General NCAA thread

Discussion in 'College Sports Forum' started by FSU Truth, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Well said. Make it 10 teams. College ball is boring and needs to be shaken up.

2. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

No doubt. This team is just too young, especially on offense. The coaching staff obviously didn't prepare them well this week and the players weren't focused on the game. Very disappointing.

3. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

Houston is legit and Herman is a really good coach. If Jimbo heads to LSU, he would be my first choice for FSU. Y'all will be fine going forward, it just wasn't meant to be tonight.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. LouPhinFan

We've got UK at home next. I know Bobby hates the Wildcats with a passion but who knows about the team. I could see them coming out there and sleep walking against a poorly coached Kentucky football team, young teams do that sometimes. Who knows what their mindset will be going into whatever bowl game they make. I'm not even sure what they'll get at this point. They'll still have a Heisman Trophy winner so I guess the Orange Bowl would take us over FSU. If not we'll just fart our way through a Russell Athletic Bowl or something. I'm extremely disappointed, if you can't tell.

I hear U of L fans call into the local sports talk shows all the time talking about recruiting. It's always the same thing: "oh Bobby finds his guys, he can turn those 2 and 3 star guys into NFLers". Maybe that's true for offensive skill position players, but that OL needs a few fleet footed 5 stars. The OL recruiting has been poor going back to Charlie's tenure here. I'm sure Todd Grantham could use a few of those 5 stars on his defense too.

5. Buddy

It's totally reasonable to be disappointed, I have felt the same way a few times this year. I figure UL will bounce back and destroy UK with great prejudice. It will set them up nicely for the Orange Bowl assuming Clemson is in the playoff. FSU may sneak into an at large bid if they beat Cuse and UF as expected, otherwise we will get some lesser bowl. It's all good though, we are young as well. You'll have Jackson back at least one more year so UL should be even better next year as will FSU. I fully expect FSU and/or UL to be in the playoffs next year as Clemson will be rebuilding.

6. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

Agree. I was thinking the same thing... similar to how the conferences do it in the NFL.. The twist being...The champions of the Big 5 and 1 at large.

p.s. Am I alone in thinking there is a bias against the P12? If so, its due IMO to Geography & Time Zone. This yr, the "logic" may be because Stanford & the Ducks are having down yrs and USC isn't as dominant then the conference as whole must be down.

p.s.s. I'm still annoyed how my alma mater hosed last yr and got relegated to the LV Bowl. They should have been off to El Paso to play the Canes.

7. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

It's a shame Watson decided to **** off most of the year, even with a pretty bad Lamar Jackson showing he's still the favorite to get the heisman.

God damnit DeShaun :lol:

8. Namor

Namor Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

Wow!!!...after I flapped my lip about Louisville being snubbed in the rankings and being one of the teams I thought could give my Tide a run...well,...all I know if Louisville showed up with that
    OL from last night against Bama...Lamar would have gotten hurt and we would have won by 40....I might be crazy and welcome any comments for a counterpoint.

9. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Admittedly, I may have been getting a little worried about you Namor. I've read a lot of seemingly delusional posts in this thread the last few pages, I was just surprised to see any coming from you. :confused:

Glad to see you back to normal. So yeah, you might still be crazy. :lol:

10. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

I assume you're asking about bias against the P12 in regards to the committee? If so, my best guess is probably not. I think Washington would still be in the top 4 had they not gotten beat so thoroughly by USC. Their offensive line was dominated by USC just as bad as Louisville's was by Houston. Furthermore, if Washington wins out, I think they still get into the top 4 at the end. They're just not going to take Washington without being a conference champion. They can't.

One of the things that's weighing so heavily in a team like Michigan's favor right now is their win over P12 Colorado, and the fact they control their own destiny from here. So the P12 is getting the committee's respect in my opinion. But Washington has to win out, or the P12 will be left out of the playoff.

11. Buddy

No argument here, I couldn't believe what I was seeing last night. That was not even the same team that smashed FSU. I don't know if it is injuries or lack of focus but they look like a team that either quit or thought they couldn't be beat. Houston is no joke at all and they are very well coached...a really bad team to show up flat against. Nevertheless, these BCS and playoff scenarios always seem to work themselves out where the best teams end up in the championship games. Getting upset mid-season is usually futile so I don't worry much about it.

12. Sons Of Shula

[tweet]801277765374935040[/tweet]

13. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Herman to Texas. Both the coach and the job are over rated and deserving of each other. As for LSU, I like Ed Orgeron but Avella had to settle for his 3rd choice. Something tells me in 3 years both these programs will be hitting the reset button again.

14. Buddy

I don't know, Herman seems pretty solid. He's beaten some very big programs.

15. Phinatic8u

What the **** Louisville.

16. Buddy

That's kind of what I was thinking.

17. Sons Of Shula

[tweet]802600017236201472[/tweet]

:lol:

18. Phinatic8u

I seriously wish Dabo would've left the starters in the whole game.

Watson could've gotten 10 touchdown passes. No lie.

He had 6 in 2 and a half quarters.

19. LouPhinFan

Petrino needs to examine this coaching staff very closely this offseason. The offense is very young, so they were prone to inconsistency. But the offensive line has only had 1 or 2 truly good games in 2 seasons against competent defenses. OL coach Klenakis appears to be in over his head. That unit hasn't gotten any better over the course of this season. It's baffling that they haven't been able to develop a player that can play the center position better than former walk on Tobijah Hughley. He's been over matched for 3 seasons.

