Great statement by the Herald..... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great statement by the Herald.....

Wally should've signed his tender and gone to camp. He can still renegoiate his deal to get a long term deal during training camp. He's only hurting himself right now. He's only going to make around 300K this year and he's only going to play 6 games. If he gets hurt because he's out of shape or doesn't produce than I dont see any team offering the kind of money that Miami is offering right now. The deal is suppose to be around Wistroms, Bulger, and Kearse money with the signing bonus a 2 tier bonus. Chambers accepted a 2 tier bonus and it doesn't mean you aren't going to see your money. Miami is just protecting itself. Everyone on this board and in the NFL would say how stupid Miami is if they gave a big bonus to a guy that hadpast knee problems. JT signed his tender and played through it and Miami rewarded him the next year.

Kistner10 said:
Wally should've signed his tender and gone to camp. He can still renegoiate his deal to get a long term deal during training camp. He's only hurting himself right now. He's only going to make around 300K this year and he's only going to play 6 games. If he gets hurt because he's out of shape or doesn't produce than I dont see any team offering the kind of money that Miami is offering right now. The deal is suppose to be around Wistroms, Bulger, and Kearse money with the signing bonus a 2 tier bonus. Chambers accepted a 2 tier bonus and it doesn't mean you aren't going to see your money. Miami is just protecting itself. Everyone on this board and in the NFL would say how stupid Miami is if they gave a big bonus to a guy that hadpast knee problems. JT signed his tender and played through it and Miami rewarded him the next year.

excatly...to be honest, i am REALLY shocked about the way this situation turned out with wale...this is REALLY going to hurt him, alot. if he signed the tender, he would get alot more money than he was or is due to make plus have the ability to resign a new contract. and on top of all that, he could play and show what he was worth. what now? he is going to make **** money (for NFL standards) not see any playtime and get a bad rep next season where his contract wont be 1/3rd as big as he wants it to be

This whole thing with Ogun is the reason that I love the game but hate the business side of it.

Kistner10 said:
. He's only going to make around 300K this year and he's only going to play 6 games.
Not even, it's more like 155K. It's 110% of 375K diivided by 16 (number of games), then multiplied by the number of games he plays (I chose 6). Crying like a little girl gets you nowhere in a man's game. Look at Orlando Pace. It's Wale's loss, no he will get franchised again next season. :roflmao:

BALLS DEEP said:
Dude, I think your either Rosenhaus or your stalking him.

Dude you don't even have a clue even after being informed. You must be Dan Quayle or at least the Quayle of football.

inFINSible said:
How are we taking advantage if technically he's not even supposed to get more than the 1.8 million tender for this year?

That is absolutely not true. All that has to be paid is the minimum for his years of service which is $455k. There is no maximum that a player can be paid he just has to fit under the salary cap. Example Peyton Manning. The $1.824 million tender was for the team's benefit so another club could not sign Wale without compensation of a first and third round draft pick. The required tender is now $705k to keep his exclusive negotiating rights. Now if it were true that the $1.824 million is the maximum why are the Dolphins negotiating a long term deal. The reason is that the player is finally fed up and is willing to hold out for the season. That is the only leverage he has. Considering his performance it is quite a bit as evidenced by the team negotiating a long term deal.

inFINSible said:
Instead of that, we're saying we'll give you 7 mill now and we'll give you another 5 mill next year. (or however the breakdown goes)

I don't see that as taking advantage. I see that as compromise.

We don't know the breakdown so we don't know for sure if this point is trying to taking advantage of Wale again. My point was that he was taken advantage of, with every right the team had, but they have also given him the runaround again this year. The point was that Ogunleye is probably tired of this and wants the team to bend his way for once and for some good faith towards him for a change.

I have never said whether this is right or wrong. It is the way it is. I have said it is poor management to give a star player the runaround with his compensation and will continue to say that. This is not an Orlando Pace situation where the agent is giving the team a ransom note.

There have been problems this off season but Spielman has let this go on for too long. Training camp is here and the reports are no negotiations until the team returns from Houston.

