean I have to happy about it. How dare I have opinions.

There is a diffrence between having an opinion and then just saying the guy flat sucks if you haven't seen him play a down in the league yet.

There is a diffrence between having an opinion and then just saying the guy flat sucks if you haven't seen him play a down in the league yet.

I think watching him play in college was plenty to form an educated opinion. :idk:

Thinking a player is going to somehow transform into something else under more difficult circumstances is pure ****ing hilarity.

I feel like this is an annual question that is asked in late April. Every single player has negative qualities. No one here has a clue how Harris will perform.

I didn't knows whether to post this or not, but well, here it goes. FO analytics didn't like Harris. If scouting isn't sure about him, either, yikes.

BUST ALERT
Charles Harris, Missouri

SackSEER Projection: 14.8 Sacks Through Year 5
SackSEER Rating: 17.5%

Every year, SackSEER breaks from conventional wisdom on at least one highly-rated edge rusher, and this year that player is definitely Charles Harris. From a SackSEER perspective, it is hard to see what would justify Harris as a first- or second-round pick, as most analysts project. Harris was not unusually productive, nor was there any spike in production near the end of his college career. Harris had nine sacks in 12 games during his junior year. Those are certainly not horrible numbers, but they are not significantly better than numbers posted by Tyus Bowser, Takkarist McKinley, or Jordan Willis.

Harris is undersized at 253 pounds, but he had a combine more consistent with a 280-pound run-stuffer. Harris was below average in every drill that matters to SackSEER, including a 4.82-second 40-yard dash and a 7.47-second 3-cone time. Why is an undersized edge rusher with vanilla college production and poor workout numbers considered a potential first-round pick? One answer is that he has a good reputation for athleticism despite his poor combine performance. The anecdotal evidence of what a great difference between "perceived" and "measured" athleticism means is mixed. Players such as Carlos Dunlap and Jason Pierre-Paul were lauded as athletic "freaks" who put up mostly average to below-average workout numbers, but nonetheless became strong players. On the other hand, Quinton Coples and Da'Quan Bowers, two players who had reputations as "freakish" athletes, posted poor workout numbers and ultimately had little impact on the NFL level.

Funny that Slimm mention should Coples, too.

I feel like this is an annual question that is asked in late April. Every single player has negative qualities. No one here has a clue how Harris will perform.

The funny part is people who have obviously never watched him play a down chiming in as if they have any idea what they're talking about. Me gusta default dummy statements.

If you don't like the pick, stop and count to 10 and breathe. Look at Atlanta, they gave up picks to trade up and draft a guy who couldn't get done being announced without dropping a GD and an F bomb. Dude sounds like a Kellen Winslow Jr head case. I would say we did pretty good getting our edge rusher and Atlanta panicked to get our leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't like the pick, stop and count to 10 and breathe. Look at Atlanta, they gave up picks to trade up and draft a guy who couldn't get done being announced without dropping a GD and an F bomb. Dude sounds like a Kellen Winslow Jr head case. I would say we did pretty good getting our edge rusher and Atlanta panicked to get our leftovers.

This is not the reaction of someone getting "leftovers"

[tweet]857799944459235328[/tweet]

And I could care less about McKinley's PC behavior in savoring the biggest night of his life.

We didn't take Foster because this team can't afford any more mistakes. We have too many blunders to try to forget about without signing up for a brand new screw up that would make us look stupid and hamstring the whole draft.

And I could care less about McKinley's PC behavior in savoring the biggest night of his life.

Yeah seems to be Alanta has done pretty well for themselves with Miami's leftovers in the past. Odd point of view to say the least...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do understand that the Falcons are adding upgrades to a foundation, while we are building a foundation?

They check many of the boxes that are associated with good teams....

The funny part is people who have obviously never watched him play a down chiming in as if they have any idea what they're talking about. Me gusta default dummy statements.

Not everyone is guaranting that Harris is going to be a stud, Rubuen Foster isn't guarnteed to be a stud either same with Myles Garret, because what you studied Harris alot what do you want a cookie? It's stricly an opinion thing you can either love/like the Harris pick or hate it. Until the day you are in an NFL draft room you are no better than anyone else on this FAN FORUM with an opinion or in your case a Nostradamus epiphany.

