Forget the bench – Miami Dolphins’ Davon Godchaux closes in on starting role | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Forget the bench – Miami Dolphins’ Davon Godchaux closes in on starting role

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
20170817-ale-dolphins-ravens-032.jpg

More and more, it’s looking like Godchaux will win a starting job next to Ndamukong Suh at defensive tackle.
It wasn’t supposed to be this way. Godchaux was the 178th pick, a fifth-rounder. The player he’s on target to beat out is Jordan Phillips, a second-rounder in 2015.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ns-davon-godchaux-closes-in-on-starting-role/

“Every day is an evaluation,” Godchaux said. “So the day I don’t work, that’s the day I get benched.”

“I consider my job stopping the run,” Godchaux said. “We were 31st last year in run defense. We can’t be 31st this year. In order for us to be a great defense, we have to stop the run.”

This kid gets it. The Anti-Jordan Phillips.

Competition is good. Hopefully, it motivates Phillips to keep busting as he will likely be needed during the long season.

You see this every year...a later round pick who had a so-so college career is able to get it in the NFL..it rarely happens in Miami...hopefully he can be an above average starter.

He's done well and honestly, he's done better than Harris who I like but I want to see results. Like an old DO used to say when I was in the restaurant business.....effort without results is a waste of time

Ozzy rules!!

You see this every year...a later round pick who had a so-so college career is able to get it in the NFL..it rarely happens in Miami...hopefully he can be an above average starter.

Godchaux played his role at LSU well, now he has a chance to shine especially now that the inevitable Suh double teams will free him up to do his thing. Jordan Phillips was handed that opportunity on a silver platter and blew it, at least so far.

4. Davon Godchaux will be overlooked because of his role
It’s hard to get a full book on Godchaux because of what he was asked to do in LSU’s defense. Over the last two years, Godchaux’s job was essentially to eat up blocks so that guys like Kendell Beckwith, Deion Jones, Duke Riley and Arden Key could make tackles and sacks. Because of this, Godchaux has a reputation as a strong supporting player, but not a game breaker in his own right.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/2017-nfl-draft-davon-godchaux-lsu-defensive-end-bio

Well as Chambers pointed out. Godchaux was a preseason 1st rounder so he has the talent. The knocks were he gave up on LSU and is lazy

Well as Chambers pointed out. Godchaux was a preseason 1st rounder so he has the talent. The knocks were he gave up on LSU and is lazy

I haven't heard that at all, and he sure isn't lazy in Miami. From what I've read he was a hard working team player at LSU.

Not sure who had him as a preseason 1st rounder or why. He was never a 3 down player at LSU.

Secondly, his background was sketchy. He was arrested twice at LSU. Domestic violence and some other situation about throwing firecrackers in an apartment.

Essentially....two down player, character red flags, along with poor agility testing caused him to fall in the draft. However, jim1 is correct that he was a team player for LSU. Coaches loved him and never had an issue with him.

He was a 3rd round talent that slipped a little further than his talent warranted. I dinged his grade significantly myself.

What Miami has seen glimpses of so far in preseason are the good things that he already had, which are incredibly strong and effective hands to shed blockers with relative ease, and excellent pad level.

It only gets tougher from here to remain consistent. If he really is ready to work, Jordan Phillips had no shot against that cat. Godchaux is better.

Not sure who had him as a preseason 1st rounder or why. He was never a 3 down player at LSU.

Secondly, his background was sketchy. He was arrested twice at LSU. Domestic violence and some other situation about throwing firecrackers in an apartment.

Essentially....two down player, character red flags, along with poor agility testing caused him to fall in the draft. However, jim1 is correct that he was a team player for LSU. Coaches loved him and never had an issue with him.

He was a 3rd round talent that slipped a little further than his talent warranted. I dinged his grade significantly myself.

What Miami has seen glimpses of so far in preseason are the good things that he already had, which are incredibly strong and effective hands to shed blockers with relative ease, and excellent pad level.

It only gets tougher from here to remain consistent. If he really is ready to work, Jordan Phillips had no shot against that cat. Godchaux is better.
I read about his childhood though, he had a tough childhood. You expect a kid from his upbringing to come across some criminal mischief. Hopefully he learned from it

Competition is good. Hopefully, it motivates Phillips to keep busting as he will likely be needed during the long season.
How much more motivation does Phillips need at this point. He has a rookie outplaying him right now and probably will be the starter next to Suh. You would think Phillips would be a man possesses at this point......I pretty much given up on him...what a waste.

I think Phillips has looked ok, Godchaux has just looked better so far. I still think it's more about what Godchaux is doing right than what Phillips is doing wrong. Godchaux just might be the better player, we'll see when the real bullets start flying in a few weeks. It looks like the Dt's with Suh, Godchauk, Phillips and Taylor will be decent and the de's of Wake, Hayes, Branch, Harris and Fede could be decent too. Those two units are light years ahead of Miami's linebackers depth wise.

Back
Top Bottom