Hasn't Jay Fiedler look sharp in all the past Mini-Camps? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hasn't Jay Fiedler look sharp in all the past Mini-Camps?

juniorseau55

Go Fins
Reaction score
I mean people are talking about that Fiedler is throwing marino kind of passes in mini-camp for the past couple of years. Fiedler has ran the offense smoothly in Mini-Camp. Fiedler this and that in mini-camp.

Guess what, thats the only place that he will look sharp,in mini-camp because as the season unfolds and we wait to see the travesty behind the woobler passer, we then follow to chat how much he sucks but during the off-season he was plays like a madman and starts connecting passes.
I mean I just don't get it, he does great in Mini-camp and in practice but when the game comes he throws multiple wobblers and weak passes that my 5 year old nephew can make.

Fiedler reminds me of Jeff George but in an opposite way. George had a million dollar arm but a 1 cent head. I'm sure both of these guys need to exchange their attributes.

Yeah, Jay Fiedler has a legitimate chance to be a 5 year NFL starting QB if he plays well. That's pretty damn good. I imagine that it's farther than 99% of his detractors will get in their chosen field. The man is no Dan Marino, but he's no Ryan Leaf either.

OK, I do think it's unfair to compare Fielder and Leaf because Leaf never did anything remotely good, but I'm much more in support of the side that thinks Jay has had his shot, its time to move on. It's the same story every year, Jay feels the pressure to win the role of our starting QB. He comes out, has a great mini-camp/preseason, the ends up crapping out on us during the season. And your right Jimmy James, the reason he does win the starting QB job is for what he does in mini-camps. But performing in mini-camp and performing in the regular season is two completely different things. For the past years that Fiedler has been our starter, none of his success in camp has translated to the season, and that's the cold hard truth. If he could keep it up during the season and wasn't making costly mistakes then he would feel a lot less heat, but it never goes that way...and it looks like it never will. His time has passed, let someone else (Feely) have a shot...

Hasn't Fiedler been outplayed in two of the four mini-camps? Weren't fans claiming that Damon Huard and Ray Lucas looked better than Fiedler?

I think the answer to the thread title is ...no

None of the success? This team has gone 11-5, 11-5, 9-7, and 10-6 under his watch. I think you could make an argument that we'd be looking at straight 11-5 finishes if not for the play of Lucas and Griese, though I do understand that the Griese thing is very controversial.

I'm all for Feeley getting a shot, and the truth is that I hope he beats Fiedler out because it can only mean that he'll improve the play we have gotten at the position. I'm a Miami Dolphins fan, not just a Jay Fiedler fan. The truth is that he has to beat Jay out to get the shot at the beginning of the season. I think the coaches know how Jay looks in camp, and it will be a consideration. AJ still has to bring it hard. He is not entitled to any sort of assumption that he's the better guy for the job just because he hasn't had it the past 4 years...

Fiedler had the worst 4th quarter passer rating in the entire league. In crunch time, forget it. The game at N.E. last year summed up Fiedler perfectly. We're inside our own 10, the weather is bad, you are away from home against a fierce division rival, with the division and playoffs on the line. Jay Fiedler is your QB, and you have no chance. This guy ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY cannot be our QB next year. Anybody but him.

How does the game at NE sum anything up when our schedule features no cold weather games against division foes this year? :confused:

Choosing such an ugly game all the way around as the reason we can't possibly stand another year with JF at the helm even if he's the best option just exposes how little fact there is to support it. We're in a position where we don't need Dan Marino -- we need a caretaker no matter what his name is. Does Jay fit that role perfectly? No. Even still, he does it adequately enough if he's the best we have after open competition between Jay and AJ.

juniorsea55 is right. The past 3 years now, maybe every year after Jay's first year, we've heard all about how sharp Jay looks when mini-camps first start. I don't think its that he just plays better in camp than he does in games, its just that when he knows the offense, as he does now, he runs the offense a lot like he does during the regular season right from the get-go...not much drop-off. Other guys are still just getting warmed up and Jay is already at full speed. Problem is, as far as top speed goes, you want your QB to be better than Jay has been during the regular season.

