Foxsports Reports..... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Foxsports Reports.....

inFINSible said:
I wonder if we trade his rights to the Raiders, and then he unretires, would he still have to serve the 4 game suspension next year?

If he unretires this year, it's like a 4th positive test and the penalty would be an indefinate suspension(read: One year). If he is active but suspended for the whole season, would this penalty run concurrent with the 4 game suspension that he already has? Could he unretire, sit out the season and then start with a fresh slate or would he have to serve the 4 games when he is eligible to play again?
hmmm....good question, my guess is they are two separate penalties and both would have to be served...just a guess

inFINSible said:
I wonder if we trade his rights to the Raiders, and then he unretires, would he still have to serve the 4 game suspension next year?

If he unretires this year, it's like a 4th positive test and the penalty would be an indefinate suspension(read: One year). If he is active but suspended for the whole season, would this penalty run concurrent with the 4 game suspension that he already has? Could he unretire, sit out the season and then start with a fresh slate or would he have to serve the 4 games when he is eligible to play again?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1852334

I believe that he would only serve the one year suspension, but I'll see if I can check on that. I think that the most severe suspension replaces the previous ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
BlueFin said:
hmmm....good question, my guess is they are two separate penalties and both would have to be served...just a guess
That could be why the Raiders are offering the pick now, and not waiting until after the season. I smell a loophole.

phunwin said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1852334

From the article, about 2/3 down the page: If Williams unretires after a year, he still would be facing a four-game suspension. A third positive test brings with it a mandatory four-game suspension.

But if he unretires NOW, he would be suspended indefinately. Does that supercede the 4 game suspension?

inFINSible said:
That could be why the Raiders are offering the pick now, and not waiting until after the season. I smell a loophole.

You magnificent, Machivellian bastard!

That makes a tremendous amount of sense. Why else would these rumors come up now? We all sat here thinking that Al Davis (if there's anything to these rumors) was just some crazy old man. Instead, this is part of a plan. By getting a deal done before the season, and unretiring, Williams misses no time at all next year. If something happened during the season, Williams' suspension might carry over to next year.

inFINSible said:
But if he unretires NOW, he would be suspended indefinately. Does that supercede the 4 game suspension?

See above; you replied as I was editing, when I realized I didn't answer your question.

Damn. Busted. :smackhead

I'd take a stick of chewing gum for this guy if somebody was willing to give it! I can't believe anybody would give up a first rounder for a head case with 3 strikes on the nfl's substance abuse radar. Take it!

777 said:
I say get the 1st rounder and Justin Fargas or make them wait 2 years. Play hardball with em like everyone is tryin to do us.
They would have to wait longer than 2 years. If Ricky unretires the Phins hold his rights till he actually PLAYS 2 more years for them. Basically, if anybody wants Ricky, they have to deal with the Dolphins, whether its next season or 10 years from now.

Definitely would pull the trigger on that!!

inFINSible said:

I don't remember where I read it... but he can't unretire now. Due to his filing of his retirement papers he is completely excluded from all football for this season and cannot under any circumstances play for any team.

That makes me think that if we were to ink a deal with the Raiders (or any other team for that matter) to trade Ricky's rights away that he will have to serve his indefinite (1 year) suspension for the 2005 season and won't be eligible to play until 2006. This is of course barring that he doesn't fail any further drug tests.

G'luck on that one Raiders! I'll take your first round pick and be happy to get anything out of that scumbag traiterous bastard. 2 years is an awful long time to wait for Ricky to play for you and I see that headcase screwing up something big between now and then.

one first round pick is not enough. We gave up two for him. I would liek to see a first rounder next year and a third rounder or another player.

UT-Phinz said:
I don't remember where I read it... but he can't unretire now. Due to his filing of his retirement papers he is completely excluded from all football for this season and cannot under any circumstances play for any team.

That makes me think that if we were to ink a deal with the Raiders (or any other team for that matter) to trade Ricky's rights away that he will have to serve his indefinite (1 year) suspension for the 2005 season and won't be eligible to play until 2006. This is of course barring that he doesn't fail any further drug tests.

G'luck on that one Raiders! I'll take your first round pick and be happy to get anything out of that scumbag traiterous bastard. 2 years is an awful long time to wait for Ricky to play for you and I see that headcase screwing up something big between now and then.

No, he CAN unretire now, but that unretirement constitutes a fourth positive test. That's why he'd miss a whole year. A player can retire and unretire at will, but guys in the substance abuse program (like S*itbrick #34) have special rules. The ESPN article link above spells that out.

Back
Top Bottom