Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams

#43 Overall -- Stephen Hill / WR / Georgia Tech

I had a late 1st/early 2nd round grade on Hill and was rated the #4 wide receiver on my board. Explodes off the line of scrimmage and incredible workout numbers are visible on tape... although the production isn't quite there due to style of offense. Drops some easy passes and will learn how to run routes. Will go up and get the ball in 50/50 situations. Required to go into the middle of the field and root out linebackers in Paul Johnson's double-wing attack. Sky is the limit for this kid. Nice pick here. Grade: B+

My favorite part of the Draft Chat we had going here during the second round was when Hill went from being a good WR prospect that several were pining for with our pick to absolute **** and a guaranteed bust the minute we passed and the jests picked him. :lol:

Buffalo Bills

#10 Overall -- Stephon Gilmore / CB / South Carolina

This was a reach in my opinion, but I think he'll be a good player. #6 cornerback on my board and had an early 3rd round grade on Gilmore. Fast, athletic, and a terrific tackler. However, he just doesn't have the ball skills to warrant this high of a pick. Has starter potential and should be a solid player in the Bills secondary. I wouldn't have taken him this high. Grade: C+

#41 Overall -- Cordy Glenn / OT-G / Georgia

Glenn was the #2 tackle on my board and I had a 1st round grade on him. Took a game to get acclimated playing left tackle for the first time and struggled against Boise St. in the season opener, but probably had the best and most consistent film from that point forward of all the offensive tackles I looked at. Unbelievable athlete for his size. Incredibly strong upper body and adequate feet to play tackle. Looked more comfortable at left tackle to me once he adjusted than he did even at guard for Georgia. Struggles some to get out of his stance quick enough playing guard and loses leverage. I like him better at tackle where he can use those long arms and sweet feet to absorb pass rushers in vertical pass sets. Steal here for Buffalo. Grade: A

#69 Overall -- T.J. Graham / WR / N.C. State

The #9 slot receiver on my board and had a 5th round grade on Graham. Bills reached here for another kid who's been on my underrated list for a long time. Will struggle getting off press and needs to be in the slot where he has a two way go. Dangerous kick returner, but a reach here in the 3rd round. Grade: C+

#105 Overall -- Nigel Bradham / OLB / Florida St.

The #6 4-3 outside linebacker on my board and had a 3rd round grade on him. Vines for arms that will help him fight off blocks. Fast and athletic. Will deliver the big hit when give an opportunity. Not as good of a pick as when Buffalo drafted Sam Cowart out of FSU in the 2nd round of the 1998 draft, but could develope into a starter and didn't reach for him here. Grade: B-

#124 Overall -- Ron Brooks / CB / LSU

#26 cornerback on my board and had a 6th round grade on him mainly due to outstanding speed. One of the 2 or 3 fastest cornerbacks in this draft. Was overshadowed by Morris Claiborne, Tyran Mathieu, and Therald Simon in LSU's secondary, but Brooks made some big plays of his own (see Ole Miss game). Can blitz off the edge in nickel packages. Probably a nickel/dime package corner and special teams player for Bills. Grade: C+

#144 Overall -- Zebrie Sanders / OT / Florida St.

I had a late 4th round grade on Sanders and rated him the #12 tackle on my board. Was always a little overrated, but decent pick here. Just don't ask him to cut block. Grade: C+

#147 Overall -- Tank Carder / ILB / TCU

#6 inside linebacker on my board and had a late 4th round grade on Carder. Heart and soul of Gary Patterson's 4-2-5 defense and plays with his hair on fire. Shoots gaps and makes plays, although sideline to sideline range isn't elite. Pretty solid pick to get Tank here. Grade: B-

#178 Overall -- Mark Asper / OG / Oregon

Asper wasn't on my draft board. Grade: D

#251 Overall -- John Potter / K / Western Michigan

Nice kicker.

My favorite part of the Draft Chat we had going here during the second round was when Hill went from being a good WR prospect that several were pining for with our pick to absolute **** and a guaranteed bust the minute we passed and the jests picked him. :lol:

They always do. It's a mystery how some of these organizations even field a team selecting the garbage that Miami passes on.

