Forbes declares ND football a big winner | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Forbes declares ND football a big winner

It's so funny whenever I talk to ND fans, they always bring up strength of schedule...to which I respond, who in the hell did you guys beat this past year (this applies for every year). And they can never give me a good answer, and will just continue to rail on UM's schedule. I have no room to talk this year because we didn't beat anybody, but most of the time we beat a team like Va Tech, or Florida State, or some other top tier team. So go ahead and say we play 4 terrible teams per year (ahem army, navy, air force, purdue, stanford, michigan state), but we always play a tough ACC schedule, and we always schedule a tough out of conference opponent every year.

Exactly! But you're not going to let that stop you.

This was the first time ND played all the academies in awhile, though Navy and Air Force both are better than some of the teams on your schedule. So is Purdue and MSU who are Big Ten teams who have the potential to be good in any given year. They are always on our schedule. They arent exactly Div II teams.

GT/PSU/UCLA are as good as any win you had. ND isnt good enough to beat the USC's and UM's on their schedule, I'm not going to deny that.

You play more than 4 terrible teams,every school does, also I listed 5 and you could add Virginia making 6 so lets me honest. I cant stand people who say ND plays no one when their school is playing teams as bad if not worse. You said if you had ND's schedule UM could have won 10 games as though your schedule was more difficult, well it wasnt.

And SoS is brought up because people always say who does ND play? All they play is a bunch of cupcakes. They have the easiest schedule blah blah blah. Well, SoS shows that is a load of crap.

Exactly! But you're not going to let that stop you.

This was the first time ND played all the academies in awhile, though Navy and Air Force both are better than some of the teams on your schedule. So is Purdue and MSU who are Big Ten teams who have the potential to be good in any given year. They are always on our schedule. They arent exactly Div II teams.

GT/PSU/UCLA are as good as any win you had. ND isnt good enough to beat the USC's and UM's on their schedule, I'm not going to deny that.

You play more than 4 terrible teams,every school does, also I listed 5 and you could add Virginia making 6 so lets me honest. I cant stand people who say ND plays no one when their school is playing teams as bad if not worse. You said if you had ND's schedule UM could have won 10 games as though your schedule was more difficult, well it wasnt.

And SoS is brought up because people always say who does ND play? All they play is a bunch of cupcakes. They have the easiest schedule blah blah blah. Well, SoS shows that is a load of crap.

Why would I let one bad season stop me from talking about my hurricanes?

I'm A) a student of the university, and B) not a bandwagon fan.

The fact that you even want to compare your 'BCS' team last year to our team last year in regards to quality wins is a huge step backwards for you. Although I'd say that Boston College was probably better than all 3 of those teams (especially UCLA and their backup QB). Adding to that - BC was playing for the ACC title - your Ga. Tech and PSU games were way to early in the season to have the same intensity as games later in the season.

But as long as you can admit that you can't beat the top tier teams on your schedule, I guess you already know what I'm saying. It's just funny that people always want to bring up the worst teams in the ACC and our weakest OOC opponents, when we play some very good teams, and then usually 2-3 elite teams.

So let me ask you...whose schedule would you rather play - Miami's or Notre Dame's?

And? What's your point? I said we are playing this year, and we are. We replaced them with Rutgers in the future I'm not seeing the problem here.

Notre Dame schedules opponents far in the future, and they've indicated they have no plans of continuing to play BC (i.e. they dropped them). So just because they play next year doesn't mean they haven't dropped them from their future schedules. That's the point I was making - they've dropped them for lesser competition.

Notre Dame schedules opponents far in the future, and they've indicated they have no plans of continuing to play BC (i.e. they dropped them). So just because they play next year doesn't mean they haven't dropped them from their future schedules. That's the point I was making - they've dropped them for lesser competition.

Not sure I'd consider Rutgers lesser competition.

Why would I let one bad season stop me from talking about my hurricanes?

I'm A) a student of the university, and B) not a bandwagon fan.

The fact that you even want to compare your 'BCS' team last year to our team last year in regards to quality wins is a huge step backwards for you. Although I'd say that Boston College was probably better than all 3 of those teams (especially UCLA and their backup QB). Adding to that - BC was playing for the ACC title - your Ga. Tech and PSU games were way to early in the season to have the same intensity as games later in the season.

But as long as you can admit that you can't beat the top tier teams on your schedule, I guess you already know what I'm saying. It's just funny that people always want to bring up the worst teams in the ACC and our weakest OOC opponents, when we play some very good teams, and then usually 2-3 elite teams.

So let me ask you...whose schedule would you rather play - Miami's or Notre Dame's?

I dont think the schedules are that far apart that one is so much better or worse that I'd rag on one over the other is my point. You have some quality teams on your schedule no doubt. You have some complete and utter jokes also. I think you probably play one or two more quality teams, but ND plays 2 teams that are better than anyone on your schedule. I'd much rather play the Maryland's and BC's than UM and USC.

As for the intensity of an early game vs a later one I think that's debatable. Every team gets up to play ND, GT in the home opener wants to prove they can beat ND. They were as up and pumped for that game as any game all season. The PSU game was the most hyped home game at ND last year, more so than even the UM game, both teams were pumped for it.

I brought the crap teams you played up because of your comments. If you dont want people to highlight the trash you play dont point fingers at other teams. I dont give a crap who UM or anyone else plays. But for some reason everyone seems to care about who ND plays. If you point fingers at ND make sure your teams schedule isnt pretty soft also. ND's schedule is fine relative to who most other schools play.

