Gase's View of Landry's Ejection | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase's View of Landry's Ejection

Miami can let him walk. Use his $10-12 million fixing the o-line.

Draft a DE or LB in the first, draft a slot receiver in the 2nd. Texas A&M’s Christian Kirk or Anthony Miller from Memphis come to mind.

Landry makes some good catches, yes. But he isn’t a #1 receiver. You don’t shell out that kind of money to a possession receiver. New England sticks whoever they want at WR, and they get the job done. If he’s not a game changer, I’m not ok with the money being spent

Agreed! However, I have to think they decided not to trade him at the time because they truly had intentions of signing him long term. Now, given the recent events they're not so sure anymore.

Everyone loves and understand landry's passion. But his recent behavior is really hurting the team. You're a team leader and have to set a better example than that.

This would include not only not letting the other team into his head and making dumb penalties as a result, but putting some real effort to becoming a good leader on the team -- putting in the time watching film on his upcoming CBs, having total mastery of the playbook, and becoming a polished route runner.

The risk is running our offense once again thru a slow slot WR. I have explained this before but here it goes. With him as our #1 target we're running a dink and dunk having to go anywhere from 10 to 14 plays a drive in order to score a TD. Now as long as we score it doesn't matter how many plays we run and the defense gets to rest, right? But it's not that simple. Why do you think we don't score enough? Because when you run that type of offense too many things can go wrong. You'll get a dropped or a bad pass or an INT or a fumble or a penalty that kills the drive.

When you can get chunk plays then you don't need 14 plays to score a TD.....you only need 4 or 5 and hence it lowers the chance for a bad play that will kill the drive. How many times do we watch them driving and driving and then boom, a holding call.....or a drop or a bad pass and the drive is dead and we punt or settle for a FG. That's why I don't want paying him #1 money because as good as you think he is, he's holding the offense back. I'd be ok with him coming back but I don't want the offense running thru him. Do that and our offense will still have a hard time scoring enough points to win on a regular basis

Ozzy rules!!
I hear you but this is exactly how NE won their last 2 SBs and even Denver in between when Manning couldn’t throw anymore. Slot guys and dink / dunk - but you have to execute without penalties etc - and you need a real QB. Tannehill can run this kind of offense IMO. All that said sounds like Gase is sick of Jarvis.

If we were scoring a lot of point running our offense thru him then I'd say that we have to keep him. But we've been running our offense thru him for 4 years and we're one of the lowest scoring teams in the NFL. I'm not saying it's hist fault. We just need to stop running the offense thru him and if we're going to do that then he should not get paid like a #1

Ozzy rules!!
Thats all fine that still does not replace him on this team. The only other 3 weapons on this team Drake, Stills and Parker are injury prone. So there you have it while Laundry might not meet the fans standard he at least shows up as a consistent threat. We have been a mediocre team since Shula left, basically due to churning this roster so much. We could have kept Miller a starter for the Texans along with Jay Ajayi and used the high 3rd round pick we used on Drake on a olineman and been further ahead

I hear you but this is exactly how NE won their last 2 SBs and even Denver in between when Manning couldn’t throw anymore. Slot guys and dink / dunk - but you have to execute without penalties etc - and you need a real QB. Tannehill can run this kind of offense IMO. All that said sounds like Gase is sick of Jarvis.
NE did it but they were all pretty much the same WR's out there and Brady spread the football around. We're targeting one guy 14, 15 times a game with no speed. Those guys were speedy and like you said, you can't have the mistakes. Everything has to be perfect for the drive to go on and on. Not easy to do

Ozzy rules!!

NE did it but they were all pretty much the same WR's out there and Brady spread the football around. We're targeting one guy 14, 15 times a game with no speed. Those guys were speedy and like you said, you can't have the mistakes. Everything has to be perfect for the drive to go on and on. Not easy to do

Ozzy rules!!
Good point - they do spread the ball all over. I don’t trust our ability to sustain these types of drives given our pre snap issues. Perhaps we need more chunk plays w Parker, Stills, Grant and Drake. I honestly don’t know at this point as it’s hard to evaluate what we saw w Cutler as the norm.

Jarvis is our only offensive player who's "consistent." Gase said "body of work" would be evaluated and he's avg 100 receptions a season, recorded two 1000+ seasons, and has a reputable amount of TD's to show for it. I don't care about that last game fight and ejection, it's not like he's doing that every loss, in fact, I think that's his only DQ in a meaningless outing anyway, also, it's the Bills, **** them.

This entire forum could probably think of 7-10 other players they'd rather cut and save cap room then to give Landry away without trying to negotiate a contract. He's just too solid of a player to get rid of. It won't be popular but I say pay him like he's a number one. He's dangerous and you have to game plan for him. He's reminiscent of Steve Smith from Carolina. I would pay to keep a Steve Smith type player on this team.