Miami Dolphins

#8 Overall -- Ryan Tannehill / QB / Texas A&M

Dolphins manage to stay put and have the best quarterback in the draft fall into the laps at #8. Ireland is a genius. Grade: A+

#42 Overall -- Jonathan Martin / OT / Stanford

Best left tackle in the draft somehow slips through the cracks for the Dolphins to land him at the top of the 2nd round. The black cloud is lifting. Grade: A+

#72 Overall -- Olivier Vernon / DE-OLB / Miami

Yeeeeay boyzz! Mo' playaz frum da "U" dats wut im talmbout. Grade: A+

#78 Overall -- Michael Egnew / TE / Missouri

Ireland land a sure fire Hall of Fame weapon in the passing game that will send Rex and Bill Belichick into early retirement in the 3rd round. Grade: A++

#97 Overall -- Lamar Miller / RB / Miami

OMGZZZ dis kid is so fast! All about da "U"!

#155 Overall -- Josh Kaddu / LB / Oregon

Ireland nabs the best linebacker off the West Coast just outside the top 150 picks. He's "killin it". Grade: A+

#183 Overall -- B.J. Cunningham / WR / Michigan St.

Ireland's genius again surfaces late in the draft by grabbing the next Muhsin Muhammad out of Michigan St. in the 6th round. Grade: A+

#215 Overall -- Kheeston Randall / DT / Texas

Ireland strikes black gold here in the late rounds by stealing a Richard Seymour clone. Grade: A+

#227 Overall -- Rishard Matthews / WR / Nevada

Dolphins get the next great receiver from Nevada here with their last pick, and wrap up the best draft in franchise history. Grade: A+

That's all 'til next year....

Well Played... I'd love to read your real thoughts though.

Championship teams are built in large part through the UDFA's. They have a choice of where they want to sign based on where they feel they have the best shot to make a roster.

These are the top UDFA signings by each team according to my draft board...

Patriots:

Brad Herman / TE / Iowa

Brandon Bolden / RB / Ole Miss

Dolphins:

Jonas Gray / RB / Notre Dame

Derek Moye / WR / Penn St.

Kelcie McCray / S / Arkansas St.

Jeff Fuller / WR / Texas A&M

Derek Dennis / OG / Temple

Jets:

G.J. Kinne / QB / Tulsa

Marcus Dowtin / LB / North Alabama

Donnie Fletcher / CB / Boston College

Bills:

N/A

Bengals:

Tony Dye / S / UCLA

Kashif Moore / WR / UCONN

Rodney Stewart / RB / Colorado

Browns:

Tashaun Gipson / CB / Wyoming

Garth Gerhart / C / Arizona St.

Bert Reed / WR / Florida St.

Ravens:

Charles Brown / CB / North Carolina

Nick Provo / TE / Syracuse

Bobby Rainey / RB / Western Kentucky

Ishmaa'ily Kitchen / NT / Kent St.

Elliot Henigan / DE-DT / UAB

Steelers:

Marquis Maze / WR / Alabama

Adrian Robinson / DE-OLB / Temple

Colts:

N/A

Jaguars:

Mike Brewster / C / Ohio St.

Jarrett Boykin / WR / Virginia Tech

Nelson Rosario / WR / UCLA

Texans:

Desmond Morrow / CB-S / Toledo

Case Keenum / QB / Houston

Davin Meggett / RB / Maryland

Dwight Jones / WR / North Carolina

Titans:

William Vlachos / C / Alabama

Brandon Barden / TE / Vanderbilt

Broncos:

Duke Ihenacho / S / San Jose St.

Gerell Robinson / WR / Arizona St.

Coryell Judie / CB / Texas A&M

Jerry Franklin / ILB / Arkansas

Anthony Miller / TE / California

Jamie Blatnick / DE-OLB / Oklahoma St.

Eric Page / WR / Toledo

Chargers:

N/A

Chiefs:

Tim Biere / TE / Kansas

Neiko Thorpe / CB-S / Auburn

Dexter Heyman / LB / Louisville

Raiders:

Aaron Henry / S / Wisconsin

Dominique Hamilton / DT / Missouri

Lucas Nix / OG / Pittsburgh

Cowboys:

Darrell Scott / RB / South Florida

Ronald Leary / OG / Memphis

Jeff Adams / OT / Columbia

Eagles:

Chris Polk / RB / Washington

Chase Ford / TE / Miami

Phillip Thomas / S / Syracuse

Giants:

Janzen Jackson / S / McNeese St.