Merman said:
That is absolutely not true. All that has to be paid is the minimum for his years of service which is $455k. There is no maximum that a player can be paid he just has to fit under the salary cap. Example Peyton Manning. The $1.824 million tender was for the team's benefit so another club could not sign Wale without compensation of a first and third round draft pick. The required tender is now $705k to keep his exclusive negotiating rights. Now if it were true that the $1.824 million is the maximum why are the Dolphins negotiating a long term deal. The reason is that the player is finally fed up and is willing to hold out for the season. That is the only leverage he has. Considering his performance it is quite a bit as evidenced by the team negotiating a long term deal.

We don't know the breakdown so we don't know for sure if this point is trying to taking advantage of Wale again. My point was that he was taken advantage of, with every right the team had, but they have also given him the runaround again this year. The point was that Ogunleye is probably tired of this and wants the team to bend his way for once and for some good faith towards him for a change.

I have never said whether this is right or wrong. It is the way it is. I have said it is poor management to give a star player the runaround with his compensation and will continue to say that. This is not an Orlando Pace situation where the agent is giving the team a ransom note.

There have been problems this off season but Spielman has let this go on for too long. Training camp is here and the reports are no negotiations until the team returns from Houston.
We don't HAVE TO offer him ANY more than that tender. WE ARE negotiating to give him more. I still don't see the runaround.

If we dug our heals and said play for the tender or sit, then I could see your point but, that's not the case.

We ARE offering him the money he's just not taking it.

inFINSible said:
We don't HAVE TO offer him ANY more than that tender. WE ARE negotiating to give him more. I still don't see the runaround.

If we dug our heals and said play for the tender or sit, then I could see your point but, that's not the case.

We ARE offering him the money he's just not taking it.

The Dolphins have just recently started negotiating. You don't remember that most of the off season the team just didn't negotiate???

The only reason the team is offering more than the required tender is that Wale dug in his heels.

Now the team is offering money but they haven't negotiated in at least two weeks.

BlitPhinFan said:
How is Ogunleye not under contract. He is in the final year of his contract. He is holding out this year for more money. A hold out, RFA and UFA are completely different. He IS under contract.
OGun is not under contract. He is a RFA and has a tender offered. That does not mean he is under contract. He had to put his name on the dotted line first.

If OGun were under contract the Miami could fine him for everyday he missed.

They are not fining him.

inFINSible said:
I remember O-Gun crying last year too. You know, back when he was under contract.
Nope. He was a exclusive FA. That means he was not under contract, but only could talk with Miami. He had no options other than sitting out.

Paul Mad ScotPZ said:
Ok fair point but HE did sign the contract so he knew what he was palying for. I for one tend to think that people should honour the contract they happily signed and wait to renegotiate. If you do the biz on the field you will get paid . Its as simple as that.
OGun honored his contract last year. It was a one year deal. It expired in Feb.

Do not get me started on players honoring their deals when they out play them.

Dolfan73 said:
I don't see how he has good character, being that he's been complaining about money for the last two years. IMO if he would have showed up to camp and done everything he was SUPPOSED to do.
He should complain about money. NFL football is a pay me my worth today business. If OGun was not worth his deal then Miami would simply cut him and OGun is now out of his contract. So players want to be paid market value when they have the chance.

I just wonder how much of this is about Rosenhaus at this point. Both from his side of his ego and trying to live up to the super-agent reputation he's gotten since the McGahee draft, and from Miami's side showing that he can't push them around and putting him in his place. Makes you wonder if Wale's best interests are being served or if he's a pawn in a pi$$ing match.

I agree that Chambers got his deal done because of the way he has carried himself on and off the field. I also agree that Wale has not got his deal done for the same reasons. Man, he pulled the "I'll hold out if I have to" card way too early.

A key point that I haven't seen made yet: Jason Taylor was in this EXACT position... he took the 1-year tender, showed up in the off season, played his butt off all year, and got paid bigtime because of it.

If you all remember, it was the year after Trace left. Basically, everyone said, well, you had a good year because you were opposite Trace... now do it again and we'll pay you. (Sound familiar?) He did, no questions asked, no BS, and they rewarded him.

C'mon Wale... get to work!

Kistner10 said:
JT signed his tender and played through it and Miami rewarded him the next year.

Oooooops... I guess that point was already made. Apparently, I can't read. Need... more... coffee...

Back
Top Bottom