Gase's Rebuilt Offense is going to shock the NFL | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase's Rebuilt Offense is going to shock the NFL

As far as the comments made on draft compensation it is based on the new contact the player signs for on their new team, their playing time, post season honors. The player must be a free agent. So yes Laundry would fetch a 3rd. The only way that does not happen if we sign a high priced free agent ourselves which is pretty impossible when you do not have the money to do so. Now to address the statement of this years 4th pick is worth next years 3rd is totally out of the context of how Jimmy Johnson expressed it. If you move up during the draft to nab a prospect then you need to project him as a higher round pick in the following years draft. Such as when we drafted Patrick Surtain. In the case of both Laundry and Ajayi we just settled for a 4th round pick with no idea of how that pick is to be used. Actually if you study both Jimmy Johnson and Bill Billicheat they trade back or away picks this year to move back to aquire more picks or higher picks in the next years draft. All these posts attempting to rationalize these 4th round giveaways using that logic are not even in the same ballpark of why you trade up in the draft.

I love these bullet points lol.

#3 is just so asinine its funny. Literally makes no sense. No coach ever WANTS to lose, let alone try to lose by sitting one of your best players. So he should have just sat everyone since that was a "meaningless" game? You think Landry is going to want to sit out a game when he's trying to get paid as much as possible? Might as well have sat half the team for the last part of the season by that awesome logic. Gase can't win with some people, its obvious.

5... i dont think you typed what you meant
This is so easy to rebutt. Moore and Cutler both were available for this game and we play the 3rd string QB we cut earlier in the year and only resigned him later after both Cutler and Moore were hurt. Yea right you want to win a game with the last guy on your depth chart on the most important position on the team against a team fighting to get into the playoffs. This is to funny you made my day.

That is exactly it in a nutshell. You want the guy who is trying to win the game every play, all by himself -- A.K.A. playground football. I want the guy who follows the play as called, even if it only gets 3 or 4 yards *this time* based on all 11 guys on the field doing their part -- A.K.A. professional football.

No, I'm not saying the guy should totally disregard or freelance but the best RBs in football have always been those who could adapt when the playcall was countered by the D or make something happen out of nothing, making quick changes/decisions based on their field vision and physicality. Gase strikes me as the type that, if a RB changed his running route based on what he saw yet ran for a huge gain or TD, would instead of congratulating him say "You didn't run the play we called".

This is so easy to rebutt. Moore and Cutler both were available for this game and we play the 3rd string QB we cut earlier in the year and only resigned him later after both Cutler and Moore were hurt. Yea right you want to win a game with the last guy on your depth chart on the most important position on the team against a team fighting to get into the playoffs. This is to funny you made my day.
Or, we are getting a look at the most unknown qb on the team. Seeing if he is worth a roster spot for this upcoming year

As far as the comments made on draft compensation it is based on the new contact the player signs for on their new team, their playing time, post season honors. The player must be a free agent. So yes Laundry would fetch a 3rd. The only way that does not happen if we sign a high priced free agent ourselves which is pretty impossible when you do not have the money to do so. Now to address the statement of this years 4th pick is worth next years 3rd is totally out of the context of how Jimmy Johnson expressed it. If you move up during the draft to nab a prospect then you need to project him as a higher round pick in the following years draft. Such as when we drafted Patrick Surtain. In the case of both Laundry and Ajayi we just settled for a 4th round pick with no idea of how that pick is to be used. Actually if you study both Jimmy Johnson and Bill Billicheat they trade back or away picks this year to move back to aquire more picks or higher picks in the next years draft. All these posts attempting to rationalize these 4th round giveaways using that logic are not even in the same ballpark of why you trade up in the draft.
We spent the money we saved on Landry pretty damn quickly in free agency this year. So if we didn't tag him, just let him walk and signed amendola and Wilson, we were not gonna get a 3rd.

No, I'm not saying the guy should totally disregard or freelance but the best RBs in football have always been those who could adapt when the playcall was countered by the D or make something happen out of nothing, making quick changes/decisions based on their field vision and physicality. Gase strikes me as the type that, if a RB changed his running route based on what he saw yet ran for a huge gain or TD, would instead of congratulating him say "You didn't run the play we called".

or maybe he was the guy in the film room pointing that JA had more 50 than 200 yard games and if he followed the play called, he would have more holes in the 4th.

Again, you reach for the player doing what he thinks is right vs. doing what the coach telling him to do. You want playground football. I want professional football.

We spent the money we saved on Landry pretty damn quickly in free agency this year. So if we didn't tag him, just let him walk and signed amendola and Wilson, we were not gonna get a 3rd.
Go out google the article on free agency compensation. Both recievers we picked up in free agency were neither in the ball park of Laundry playing time, nor were they all pos and their contracts were not of similar value. The only free agency players that would have been applied against our compensation that may have had some value was the de we traded a 4th for from St Louis. A traded player does not count against your compensation alotment.

Go out google the article on free agency compensation. Both recievers we picked up in free agency were neither in the ball park of Laundry playing time, nor were they all pos and their contracts were not of similar value. The only free agency players that would have been applied against our compensation that may have had some value was the de we traded a 4th for from St Louis. A traded player does not count against your compensation alotment.
We may have gotten a 3rd if we signed nothing to replace Landry but we signed 2 receivers, both free agents with a value of around 11 mil for this season. That's a difference of about 3 Mill. That's not netting you a 3rd. Keep banging that drum though...

