Franchise Landry is the right move. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Franchise Landry is the right move.

a one year franchise is fiduciary responsible, there is no signing bonus and you actually can then fit him next year as there are huge salaries that can be released in 2019. You can save $70M if you cut in 2019:
Suh
Tannehill
Jones
Stills
Branch
Alonso
Pouncey
McDonald

A wee bit of flawed logic here....more than a wee bit actually....First of all, they have the money to sign him now, that's not an issue at all. Secondly, under your approach, you suggest paying the tag this year and then signing him represents a good 'fiduciary responsibility.' How? If they intend to sign him after next year, you don't pay the tag, you pay him his contract now. Under your scenario, they will end up paying him far MORE guaranteed money than if they just sign him now. Look, Miami doesn't gain leverage by tagging him, contrary to some belief, they lose it because he'll sign it and play for $15 million and then say 'pay me or I walk free' next year because they will under no circumstances tag him again next year. Lastly, what on God's green earth makes you think he would sign a long term deal next year under your ridiculous proposal to cut all their good players? lol. Yeah, a lot of great savings but with the exception of Alonso which looks now like a sure-fire cut next offseason, cutting all those players is NOT going to happen. I mean, get C'mon...

If this team can replace Jarvis will someone like James Washington to man the slot, then by about week 8 you’re going to forget who Jarvis Landry is.

People cried when Davone Bess left to Cleveland where he was sure to make us lament Wes Welker 2.0.

I believe he has to sign the tender to trade him. Good luck with that if you’re trying to move him to a team he’s not down with.

But if they tag him and he doesn't sign it, he risks the team withdrawing the tag after FA has dried up.

They could use the non-exclusive franchise tag to lower the ($16.46M) cap number. It's the average of the top 5 salaries over the last 5 years instead of averaging just last years top 5. Teams would have to give up 2 first round picks if we don't match the offer. That can also be negotiated down I believe.

I might be missing something. Do we even know the number Landry is looking to get? I've been an advocate of paying him (and even overpaying him a bit for his slot position), but if he's looking for the kind of money a #1 outside receiver would get this offseason, then I'm going to walk that support back a bit. Franchising him might help with leverage, but that's a lot of scratch.

Landry is a play maker, a big time play maker. Sometimes he puts the team on his back and won't let them lose. At his best he is one of the great slot receivers I've ever seen. He's worth a boat load of money, about 12.5 m should do it. Both sides are doing the customary posturing as part of the negotiations. He is young and still getting better. Once his contract is done it should have a calming affect on Jarvis, I hope. He needs to be taught to channel his intensity the right way.

If we keep Jarvis Landry, as I really hope we do, we still need to take a hard look at the reasons why this offensive system isn't producing an elite unit that scores lots of points. Let's draft a guy or two to make sure oline problems are a thing of the past, I'm also open to a FA Guard if he is quality. Find a TE in the draft, I like Troy Fumagali and finally draft a RB to compliment Drake and finally, I think the team should keep Damiam Williams, he's been a good tool for Gase. This is not that hard to do. A competent FO should be able to make these moves with ease. Let's see how Big Daddy Tannenbaum does.

If we can put those parts together we should be a run first, play action type offense that takes lots of shots downfield. With a true TE on the field and Landry still on the team along with Drake, RT has many targets for check downs and quick patterns and of course, Stills and Parker for the deeper shots. This is an offense RT can run very competently imo. Now build a fast, hungry, mean hard hitting defense.

Before Drake got some playing time, the only offensive threats were 3 receivers. With the emergence of Drake as a receiver, more use of a TE, and cheap slot receivers on the roster, is Landry's production replaceble?
If Landry was used as an outside receiver I would be willing to pay much more than what a slot receiver gets. Just like left tackles get paid more than right tackles.
I get the feeling Miami realizes there is a good chance Landry won't be back and has a plan b.

I agree completely. I love Landry, but his production is likely to be replaced by increased usage of Drake, Grant, and a real TE threat.

Stills, Parker, Grant and Carroo? Sorry but that's just disgusting. This team just ain't in position to let Landry walk due to the fail of Carroo and Parker. My dream deal is Cleveland. Get there 2nd rounder and Josh Gordan. Ok so he smoke the weed. He been clean 2 years and it's past his life. He still looks like a beast

YEAH, there GOING TO GIVE UP A SECOND ROUNDER PLUS GORDAN AND TAKE ON A $15-$16 MILLION DOLLAR 1 YR CONTRACT WHICH COULD TURN OUT TO BE A 1 YEAR RENTAL IF LANDRY DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY THERE

a one year franchise is fiduciary responsible, there is no signing bonus and you actually can then fit him next year as there are huge salaries that can be released in 2019. You can save $70M if you cut in 2019:
Suh
Tannehill
Jones
Stills
Branch
Alonso
Pouncey
McDonald

Good luck with the over $30 million in dead cap money
and still having to find replacements for the above

If we franchise Landry it would pretty much absorb all of our cap space and give us no flexibility until the situation was taken care of.

It is simple...dolphins have the price at one number, Juice has his is at another number...each side is waiting to see if the other will budge. If neither does, Landry moves on. This second contract is the life of these players...I don't blame Landry for getting every dime he can get, but I also don't blame a team setting a price and sticking to it. Really wish they would have done that last off-season.

Back
Top Bottom