Forget the bench – Miami Dolphins’ Davon Godchaux closes in on starting role | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Forget the bench – Miami Dolphins’ Davon Godchaux closes in on starting role

You see this every year...a later round pick who had a so-so college career is able to get it in the NFL..it rarely happens in Miami...hopefully he can be an above average starter.

Jay Ajayi, Mark Clayton, Bryan Cox, Rishard Matthews, Lamar Miller, Reshad Jones....just going off of memory

A good franchise doesn't worry about Jordan Phillips because they're already out looking for the NEXT Davon Godchaux. Let's hope that's exactly what we're doing. Phillips is horrible. A good franchise already recognizes that too. Time to find new depth at the position.

(not to mention a new center, some LB's, a TE, etc.)

Suh told him gotta keep those feet moving as replay showed exactly what he was talking about when Godchaux was stonewalled.

For those ready to toss Phillips out the window with the bathwater, I'm glad you aren't in charge.
What has Phillips shown you that he deserves to stay on the roster?

Jay was a monster at Boise St.

Matthews was also very good at Nevada.

Jones was a head hunter at Georgia and Miami got a steal in the 5th.
I was gonna say the same things about Ajayi and Rishard. I wasn't sure on the others mentioned.

I'm pulling for Vincent Taylor to take the third spot from Phillips as well. Phillips needs to be phased out of this team.

You're absolutely right and it's sad that Jordan hasn't woken up while 2 low round rookies are making him irrelevant.

Suh told him gotta keep those feet moving as replay showed exactly what he was talking about when Godchaux was stonewalled.

For those ready to toss Phillips out the window with the bathwater, I'm glad you aren't in charge.
Good morning Brother. If I was his position coach I would have a man to man with Phillips and say you need to bring it out on the field.There will be circumstances if you don't.

3rd rotational dt gets game snaps. Phillips flashes high level play and last year provided game changing type flash plays even. I'm sure the staffs frustrated but I'm not cutting him for late round pick rookies in year 1.

If godchaux can play starter caiber football that's great doesn't mean I'm dumping Phillips on a rookie contract salary which is dirt cheap.

They'd try to trade him first anyways. But I would need to see a year of these rookies before I did anything on the Phillips front

Some people see it a demotion if Phillips is the 3rd rotational DT, but in my book that's what he's been the first few years of his career. He really only started when Earl Mitchell was injured. Right now he's a guy you can rotate in with the starters or start due to injuries to another. He's solid, he can make some plays despite being inconsistent. I don't think you're going to lose many games because of Phillips. If he's a grade B talent you offer a grade B contract when salary time comes around. He can take it or move on. You don't get rid of B talent because you hoped he would be at A level and then replace him on the roster with C level talent.

Very true. He's never been a starter for us and it's looking like it'll stay that way. Again, he'll be replaced if the front office knows what it's doing. No, you're not tossing him before this season starts as he provides depth and comes cheap enough but if you're proactive, you're getting your DT ducks in a row for the future - and Phillips isn't one of the ducks.

I read about his childhood though, he had a tough childhood. You expect a kid from his upbringing to come across some criminal mischief. Hopefully he learned from it
much more understanding than a certain qb gets that has never ran afoul of law lol

Back
Top Bottom