Seems to me we got our answer about who is in charge when Ross gave his last interview. To summarize, he was not happy about all the cuts but there was a CONSENSUS between Tannenbaum, Grier AND Gase regarding all these moves. It's a team effort but it looks like Gase is setting the groundwork.

This is going to be HIS TEAM for the first time. No more (very few - 2 remain) holdover coaches or players that do not fit into what his idea of a team is....

He said as much last year and now almost everyone is gone.

Ajayi, Landry, Suh, Pouncey, (Timmons & Thomas for other reasons).

Ryan Grove, Anarumo, Terrell Williams, Foerster...even Clyde Christiansen was taken off OC duties.

Now we get to see if the plan works. Is Gase the genius as he was labeled by MANY in the industry OR is he in over his head? I tend to be somewhere in the middle on this. He is a darn good coach who is experiencing growing pains. Everyone's happy when you're winning, Now let's see what happen after the adversity starts.

Very true......and I'm onboard with releasing Pouncey. But one could argue that the running game opened up because teams weren't stacking the box and their game plans changed when there was no Ajayi. I mean, even Damien Williams had a couple good games before he got injured. I feel like our offensive game plan changed later in the year too. Either way, time will tell. It's simply hard to believe that we are going to be a better team by getting rid of so many starters.

If you believe that the released players did not study the game plan due to entitlement or poor work ethic, then it is not hard to believe that improvements will occur by players with better preparation. For many years, there has been a move to dumb down the defense or the offense. This trend reflects poorly on the players on the team from previous years. Philbin had player instruction issues. Clearly, Gase thought their were players with issues learning the material. This is a criticism for player acquisition not coaching. The head coach does bear responsibility for not moving on from players that did not put in the preparation effort. We will have to see if the players are better prepared.

or maybe he was the guy in the film room pointing that JA had more 50 than 200 yard games and if he followed the play called, he would have more holes in the 4th.

Again, you reach for the player doing what he thinks is right vs. doing what the coach telling him to do. You want playground football. I want professional football.

No...I want a coach who knows how to coach professional football players.....so far, Gase hasn't proven to be that (or much of anything really) but go on defending him as you continually have been (despite claiming you're not a Gase lover....the contents of your posts indicate otherwise). Strange how Doug Pederson had no problems after welcoming Ajayi on the team, huh?

Anyway, now Gase supposedly has made changes that he feels makes the team better and more chances of being successful....we'll see and if we having another losing season I'm sure there will be some here saying "But it wasn't Gase's fault" once again in some kind of Stockholm syndrome.

Just reviewing your reply. Prove that its not ego driven. Wheres your articles and facts?
1. Gase is not in charge of who is or was in his roster and was not involved in the Ajayi trade. I am sure there are articles out there that say otherwise. What a laugh.
My read is that after the terrible game in Baltimore that we lost 40 - 0, when Gase eventually replaced Ajayi with Drake to close out the game, Gase told Tannenbaum and Grier that he wanted him gone as soon as possible and Tannenbaum went to his buddy, Howie Roseman in Philly and accepted a 4th round Draft pick.

Last edited:
My read is that after the terrible game in Baltimore that we lost 40 - 0, when Gase eventually replaced Ajayi with Drake to close out the game, Gase told Tannenbaum and Grier that he wanted him gone as soon as possible and Tannenbaum went to his buddy, Howie Roseman in Philly and accepted a 4th round Draft pick.
Your probably correct. I would have liked to see Cutler in that game instead of Moore. Baltimore does not hold back in terms of punishment to the passer. If your right thats a knee jerk reaction to loosing. Ajayi would bring a 4th at the end of the season, in the meanwhile you sit the guy for insurance to injury to Drake and you still prove your point. No gain for the phins on how this was handled.

We may have gotten a 3rd if we signed nothing to replace Landry but we signed 2 receivers, both free agents with a value of around 11 mil for this season. That's a difference of about 3 Mill. That's not netting you a 3rd. Keep banging that drum though...
Hey you can google right read up on it yourself, its not just about money its also about number of snaps played and pro bowl ability to a lesser extent. These 2 guys are not in the same ball park. Its not like you sign 6 backup recievers for 2 million each and you all pro reciever former 1st round pro bowl receiver signs for 12 million your not going to get a comp pick. Billicheat gets top picks in comp draft every year doing this.

Hey you can google right read up on it yourself, its not just about money its also about number of snaps played and pro bowl ability to a lesser extent. These 2 guys are not in the same ball park. Its not like you sign 6 backup recievers for 2 million each and you all pro reciever former 1st round pro bowl receiver signs for 12 million your not going to get a comp pick. Billicheat gets top picks in comp draft every year doing this.
I've read plenty about the compensation formula. Money is given the most weight in the formula.

A 3rd is the highest possible compensatory pick. If we didn't replace Landry at all we probably get one, but are stuck shorthanded. 0% chance we get the highest possible pick when we spent 11mil in replacements for Landry. Absolutely no way that happens.

Back
Top Bottom