Hasn't Jay Fiedler look sharp in all the past Mini-Camps? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hasn't Jay Fiedler look sharp in all the past Mini-Camps?

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
The GM signed AJ Feeley.

And the coach is evaluating the three QBs and will select a starter before Sept.

Just because Jay doesn't deserve all of the blame, doesn't mean the QB position can't be improved on.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
The GM signed AJ Feeley.

I agree. This was done because the past two years make it clear that you need 2 QBs who could start who also know the offense. I agree that there is a chance that AJ may outperform Jay. If he does, get that man behind center.

The GM also restructured Jay's deal so he could stay around. :)

Jimmy James said:
How is 10-6 a decline over 9-7?

I look at it this way: Went to playoffs and won one in 00; went to playoffs and lost right away in 01; eliminated in last week of season in 02; eliminated in next to last week in 03. We have declined in relation to the playoff teams in the AFC each and every year.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
And the coach is evaluating the three QBs and will select a starter before Sept.

Just because Jay doesn't deserve all of the blame, doesn't mean the QB position can't be improved on.

Jay doesn't deserve all of the blame. He does deserve a lot of it.

Jimmy James said:
None of the success? This team has gone 11-5, 11-5, 9-7, and 10-6 under his watch. I think you could make an argument that we'd be looking at straight 11-5 finishes if not for the play of Lucas and Griese, though I do understand that the Griese thing is very controversial.

I'm all for Feeley getting a shot, and the truth is that I hope he beats Fiedler out because it can only mean that he'll improve the play we have gotten at the position. I'm a Miami Dolphins fan, not just a Jay Fiedler fan. The truth is that he has to beat Jay out to get the shot at the beginning of the season. I think the coaches know how Jay looks in camp, and it will be a consideration. AJ still has to bring it hard. He is not entitled to any sort of assumption that he's the better guy for the job just because he hasn't had it the past 4 years...

There are only a few wins which Fiedler played a large part. He is very inconsistent and consistency is a must at the quarterback position.

juniorseau55 said:
There are only a few wins which Fiedler played a large part. He is very inconsistent and consistency is a must at the quarterback position.

Agreed. But that is due to more than just Fiedler's play. The OL and WR struggles contribute.

Having said that, the FO is clearly not satisfied with the play of the QB or the offense in general. They are also not ready to completely give up on him either. You correctly point out that he is inconsistent. That implies that he has games where he plays well. It is that fact that keeps the coaching staff and FO hoping that he can put it all together. In case he can't, they are bringing in alternatives.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Jay doesn't deserve all of the blame. He does deserve a lot of it.

The exact amount of blame he deserves is opinion and it is unlikely that discussions on this board will change anyone's mind.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
The exact amount of blame he deserves is opinion and it is unlikely that discussions on this board will change anyone's mind.

minus statistics, everything on this message board is opinion.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
minus statistics, everything on this message board is opinion.

Except when people state things like "the team has never beaten a playoff quality team with Jay at QB."

Some statements on this board are just plain false.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Except when people state things like "the team has never beaten a playoff quality team with Jay at QB."

that is true, but if you look at the stats, they are not very good against playoff quality teams.

This team does need better play on offense. One of the places they need to improve on is the QB.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
This team does need better play on offense. One of the places they need to improve on is the QB.

No argument here. I am just objective enough that I don't care if Fiedler is the QB that improves.

FinfanInBuffalo said:

If you are referring to me, quote me correctly at least. I stated that Jay has never beaten a playoff quality team on the road in crunch time.

phinman1 said:
Fiedler had the worst 4th quarter passer rating in the entire league. In crunch time, forget it. The game at N.E. last year summed up Fiedler perfectly. We're inside our own 10, the weather is bad, you are away from home against a fierce division rival, with the division and playoffs on the line. Jay Fiedler is your QB, and you have no chance. This guy ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY cannot be our QB next year. Anybody but him.

Jay has had some good moments as well as bad...how about the come-back he led against Denver on Monday night the season before last? Or the fourth quarter touchdown against the Raiders that same season (beating ex-Fin Trace Armstrong)? Or the way he rallied us against the Skins last season? I don't know about you, but I was screaming my lungs out during that Broncs game, he made some gutsy plays on the road to lead a come-back victory, with a broken thumb.

The problem is he has not been able to do it consistently, he doesn't have the physical gifts (aside from scrambling ability), and opposing D's have no respect for him...they have dared him to beat them and he hasn't been able to (whether due to bad OL or not). I don't think Feeley needs to clearly beat him, I think if it is a tie you go with Feeley. Fiedler has not been all bad, but he has not been good enough, and we need a change

phinman1 said:
If you are referring to me, quote me correctly at least. I stated that Jay has never beaten a playoff quality team on the road in crunch time.

I wasn't referring to you.

I'd also like to say that this has been one of the most refreshing discussions, on a topic that obviously polarizes people, that I have had since I've been visiting this site.

Sincere thanks to those that have participated.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
No argument here. I am just objective enough that I don't care if Fiedler is the QB that improves.

I don't care if Fiedler is the QB that improves. I still as of this moment, hate the guy.

Back
Top Bottom