Not sure I'd consider Rutgers lesser competition.

They scheduled Rutgers when they were the laughingstock of college football, not during or after this past season. That's why I said it's funny that Rutgers could actually be a tough team to beat by 2011, because nobody, especially Notre Dame, thought they'd be any good by then.

I dont think the schedules are that far apart that one is so much better or worse that I'd rag on one over the other is my point. You have some quality teams on your schedule no doubt. You have some complete and utter jokes also. I think you probably play one or two more quality teams, but ND plays 2 teams that are better than anyone on your schedule. I'd much rather play the Maryland's and BC's than UM and USC.

As for the intensity of an early game vs a later one I think that's debatable. Every team gets up to play ND, GT in the home opener wants to prove they can beat ND. They were as up and pumped for that game as any game all season. The PSU game was the most hyped home game at ND last year, more so than even the UM game, both teams were pumped for it.

I brought the crap teams you played up because of your comments. If you dont want people to highlight the trash you play dont point fingers at other teams. I dont give a crap who UM or anyone else plays. But for some reason everyone seems to care about who ND plays. If you point fingers at ND make sure your teams schedule isnt pretty soft also. ND's schedule is fine relative to who most other schools play.

USC and Michigan are the toughest teams on your schedule right? So why would you compare them to Maryland and BC? USC and Michigan are closer to FSU and Va Tech. Maryland and BC are considerably better than UCLA and Purdue.

I'm not sure why you're saying every team gets up to play ND, when they haven't really done anything in awhile, when Miami has won 5 national championships in 23 years. Who do you think has more of a bullseye on their back?

Notre Dame is just hype. The reason they can't win bowl games, is because they consistently get into bowl games with teams that actually deserve to be in that bowl game (i.e. much better than Notre Dame).

Let me ask you something - how do you know how pumped up they were from Long Beach? I assume you're a t-shirt alumnus too.

ND is just worth more because of their TV contract and they are independent.

USC and Michigan are the toughest teams on your schedule right? So why would you compare them to Maryland and BC? USC and Michigan are closer to FSU and Va Tech. Maryland and BC are considerably better than UCLA and Purdue.

I'm not sure why you're saying every team gets up to play ND, when they haven't really done anything in awhile, when Miami has won 5 national championships in 23 years. Who do you think has more of a bullseye on their back?

Notre Dame is just hype. The reason they can't win bowl games, is because they consistently get into bowl games with teams that actually deserve to be in that bowl game (i.e. much better than Notre Dame).

Let me ask you something - how do you know how pumped up they were from Long Beach? I assume you're a t-shirt alumnus too.

Why would you compare Purdue and UCLA to Maryland and BC when PSU is better than Purude and UCLA? Shouldnt you have used PSU instead of Purdue if you're going to criticize how I set it up? USC and UM are closer to FSU and VT for sure, but USC and UM are better than both.

ND does have a lot of hype, and they get a lot of attention from the media. That is why teams get up to play them. ND has more of a bullseye than Miami. You think teams want to beat the Yankees or the Marlins more? ND is the most known name in college football, teams want to play them and they want to beat them.

ND is overrated, I'm not blind, they get into bowls they dont deserve to be in. You want me to argue that? Blame your coach, and all the other coaches who are in part to blame for that. ND doesnt rank itself.

As for your last comment. I know how to read. When an article says they had more ticket requests for the PSU game than any other and the pep rally had more attendants than any other, I can read that and know it is a hyped game. Also, people who go to the school type things, and player/coaches do these things called interviews. Not sure what you're getting at w/ the t-shirt alumnus line but I never claimed I went to ND, does that mean I cant be a fan? I was an ND fan before I ever gave college a second thought, should I stop liking them because I didnt go to the school when I grew up?

We can do this all day, but you arent saying anything that hasnt been said by 100 people before you. I dont care what you think about NDs schedule, or how overrated they are. Look at your own school, and it's schedule and problems. I love that you and everyone else is always thinking of ND though.

I lost track of which post it was, but I agree with Don that every team gets hyped up to play ND. It doesn't matter the time of the year. Notre Dame is (historically) the most recognizable team, and what does that mean if you beat them? You get recognition, both from the media and from fans. You can point that out and say, 'hey, we beat them, we deserve some accolades too.' Seriously, ND football is a great barometer of the sport. When ND does well, the sport is up, when ND does bad the sport suffers. Every team would absolutely love to beat Notre Dame, because everyone wants what they have.

Stitch your right. Every team that lands on our schedule wants a piece of us. Yes, our bowl record sucks. The number one reason is the BOWLS want us. Why....$$$$$$$$$. Plain and simple. I agree their are times when we don't belong, which in turn reflects on our bowl record. Notre Dame just has this carma thing. When you think of college football, we are there. We play Boston College for the next two years I believe.

Don - before you say that everyone's thinking about Notre Dame, just remember who started this thread. All I was saying is why Notre Dame has a lot of money...they have an easy schedule which translates into BCS money. It's kinda pointless to argue any further, because we both think each other's schedule is garbage.

I don't know why you other guys think teams get more hyped up to play Notre Dame. Yeah Notre Dame has the history, but Miami has the national championships - and to be the champs, you don't have to beat the team that was the champs back in the day, you have to beat the best team over the past 20 years. Notre Dame's been a much easier draw over the past 20 years than Miami.

Back
Top Bottom