Franchise Tag Landry | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Franchise Tag Landry

no. no no NO! transition tag him, let him get offered, save the $$$$ and take the compensatory pick. NO. MORE. BAD. CONTRACTS.

we don't want to pay him 12 or 13 mill but we'll tag him and pay him 16mill?......lol

Ozzy rules!!

no. no no NO! transition tag him, let him get offered, save the $$$$ and take the compensatory pick. NO. MORE. BAD. CONTRACTS.
I'm hoping for no more bad contracts but with t-dumb in charge they're bound to happen again

Ozzy rules!!

Signing Cutler cost us Landry, Cutler is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Let Landry go and build through the draft??? I don't get that logic. We drafted Landry, groomed the guy in our system, he has OUTPLAYED HIS CONTRACT for a few years now and when he wants a long term deal we're ready to say good bye to our only Pro Bowl quality offensive player. Why draft players, see them excel and then say we don't want to pay this guy. I realize his demands are very high but that's his agent negotiating. I hope we are able to bridge this gap and make a deal both sides can go forward with. This team was garbage on offense last season with our star slot receiver so picture how much Landry will be missed. Go watch games from last season, then watch some tape of Tannehill hitting Landry with great passes, then decide if we should bring back RT's favorite weapon.

You only tag him if you are reasonably certain after calling around that you could get a 2nd and a 4th from someone who's willing to pay Landry what he wants (5 year/70M). If, after making several discreet inquiries, it appears there is no good tag and trade market for him then you absolutely must let him go and take the 3rd round comp next year.

And don't act like this could never happen. There are at least three teams off the top of my head that would at least consider giving up something for a guy they know they need desperately - if it means they could avoid a costly bidding war for his services.

Transition tag is useless for a team with little cap space. Teams that submit offer sheets will just structure the deal to have a huge year 1 cap hit that makes it prohibitive for the original team to sign the player.

Most of the big spenders out there will want starting outside receivers. There's only a few of those on the market.

Sammy Watkins: Injury prone
Allen Robinson: Injury concern and 1 year wonder
Terrell Pryor: 1 year wonder
Mike Wallace: 31 years old
Paul Richardson: 703 yards, 6 TD in year 4 (best season)

That's about it. The rest are either low end or slot receivers. I don't see any teams giving out $14M deals to any of these guys. Stranger things have happened but i sure would offer more than $10M for any of them.

Slot receivers

Jarvis Landry
Jordan Mathews
Danny Amendola

Does anyone think any of these guys will get paid big money? Sometimes the market softens on certain positions. Sometimes it makes a huge jump. OG for instance.

I would sign Paul Richardson at a 1/3 the money of Landry, if it were possible. I liked his athleticism a lot coming out of Colorado. He'd be better suited playing with a tall, big armed pocket passer. PR is a little dude and while I think Russell Wilson is an outstanding QB, his WR's probably get frustrated by all his ad-libing.

I wouldn't be looking to throw any money at WR's though.

I like Jarvis, if he comes back on great terms for the Dolphins, wonderful. I don't see it happening so I've made my peace with it already and moved on. If he ends up on an NFC team I'll root for him, if he signs with NE, NYJ, Buffalo or Baltimore, he's an enemy of the state.

Sign and trade. They do it all the time in baseball/basketball. Sign and trade to Baltimore for their 2nd rounder. Something for him, other wise a missed play by the front office (badly)!

The transition tag would be the worst option in my opinion. If you transition tag him you couldn't even get a compensatory pick for him if he leaves.

We did the exact same thing with Vernon. Transition him. Wait for the tampering period, find out what offers he is getting and then choose to keep him or rescind the tag (to get a comp pick). It's a loophole in the Transition tag that didn't exist when the tag was brought on because the tampering period didn't exist then.

Back
Top Bottom