Hasn't Jay Fiedler look sharp in all the past Mini-Camps? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hasn't Jay Fiedler look sharp in all the past Mini-Camps?

If Jay has looked great the past 3 offseasons, how is it that he only knuckled down in 2001 and this year?

I'm speaking specifically of the offseason conditioning program, which has little to do with tossing a few pigskins in mini-camp and everything to do with committment to getting in shape, adding bulk, getting chemistry together with teammates, etc. Reports said that Jay is getting really serious and working feverishly to get in good shape and everything and he's really committed to trying to beat out Feeley in camp and preseason. This is very similar to what we heard in 2001, when Fiedler added bulk in the wake of his 2000 season when he suffered a torn rotator cuff, two separated shoulders, and hip problems...plus the fact that the Phins came close to replacing him twice during the offseason. Fiedler made it through the full season without injuries, something he's not been able to do in any other year.

It bodes well if Feeley takes an injury in camp and Fiedler is forced to start the whole year because given Fiedler's level of committment to the offseason conditioning program he could probably make it without getting injured...however, like I said, too little too late and right now we just have to kind of be in that mode of hoping Feeley (or Sage) is a really good QB waiting to bust out...not going through the ups and downs with Jay Fiedler anymore.

That does make a lot more sense, though I still don't like busting Jay for behavior that is all too common in the NFL.

Do not forget...

its only a mini-camp. They all look good. It still does not take from the fact he cant throw over 25 yards accurately under pressure. He never has the endurance or durability to finish a season.

JJ, first off, I respect your opinion, just don't agree.

1. As for the N.E. debacle of 02, no Jay was not solely at fault. However, the coaching staff had no faith in him in crunch time, further dooming the cause. They were horrified at the prospect of Jay putting it up, and rightfully so. That attitude towards our starting QB contributed to the gag.

2. In 03, after seeing Jay for several years as our starter, teams finally got the picture. The guy is helpless throwing the deep ball. So they stacked. Our O-line didn't help, but again, nobody respects Jay.

3. If it was up to me, AJ would be the starter. And if he falls on his face, then Sage. Anybody but Jay. His time is done.

4. Sticking with Jay has gotten DW nothing but heat. Sticking with him further will lead him to a defensive coordinator position somewhere.

How can we blame Jay for the coaches making bad decisions based on fear? I don't buy it at all, and I say good riddance to Norv. If Dave pulls the same crap through the new guy, I'll say good riddance to both of them as well. I'm not going to accept Norv's assessment when Chan got superior results by trusting the guy instead of constantly lamenting that Jay doesn't have Troy Aikman's or Brad Johnson's arm.

We'll see about the OL this year if Jay ends up as starter.

Are you really saying that you'd rather be 6-10 with AJ and Sage than 10-6 with Jay if that's what getting rid of Jay means?

Again, we'll see about it if Jay ends up as starter.

Chambers did drop a pass in the New England game that would of been 2nd and 2.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Why doesn't the NE game in Miami last year sum up Fiedler? or the Philly game? Wash? Dallas?

I see your point. But I am looking at the big picture. A Super Bowl team has a QB that can take his team to victory when everything is on the line in tough circumstances. Yes, Jay can lead us to victory against mediocre teams like Dallas and Washington. But against N.E. on the road, or on the road in a playoff game, he can't get it done. We can argue about this til we are blue in the face. Time will tell. Let's just hope AJ steps it up. I believe he will and all this Jay talk will be moot.

phinman1 said:
Fiedler had the worst 4th quarter passer rating in the entire league. In crunch time, forget it. The game at N.E. last year summed up Fiedler perfectly. We're inside our own 10, the weather is bad, you are away from home against a fierce division rival, with the division and playoffs on the line. Jay Fiedler is your QB, and you have no chance. This guy ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY cannot be our QB next year. Anybody but him.

Fiedler has won some games for us in crunch time, lets not be biased here.

(Raiders,Redskins) to name a few off the top

DolFinatic718 said:
Fiedler has won some games for us in crunch time, lets not be biased here.

(Raiders,Redskins) to name a few off the top

Finatic, when we beat the Raiders, that year we didn't even make the playoffs. As for the skins, yeah, Jay got us past one of the worst teams in the league at home. After the Raiders, we lost to Minn and N.E. Those two games were "crunch time", because if we won them, we would have been in the playoffs. They were games away from home in hostile environments.

As for being biased, I pulled for Jay all the way, thinking he could get it done. I finally saw the light last year in Foxboro.

I doubt anybody could see the light in that weather. :tongue:

Now you want to blame Jay for Cris Carter's sudden hands of stone?

phinman1 said:
Finatic, when we beat the Raiders, that year we didn't even make the playoffs. As for the skins, yeah, Jay got us past one of the worst teams in the league at home. After the Raiders, we lost to Minn and N.E. Those two games were "crunch time", because if we won them, we would have been in the playoffs. They were games away from home in hostile environments.

As for being biased, I pulled for Jay all the way, thinking he could get it done. I finally saw the light last year in Foxboro.

Unfortunately you are blaming Jay for losses even when he plays well (or at least not giving him credit).

The NE and Philly games last year are prime examples. There are examples every year.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Unfortunately you are blaming Jay for losses even when he plays well (or at least not giving him credit).

The NE and Philly games last year are prime examples. There are examples every year.

Wow, didn't expect so many Jay defenders. Anyway, finfan, can Jay play well? Yes. Can he beat a playoff team, on the road, in hostile conditions? No. Look, let's not get to analytical. Let's get to the question that defines quarterbacks. The question is: Has Fiedler ever won a game on the road against a playoff quality team in crunch time? Crunch time being defined as the opportunity to clinch a playoff spot?

That measure is a bad measure for any QB with this Miami team because of the well documented December slumps. You're requiring that Jay have a win against a high quality opponent in December, which is exactly when our D runs out of gas and gives us debacles like that Eagles game last year.

Jimmy James said:
That measure is a bad measure for any QB with this Miami team because of the well documented December slumps. You're requiring that Jay have a win against a high quality opponent in December, which is exactly when our D runs out of gas and gives us debacles like that Eagles game last year.

You can argue the defense runs out of gas due to the fact they have to make up for a lot of Fielder's mistakes.

You can also argue that a starting quarterback should be able to step up his game when the defense isn't playing as well.

Back
Top Bottom