Todd Grantham's defense is fool's gold, that's pretty evident now. I wish he had left when the Raiders came calling. The guy is a hammer and that's all he knows how to be. If he were a surgeon, instead of a scalpel he'd bring a sledge hammer to the operating room. And that hammer is a blitz. A constant, ever present blitz. I wouldn't be surprised if I found out the guy does zero self scouting. In 3 seasons this defense hasn't made any stops when it really needed to against competent offenses. If feasts on the Boston Colleges and Wake Forests of the world and disappears against the Clemsons. This Kentucky loss was bad bad bad bad bad. There's no other way to describe it. I'm not happy right now and I know Petrino isn't. He hates UK with a passion and stormed out of his post game press conference early yesterday.

Now I've got to endure tons of stupid UK meme in my Facebook feed now. Like any of those UK dip**** fans really care about football. Most of them don't even know what the lines on a football field mean.:bobdole:

The team as looked unprepared for most of the games in October and November. That's on this coaching staff. These last 2 games were really, really bad and they were bad enough to either lose U of L an Orange Bowl berth or lose the Heisman for Lamar. Or maybe both. That's inexcusable. :smad:

20. Sons Of Shula

[tweet]802640878309408768[/tweet]

:sidelol:

21. Buddy

I think once Louisville beat FSU like they did, they felt invincible or at least lost focus. They've never been that sharp or played nearly that well since that game.

22. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Any Penn State fan with a conscience should feel a deep sense of shame today. Never forget what your school is responsible for you sacks of ****.

23. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

Most of the major bowls are set....

Playoffs
    Bowl Date Location Matchup
    Peach Bowl - (1) Alabama vs. (4) Washington
    Fiesta Bowl - (2) Clemson vs. (3) Ohio State

New Years six
    Sugar Bowl - Oklahoma (Big 12) vs. Auburn (SEC)
    Rose Bowl - Penn State (Big Ten) vs. Colorado (Pac-12)
    Cotton Bowl - Western Michigan (At-large) vs. Wisconsin (At-large)
    Orange Bowl - Florida State (ACC) vs. Michigan (SEC/Big Ten/ND)

Outside of the playoffs...the Michigan vs FSU games should be the most enjoyable....I know there are a good number of Michigan fellas on this forum so that will make it a little more enjoyable.

24. tfh_rules

tfh_rules Rookie

You blame the fans for what happened, and call them sacks of ****?? That's stupid.

25. Buddy

How in the hell Dalvin Cook is not a Heisman Finalist, I'll never know. I hope it motivates him to run for 200 yards or so against that vaunted Wolverine Defense.

26. FSU Truth

I saw that, over 2000 yards of total offense....19 TD's. Nothing against Dede Westbrook who I think is a great player, but there is no way he should be in over Cook.

27. Namor

If your going to put a defensive guy in the finals....It should have been the best defensive player,which is Jonathan Allen...not Peppers..what ,(1) pick???? oh!! he ran the wildcat..badly!!

28. LouPhinFan

Head scratcher for sure. 1 INT and 170 yards of offense. That doesn't scream finalist to me. Allen would have been a much better choice, but Bama defenders never seem to get their due in Heisman voting.

But then again going back to Suh's time at Nebraska, Heisman voters have no idea what to do with defensive players on their ballots.

29. FSU Truth

Oregon hires USF coach Willie Taggart...

I am very bias as I know Willie pretty well, but I feel like this is a great hire. An excellent recruiter.

30. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

I'd agree, even under Chip Kelly recruiting wasn't great at Oregon and got worse under Helfrich, and IMO, Washington hiring Chris Peterson was the worst thing to happen to Oregon as 1)That state is loaded with talent and Sark was recruiting well and 2)Peterson is an amazing coach.

Plus, I think Oregon needed to get away from Chip's system... they just didn't have adjustments as teams adapted.

31. FSU Truth

Taggart has adjusted some over the years, but it is all based out of the run game. I think landing a player like Flowers allowed him to do a little more on offense, but I know he likes the power running game.

It is going to be interesting to see if he can pull some of these players out of Florida, he was already doing pretty well in state and that was without the facilities Oregon has (which I have to believe are one of the top 5 in the country). A lot fo advantages in Oregon with that Nike money. Taggart is familiar with the Pac 12....really like this move for him and for the program.

32. LouPhinFan

Purdue made a good hire in Jeff Brohm too. In that West division I think he can have them challenging Wisconsin and Iowa in 2 or 3 years. All he's got to do is find himself a QB or 2.

Unfortunatley next season he opens with us and a Lamar Jackson that has another spring and fall of improvement under his belt.

33. Phinatic8u

Congrats Lamar on Heisman, even though I'm salty DeShaun lost it.

34. LouPhinFan

It's already starting...

[tweet]807772448858968064[/tweet]

35. FSU Truth

[video=youtube;Yrrj0076E9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrrj0076E9U[/video]

36. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

I am as far from a college expert as you can get, but Kiffin seems like a hell of a hire for FAU. Even if he does just see it as a stepping stone :idk:

37. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

If Kiffin doesn't hire assistants that are strong recruiters he won't last long. Namor and and Slimm obviously know better but from what I've read, Kiffin has a hard time connecting with recruits and is in the background when it comes to recruiting.

38. Buddy

That's because he is a ****!

39. Namor

Actually,Lane is a great recruiter...but recruiting for Bama,USC,or Tenn..is probably easier than at FAU.....the problem with Lane is...well, he is recently divorced...and he likes the college aged girls....time for Lane to move on before something silly happens.
    Thanks Lane..you did a hell of a job...and good luck to you....Time to see how Otis is at calling plays.

40. FSU Truth

"Lane, this is more of an X and O questions. If I bang your Ex wife, will I get to see her "O" face?