Redskins:

Chase Minnifield / CB / Virginia

Lance Lewis / WR / ECU

Darius Hanks / WR / Alabama

Lennon Creer / RB / Louisiana Tech

Bears:

James Brown / OG-T / Troy

Adrien Cole / ILB / Louisiana Tech

Adonis Thomas / RB / Toledo

Lions:

Carmen Messina / LB / New Mexico

Packers:

Sean Richardson / S / Vanderbilt

Don Barclay / OT-G / West Virginia

Vikings:

Quentin Saulsberry / OG / Mississippi St.

Derrick Coleman / RB / UCLA

Tydreke Powell / DT / North Carolina

Buccaneers:

Leonard Johnson / CB / Iowa St.

Dan Persa / QB / Northwestern

Morkeith Brown / DE / Temple

Tramaine Thomas / S / Arkansas

Falcons:

Jerrell Harris / OLB / Alabama

Panthers:

Tauren Poole / RB / Tennessee

Saints:

Johnny Thomas / S / Oklahoma St.

Jerico Nelson / S / Arkansas

Cardinals:

N/A

49ers:

Al Netter / OG-T / Northwestern

Jewel Hampton / RB / Southern Illinois

Tony Jerod-Eddie / DT / Texas A&M

Rams:

DeAngelo Peterson / H-back / LSU

Sammy Brown / OLB / Houston

Austin Davis / QB / Southern Miss

Noah Keller / ILB / Ohio

Seahawks:

Jermaine Kearse / WR / Washington

Lavasier Tuinei / WR / Oregon

I knew you were fos when I saw the A+ next to Tannehill.

Did you make a similar thread last year?

actually ted, I would like to see your real thoughts, because unlike the "we hate it" or "we love it" crowd (of which I fall into the second group) getting an objective educated opinion is nice too. so please without the sarcasim?

I really would like to see your thoughts. I'm used to disappointment in life. I follow the Dolphins after all :)

While I think this was one of the better drafts we have had in a awhile, as a long time lurker on these forums, I've always thought you were pretty knowledgeable on this stuff and value your opinion.

Miami Dolphins

#8 Overall -- Ryan Tannehill / QB / Texas A&M

why I like this pick:
Simple... because it's a quarterback. I always said that I'll forgive busting out on a franchise quarterback in the 1st round more than I would to continuously pass them up. Miami had to take a chance. It's a quarterback league and either the coaching staff, the quarterback himself, or both have to be fairly inept in order to experience little or no success with the way the league is structured now. Tannehill was required to make more NFL caliber throws than just about any quarterback in this draft. By "NFL caliber", I'm referring to the timing and difficulty of the throw based on being tied in to his footwork and progression. The most impressive thing Tannehill may have ever done was lead aTm in receptions while playing the receiver position. That's just a phenomenal achievement for a kid who was biding his time waiting for a chance to play his true position. I'm a big fan of Ryan Tannehill and always have been. I would want to see this kid succeed no matter where he went. The fact that proven quarterback developers are in place helps this pick tremendously. That wouldn't be the case with the previous staff. As soon as Miami drafted him, I said that everyone needed to get behind this kid and support him because he deserves it... not because Ireland drafted him. If they bring him along properly and let him sit for at least half the season if they intend to move Matt Moore around the deadline, etc.... this pick could pay off for Miami in the long run. The list of positives and reason for optimism in regards to Tannehill is long and I've pointed them out throughout this entire process.... going back to his Junior season.

why I don't like this pick: Simple.... because Miami was forced to pass up elite talent because they put themselves in a position where they were forced to reach for a quarterback who I had a 2nd round grade on and generate some buzz, ticket sales, etc. I said it all along and it didn't change when Miami drafted him. Tannehill is a 1st round pick physically, although one thing I've always valued in a quarterback was clutch in his gut. A kid who wins games he's not supposed to win and makes everyone around him better. Tannehill hasn't shown that ability. Miami is reaching for something that hasn't manifested itself on the field yet... even in college. I never thought Tannehill would bust. If anything I feel like he'll be more of a game manager. He's still lacking in situational football knowledge due to inexperience. I would've taken Luke Kuechly here and not apologized for it.

Overall: It was probably the right pick because of the fit, and general desperation in the fanbase. It makes a little more business sense right now than it does from a pure football standpoint, but that could change... and that's why these coaches get paid a lot of money. Whether Tannehill pans out or not, it's probably going to get Miami headed in the right direction for once either way. If he fizzles out, you keep drafting them until you hit. It doesn't set you back any further than sifting through the trash heap of other team's scraps. Grade: B+

(I'm going to do each one of Miami's picks individually)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom