Great statement by the Herald..... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great statement by the Herald.....

JPhinfan86 said:
:roflmao: :roflmao: I was going to say the exact same thing inFINsible (notice I didn't call you inFINS). :up:

Thanks JPhinfan86.....Do you know we actually have a member who calls themself inFINS.....I haven't seen him/her post yet but they're there.

:huh: we DID have a member that used that name.....no more, I guess...

inFINSible said:
I remember O-Gun crying last year too. You know, back when he was under contract.

Wale was not under contract last year either. He was an exclusive rights free agent. He could only negotiate with the Dolphins for a required tender offer of $375k.

His problem was he had just come off a 9.5 sack season and thought that he at least deserved a few incentives. He was right and didn't sign until they gave him some incentives on the eve of training camp.

This is what they gave him:
125k for 14 or more sacks
100k for leading the team in sacks
25k for making the pro bowl.

Guess what, he made them all. The truth is he has been way underpaid for two years now. He made $304k for his 9 sack season and some think Chambers was underpaid???

Check it out. Chambers received a $ 1,187,500 signing bonus. So tell me who was getting under paid???

Forgot to tell you all, Wale's signing bonus was $7,550.

The difference is $1.18 million.

Now Wale did have some bad luck getting hurt in college and having to enter the NFL as an undrafted free agent. But after four years the Dolphins are still giving him the runaround and most of the fans don't even realize it. Or worse yet want to blame him.

bmark549 said:
True, but the bottom line is, Chambers is classy. Didn't complain about his contract when probably no one would blame him for holding out for a better one. He avoided complaining about not having a big deal when asked about it by the media. He played hard and showed up when he didn't have to even if he wasn't making the big buck. Overall he's a classy individual. I don't necessarily blame O-gun but I think he should come back and play hard. He will be rewarded as CC was. By the way how much cap space will we have?

I don't think Chambers contract was really ground breaking. These guys are NOT performing at the same level right now.

Chambers has potential...for sure, but his contract surely will crumble if that potential isn't reached.

OGUN...well he has already broken 2 highmarks....he has gone to the pro bowl and lead the AFC in sacks. Therefore, he deserves a nice signing bonus without all the red tape attached to it.

Merman said:
Wale was not under contract last year either. He was an exclusive rights free agent. He could only negotiate with the Dolphins for a required tender offer of $375k.

His problem was he had just come off a 9.5 sack season and thought that he at least deserved a few incentives. He was right and didn't sign until they gave him some incentives on the eve of training camp.

Guess what, he made them all. The truth is he has been way underpaid for two years now. He made $304k for his 9 sack season and some think Chambers was underpaid???

Check it out. Chambers received a $ 1,187,500 signing bonus. So tell me who was getting under paid???
Ok fair point but HE did sign the contract so he knew what he was palying for. I for one tend to think that people should honour the contract they happily signed and wait to renegotiate. If you do the biz on the field you will get paid . Its as simple as that.

One should not forget that in the NFL these days there is no loyalty both from the team and to the team. It appears the one unequivicol fact is that money rules.

Merman said:

Now Wale did have some bad luck getting hurt in college and having to enter the NFL as an undrafted free agent. But after four years the Dolphins are still giving him the runaround and most of the fans don't even realize it. Or worse yet want to blame him.

Exactly! Ogunleye wanted to do a long term deal last year. The numbers that his side gave to Miami were 5 years, $25 million. Miami could have had this done at a much cheaper price than they will have to pay now.

Ogunleye is a top defensive end in the NFL, and he wants to be paid accordingly. This should have been done LAST year.

Paul Mad ScotPZ said:
Ok fair point but HE did sign the contract so he knew what he was palying for. I for one tend to think that people should honour the contract they happily signed and wait to renegotiate. If you do the biz on the field you will get paid . Its as simple as that.

One should not forget that in the NFL these days there is no loyalty both from the team and to the team. It appears the one unequivicol fact is that money rules.

What are you talking about??? Wale has honored every contract he has signed.

He is not under contract now.

The only remedy he has is to hold out. If he were to sign the required tender then he would be under contract and have no leverage at all. He would have to report to the team or be fined $5,000 a day and the team would not have to negotiate again until next year. Would you sign after the team has shown no inclination to pay you what you are worth and giving you the runaround for the whole off season???

Paul Mad ScotPZ said:

He has done the biz on the field, and he is not under contract. He's a restricted free agent, which means he is not under contract, but he can't negotiate with any other team. The $1.8 million tender Miami has given him is a slap in the face for what he has done. What could have been a 5 year, $25 million deal last offseason has now become a deal that will be 6 years and at least $42 million with a hefty signing bonus.

Merman said:

I have no shame, I want the team to make out like bandits as far as getting a bang for their buck. It's strictly business and I'm definately on Miami's side.

Wale could be playing right now if he would accept a two tiered sb, just like Chambers.

O-Gun deserves a hefty contract, but by complaining and bad mouthing the Dolphins he expected to get his way (like a bratty child). The 1.84 million tender was about 1.4 million more than Chambers would have made this year. The he threatend the Fins "Pay me or else", hopefully for the Fins and Wale he gets his contract, but if he dosen't, it's his fault. He has an offer on the table. Does anyone know how much it is?

Hear is the sticking point......sign the long term deal that was offered, or don't play, and get franchised again next year. You lose Wale.

Salary Cap Breakdown

Hey!

(Palm Beach Post)
Chris Chambers
-5 years, $30 million
-$12 million in signing and roster bonuses
-$5.5 million to sign
-$5 million roster bonus due in March
-A 2004 contract that will pay $6.9 million (not bad when he was due about $450,000)
-A deal that exceeds those given to the likes of Peerless Price, Laverneus Coles, Steve Smith, Darrell Jackson and Chad Johnson

1. Does anyone know the EXACT cap hit for this year?
BTW, I like the way the FO front loaded his contract. BYE BYE RICKY. Thanks for the CAP MOOLA!

2. How much cap does this leave us with? (Wondering how this affects a possible deal with Ogun... considering we're also pondering the signing of Kendall, as well.

inFINSible said:
I have no shame, I want the team to make out like bandits as far as getting a bang for their buck. It's strictly business and I'm definately on Miami's side.

Wale could be playing right now if he would accept a two tiered sb, just like Chambers.

The team made out better than bandits and got greatness for their pennies. So be happy.

As for being under contract if he accepted a two tier bonus, you don't know that at all.

A signing bonus is guaranteed and we don't know how the second tier of the bonus money is set up right now. If not guaranteed and the player gets hurt the future bonus is zero. You may not care but someone who has been dealing in good faith for a couple of years probably doesn't want to accept any foolishness now.

Merman said:
The team made out better than bandits and got greatness for their pennies. So be happy.

As for being under contract if he accepted a two tier bonus, you don't know that at all.

A signing bonus is guaranteed and we don't know how the second tier of the bonus money is set up right now. If not guaranteed and the player gets hurt the future bonus is zero. You may not care but someone who has been dealing in good faith for a couple of years probably doesn't want to accept any foolishness now.
Miami has to protect itself as much as Wale has to try and get what he can. I have no problem with them not guaranteeing the second tier. Basically all he has to do is not have a career ending injury and he'll get all his money.

Back
Top Bottom