FSU: 2005 ACC Champs!! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FSU: 2005 ACC Champs!!

nyjunc said:
It's why CFB is a joke, there are only a handful of teams that can win a title in any year and it's almost impossible if you aren't a top 10 team in the preseason polls to climb up even if you are beter than certain teams and each team only plays about 2 maybe 3 tough games while the rest are cupcakes. CFB would be great if they determined a true Champion w/ a playoff system.

Really? PSU wasnt ranked preseason and was 1 second away from being #2 in the BCS.

What the preseason polls help is the TOP ranked teams. Halfway through the season, Texas should have been #1 for a few weeks but because USC was preseason #1, its next to impossible for them to fall until they lose. However in the grand scheme of things that point is moot because Texas and USC are in the BCS championship so it really doesnt matter who was 1 or 2 coming into it.

Philter25 said:
Really? PSU wasnt ranked preseason and was 1 second away from being #2 in the BCS.

What the preseason polls help is the TOP ranked teams. Halfway through the season, Texas should have been #1 for a few weeks but because USC was preseason #1, its next to impossible for them to fall until they lose. However in the grand scheme of things that point is moot because Texas and USC are in the BCS championship so it really doesnt matter who was 1 or 2 coming into it.

Even had they beat Michigan and been undefeated they still would not have climbed past texas which makes CFB a joke. It should be decided on the field and not in the polls.

nyjunc said:
Even had they beat Michigan and been undefeated they still would not have climbed past texas which makes CFB a joke. It should be decided on the field and not in the polls.
Oh yes they would have. They might not have been ahead in the polls, but their SOS would have had them #2 in the BCS rankings and thats all that matters.

Philter25 said:
Oh yes they would have. They might not have been ahead in the polls, but their SOS would have had them #2 in the BCS rankings and thats all that matters.

PSU did not exactly have a brutal sched, they had 1 somewhat tough road game and lost it. They beat OSU at home while UT beat them on the road, I do not believe PSU would have climbed past UT even if they had beaten a mediocre Mich team on the road.

top 5 teams in the big 12:

texas
texas tech
oklahoma
colorado
iowa state

top 3 teams in the big 10:

penn state
ohio state
wisconsin
iowa
michigan

which 5 would you rather schedule?

Caps said:
Get off the Miami kick. I'm debating the validity of a system that you refuse to admit is flawed, not the sucess/failure of the hurricanes season. FSU didn't deserve to be in the ACC game, and it doesn't deserve to go to a BCS bowl, if it was any other team I would be saying the same exact thing.

dude how is it flawed? you lost 2 acc games VT lost 1 acc game thats why they went.

oh its flawed cause it doesnt work in UM favor? FSU lost 4 games sure. but it won the games it had to get into the championship game.

next time if your gonan lost 2 games dont make them ACC games.

just like in the NFL the Dolphins missed the playoffs one year with a 10-6 record and the ravens went with something like 9-7 Why? cause they won there confrence. and we didnt.

Mindwarp said:
dude how is it flawed? you lost 2 acc games VT lost 1 acc game thats why they went.

oh its flawed cause it doesnt work in UM favor? FSU lost 4 games sure. but it won the games it had to get into the championship game.

just like in the NFL the Dolphins missed the playoffs one year with a 10-6 record and the ravens went with something like 9-7 Why? cause they won there confrence. and we didnt.

well said. cane fans crying about the situation is getting pathetic

LOL...

First of all, as much as I think there could have been a "better" team than FSU in the ACC champ game... That does not matter. The system was set up, they won enough of the games to get them to the champ game and made the big win. It happens in ALL conferences one year or another.

Back in '96 Texas pulled the upset of then unbeatable Nebraska. There was a year in the SEC when I think it was Bama came in as a huge under-dog and pulled the upset.

That is the BEAUTY of the championship games. That is why I still want a playoff. Same things would happen. Just because one team is undefeated and was playing the best in the beginning of the year does not mean they are the best team in the country at that time. Same arguement holds for conferences.

Mindwarp said:

Read my posts. I don't care about whether or not Miami gets a good deal. I care that EVERY team gets a FAIR deal in their conference and in the BCS. I'm not a Miami homer. How about this, I'll take Miami out of the equation entirely. Not including Miami, there are FOURTEEN teams ranked higher than FSU that do not get to go to a BCS bowl. How in the heck is that fair? And don't give me some "that's the way it is" bull. I want some common sense responses on why this system is fair.

nyjunc said:
PSU did not exactly have a brutal sched, they had 1 somewhat tough road game and lost it. They beat OSU at home while UT beat them on the road, I do not believe PSU would have climbed past UT even if they had beaten a mediocre Mich team on the road.

Actually, you can pretty much estimate. PSU is .06 points behind Texas in the final BCS. Do you think 1 loss can overcome .06 points? Absolutely. There is no doubt in my mind that if PSU was undefeated they would be #2.

They play a MUCH harder schedule than Texas. They would have been ranked #2 in the polls and their SOS is harder so they would have been ranked higher in the final BCS standings.

I cant even believe you are going to debate this. PSU only played 3 teams this year that were NOT ranked in the top 25 at one point. The Big10 has 5 teams in the final top 25, and 2 teams in the top 5.

The Big12 has Texas and Texas Tech. Thats it. There is no way in hell Texas played a tougher schedule. :lol:

Wanna know who played the toughest schedule in college football this year according to the BCS computers? I'll give you a hint, it wasnt a Big12 team.

(Michigan......and more than half the other Big10 teams are in the top 10... PSU is #7 whereas Texas is #33 :D )

Caps said:
Not including Miami, there are FOURTEEN teams ranked higher than FSU that do not get to go to a BCS bowl. How in the heck is that fair? And don't give me some "that's the way it is" bull. I want some common sense responses on why this system is fair.

Here's a good reason why!!!

Oregon finished #2 in their conference.
Notre Dame doesn't belong to a conference
Miami finished #3 in the ACC
Auburn finished #3 in the SEC
Va. Tech finished #2 in the ACC
LSU finished #2 in the SEC
Alabama finished #4 in the SEC
TCU plays in the Mountain West Conference ( Not a BCS conference)
Texas Tech finished #3 in the Big-12
UCLA finished #3 in the Pac-10
Florida finished #5 in the SEC
Wisconsin finished #3 in the Big-10
Louisville finished #2 in the Big East
Michigan finished #6 in the Big-10
Boston College finished #4 in the ACC

Do you see a trend, NONE OF THOSE TEAMS WON THEIR CONFERENCES!!! The BCS was set up so the Top-2 teams in the nation would square off for the National Championship, and the conference champions would be rewarded. I can't think of a better way to put it.

Back
Top Bottom