For the record.....I never said that it's Landry's fault that we've had a low scoring offense since he's been here. What I'm saying is that as long as you run your offense thru a slot WR you will never have a high scoring offense. No that is not his fault. The team has to run a different offense. I'd say they have tried by drafting Parker and trading for Stills but Parker has not become that #1 he's supposed to be. Stills has done his job as a #2 but he missed Tannehill this year. I have no problem with Landry coming back but paying him #1 money is totally dumb and I doubt he'll want to stay if you don't pay him as the #1 so.........imo he can go and we can draft another WR like Ridley or Sutton or we can take one in round two or 3 and play Grant on the slot. He won't make as many catches but he'd make more big plays that our offense really needs

Ozzy rules!!
Tag and trade him is always an option. There are very likely affordable players out there with the requisite skillset to be a complimentary slot WR. What I have asked myself here lately is would having Landry get us very far in the playoffs? I find myself thinking almost exactly what you say above.

Jarvis is our only offensive player who's "consistent." Gase said "body of work" would be evaluated and he's avg 100 receptions a season, recorded two 1000+ seasons, and has a reputable amount of TD's to show for it. I don't care about that last game fight and ejection, it's not like he's doing that every loss, in fact, I think that's his only DQ in a meaningless outing anyway, also, it's the Bills, **** them.

This entire forum could probably think of 7-10 other players they'd rather cut and save cap room then to give Landry away without trying to negotiate a contract. He's just too solid of a player to get rid of. It won't be popular but I say pay him like he's a number one. He's dangerous and you have to game plan for him. He's reminiscent of Steve Smith from Carolina. I would pay to keep a Steve Smith type player on this team.

He's not Steve Smith just because it was said, go back to deciding about Landry.

Ozzy rules!!

Julian Edelman's 2 seasons where he actually played all 16 games he was targeted 9.4 time per game and 9.9. Landrys 2 most targeted seasons he was targeted 10.3 and 10.0. Also Edelman is a 4.5/4.6 guy so not exactly a burner.

I find it weird that people keep saying to just replace him. To draft someone, sign a free agent, to develop Carro. Like its just so easy to replicate or replace his production. This is a guy who's only been on the team for 4 years and is already 8th all time in receiving yards for the team and he did in 64 games which is the least amount of games played for by anybody in the top 10. If he's healthy next year he'll move up to #6 or #5 and everybody infront of him will have played for 100+ games. By next year 1st TD catch he'll be top 10 in TD's for dolphins WR's

If replacing him is so easy than how is a guy who's only been here 4 years already moving up our record books at such a fast pace. Why haven't other done what he is doing? It's like when people say all Tom Brady is nothing special because all he does is dink and dunk...but if it was so easy than why haven't other QB's done it and found similar success with Super Bowls and MVP's and posting elite career numbers?

People get so hung up on 8.8 as if he's the one who decides what route he's going to run. As if he wasn't on an upward trend each year with Tannehill. Maybe he'll never be a 15 y/c guy but I think he'll be in the 11/12 maybe the occasional 13 range, which is pretty good. I think 8.8 reminds of 2003 Ricky when he had a 3.5 ypc because we basically just ran him up the middle over and over and over.

Players can only do what they are asked to do, if Wake was put in coverage half the time and didn't get as many sacks, would it make sense to blame wake? Sorry for the soapbox.

I find it weird that people keep saying to just replace him. To draft someone, sign a free agent, to develop Carro. Like its just so easy to replicate or replace his production. This is a guy who's only been on the team for 4 years and is already 8th all time in receiving yards for the team and he did in 64 games which is the least amount of games played for by anybody in the top 10. If he's healthy next year he'll move up to #6 or #5 and everybody infront of him will have played for 100+ games. By next year 1st TD catch he'll be top 10 in TD's for dolphins WR's

If replacing him is so easy than how is a guy who's only been here 4 years already moving up our record books at such a fast pace. Why haven't other done what he is doing? It's like when people say all Tom Brady is nothing special because all he does is dink and dunk...but if it was so easy than why haven't other QB's done it and found similar success with Super Bowls and MVP's and posting elite career numbers?

People get so hung up on 8.8 as if he's the one who decides what route he's going to run. As if he wasn't on an upward trend each year with Tannehill. Maybe he'll never be a 15 y/c guy but I think he'll be in the 11/12 maybe the occasional 13 range, which is pretty good. I think 8.8 reminds of 2003 Ricky when he had a 3.5 ypc because we basically just ran him up the middle over and over and over.

Players can only do what they are asked to do, if Wake was put in coverage half the time and didn't get as many sacks, would it make sense to blame wake? Sorry for the soapbox.

Seems you argue the other way when it comes to Tennehill

Seems you argue the other way when it comes to Tennehill

I know what I'm getting with Landry. I don't know what I'm getting with Tannehill, I don't know if 2016 was really him finally getting it or him beating up on crappy teams. Would he have won 2 out of the final 3 games if he was healthy? Is he going to improve upon 2016 or revert back. If he plays bad will it be blamed on his injury thus making us wait another year to find out who he is? There are way too many questions for a guy heading into his 7th season for my liking.

I have acknowledged that he is the best QB we've had since Marino and I am not for cutting him because of that reason. I just don't believe he is the guy who is going to win us a Super Bowl and i wouldn't mind looking for his replacement. But I freaking hope i am wrong and he kills next year and we go deep in the playoffs. Being wrong would be amazing.

Since Parker sucks and can not stay healthy we can not afford to lose our best and really only reliable wr.

Back
Top Bottom