Jay has had his shot for four years. Its time to step aside. I like how only now he's taking this seriously and knuckling down in the offseason program. When you have an arm like Fiedler's you need to be going that extra mile every offseason. Only in offseason prior to 2001 did Jay really knuckle down like he's doing right now, and that was just after the Dolphins attempted to trade for Matt Hasselbeck, and nearly drafted Drew Brees...so I guess its safe to say Jay took that message to heart. Now, we traded a 2nd for Feeley, so its safe to say Jay took this message to heart. Too little, too late, if you ask me.

Jimmy James said:
How does the game at NE sum anything up when our schedule features no cold weather games against division foes this year? :confused:

Choosing such an ugly game all the way around as the reason we can't possibly stand another year with JF at the helm even if he's the best option just exposes how little fact there is to support it. We're in a position where we don't need Dan Marino -- we need a caretaker no matter what his name is. Does Jay fit that role perfectly? No. Even still, he does it adequately enough if he's the best we have after open competition between Jay and AJ.

JJ, what I'm saying is that when we absolutely need something from Jay, he doesn't get it done. Not only that N.E. game, but the one the year before as well. Surely you remember the collapse against N.E. that year. No, Jay was not solely at fault for the debacle, but he could have delivered us from it, something a QB must do from time to time. He is incapable.

Like others, I admire Jay for his toughness and heart. But the biggest problem is that other teams do not respect him at all. He is the reason they stack Ricky, and they will keep on stacking Ricky until Fiedler beats them time after time, which won't happen. Teams know Jay can't beat them deep, and therefore the Dolphins play on a short field. I realize the Jay topic has been beaten to death. But the fact that he could again be our starter is ridiculous.

If Jay is our starter again, the silver lining is that it would be the final nail in DW's coffin.

ck,

Don't the propositions in your first and second paragraphs contradict each other? If Jay has looked great the past 3 offseasons, how is it that he only knuckled down in 2001 and this year? Are you suggesting that Jay knucking down doesn't do anything to influence his performance? If that is the case, why should we care how hard he knuckles down?

It really surprises me that Jay can make a statement like tons of other players make, yet he's the guy who gets called on the carpet for it. I like that Jay is putting in his all, and I hope we all would. No matter what the result is, it has to be better for the team than him saying, "screw it, I'll give 80%".

phinman1 said:
JJ, what I'm saying is that when we absolutely need something from Jay, he doesn't get it done. Not only that N.E. game, but the one the year before as well. Surely you remember the collapse against N.E. that year. No, Jay was not solely at fault for the debacle, but he could have delivered us from it, something a QB must do from time to time. He is incapable.

You don't want to get me started on week 17 of 2002. I blame one or two men for that: Norv and DW if DW influenced Norv to play it that way. What did you want Jay to do? Override all of those runs that ruined things for us? Norv needs to learn that you can't run until the other team forces you into a situation where you can't run anymore, so you have to pass.

Like others, I admire Jay for his toughness and heart. But the biggest problem is that other teams do not respect him at all. He is the reason they stack Ricky, and they will keep on stacking Ricky until Fiedler beats them time after time, which won't happen.

Did teams just start their disrespect of Jay in 2003? I don't buy that at all. Look to the OLine. If it is fixed, teams will look like the respect Jay a lot more than it looked like they did last year.

Teams know Jay can't beat them deep, and therefore the Dolphins play on a short field. I realize the Jay topic has been beaten to death. But the fact that he could again be our starter is ridiculous.

Who do you want to see with the job? AJ is unproven. All the other names that have been mentioned appear to be worse than Jay or have serious injury issues. We didn't have the ammo to move up for one of the top 3 QB, and Losman is a 2 or 3 year project by most accounts. Drew Henson is a 1 or 2 year project by most accounts.

If Jay is our starter again, the silver lining is that it would be the final nail in DW's coffin.

You're kidding yourself. Jay is very capable of taking this team to the division round of the playoffs. How do you fire a coach if he has 52 wins and 3 playoff appearances in 5 years? I buy that DW holds this team back more than I buy that JF does, but I think it could be tough for WH to pull the trigger on that firing if this team makes the playoffs.

"Practice?....What are we talking about practice?.... I mean really practice?... I know I need to be a leader out there but what are we talking about? practice? Cmon I mean practice? Not the game. Not the game I give everything for, but practice? Practice??"
-Iverson
Perhaps Jay has the opposite attitude. "Game? What are we talking about? The Game? No practice that I give everthing for, but a Game??" :roflmao:

Just so glad I got to use that AI quote. It was killer. :D

Back
Top Bottom