1. There are fans who applaud literally everything the franchise does. They will be happy with any player that is selected. It's pre-determined. They are wrong year after year, as dead carcasses of stupid moves get thrown out by the side of the road. From Jason Allen to Dion Jordan to Joe Philbin to AJ Feeley to Tony Sparano, to the new logo, these folks blindly support the franchise since they choose to essentially root for laundry. Yet, they never learn and shamelessly come back and hail the next pick. These people are a dream come true for Stephen Ross, who is running a business and minting cash. The real world and actual results are just pesky details that can be ignored for the sake of cheerleading.
2. Conversely, there are literally no credible posters who hate every move in the same way. There are, however, people who choose to analyze and develop their own opinions rather than just applaud every move. Speaking only for myself, one of the most fun things about football is thinking about different situations and having my own ideas, whether it is personnel, scheme, or strategy. I have no problem with anyone else's view. There are plenty of people who like to sit with a smile and love anyone from Richie Incognito to Cecil Collins because they are wearing Dolphin laundry. To each their own.
3. As for Charles Harris, you have a quy who lacks exceptional athleticism yet is too small to be a complete DE. If you look at his frame, there isn't much projection of a well rounded game. If he gains weight, it's hard to say what of his mediocre athleticism remains. So, we are talking about a situational pass rusher without elite athletic size or traits. I seriously doubt this guy ever becomes a good run defender. The good news, though, is that I doubt he is a bust. He has a knack for rushing. He has a motor. He seems like a great kid by all accounts. He's young so there is some projection for improving his pass rush production. I think in the end, this is a kid who will never be a good run defender but is a great guy and will be able to rush the passer to some reasonable -- but not great -- degree. Is he what I would have done? No. Could I be wrong? Let's hope so. That's all we have.

Not everyone is guaranting that Harris is going to be a stud, Rubuen Foster isn't guarnteed to be a stud either same with Myles Garret, because what you studied Harris alot what do you want a cookie? It's stricly an opinion thing you can either love/like the Harris pick or hate it. Until the day you are an in NFL draft room you are no better than anyone else on this FAN FORUM with an opinion or in your case a Nostradamus epiphany.

download.png

To each his own. I am sure there were plenty of facepalm moments when he melted down on stage that we didnt get the privelage to see. I for one am glad that McKinley was not our pick.

1. There are fans who applaud literally everything the franchise does. They will be happy with any player that is selected. It's pre-determined. They are wrong year after year, as dead carcasses of stupid moves get thrown out by the side of the road. From Jason Allen to Dion Jordan to Joe Philbin to AJ Feeley to Tony Sparano, to the new logo, these folks blindly support the franchise since they choose to essentially root for laundry. Yet, they never learn and shamelessly come back and hail the next pick. These people are a dream come true for Stephen Ross, who is running a business and minting cash. The real world and actual results are just pesky details that can be ignored for the sake of cheerleading.
2. Conversely, there are literally no credible posters who hate every move in the same way. There are, however, people who choose to analyze and develop their own opinions rather than just applaud every move. Speaking only for myself, one of the most fun things about football is thinking about different situations and having my own ideas, whether it is personnel, scheme, or strategy. I have no problem with anyone else's view. There are plenty of people who like to sit with a smile and love anyone from Richie Incognito to Cecil Collins because they are wearing Dolphin laundry. To each their own.
3. As for Charles Harris, you have a quy who lacks exceptional athleticism yet is too small to be a complete DE. If you look at his frame, there isn't much projection of a well rounded game. If he gains weight, it's hard to say what of his mediocre athleticism remains. So, we are talking about a situational pass rusher without elite athletic size or traits. I seriously doubt this guy ever becomes a good run defender. The good news, though, is that I doubt he is a bust. He has a knack for rushing. He has a motor. He seems like a great kid by all accounts. He's young so there is some projection for improving his pass rush production. I think in the end, this is a kid who will never be a good run defender but is a great guy and will be able to rush the passer to some reasonable -- but not great -- degree. Is he what I would have done? No. Could I be wrong? Let's hope so. That's all we have.

Good take.

LD

Back
Top Bottom