Hasn't Jay Fiedler look sharp in all the past Mini-Camps? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hasn't Jay Fiedler look sharp in all the past Mini-Camps?

FinfanInBuffalo said:
No argument here. I am just objective enough that I don't care if Fiedler is the QB that improves.

To me, it's not this at all. I don't hold much hope that Fiedler will improve.

What I am obsessed with is not taking a step backward at QB. Jay was enough to get us to the division round of the playoffs with Lamar Smith. With the skill position players we have on this team, he can take this team to the Super Bowl in spite of his limitations. It's not pretty, but it's possible. Look to Baltimore and Trent Dilfer. I also know that Jay is the prototypical backup QB who will do the team proud in two or three games if AJ does become the starter and then gets hurt.

Is Jay the ideal even for a caretaker QB? No. Will he do in a pinch? Absolutely.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I wasn't referring to you.

I'd also like to say that this has been one of the most refreshing discussions, on a topic that obviously polarizes people, that I have had since I've been visiting this site.

Sincere thanks to those that have participated.

Cool. Anyway finfan, you said that Miami beat N.E. on the road to get to the playoffs in 2000. True. But my question was name a "playoff quality team". Don't believe N.E. made the playoffs in 2000. Did they?

phinman1 said:
Cool. Anyway finfan, you said that Miami beat N.E. on the road to get to the playoffs in 2000. True. But my question was name a "playoff quality team". Don't believe N.E. made the playoffs in 2000. Did they?

No they didn't, and actually their record was worse than I thought. They did win the SB the following year thought, so they must have been good at the end of the year in 2000 :D

phinman1 said:
Fiedler had the worst 4th quarter passer rating in the entire league. In crunch time, forget it. The game at N.E. last year summed up Fiedler perfectly. We're inside our own 10, the weather is bad, you are away from home against a fierce division rival, with the division and playoffs on the line. Jay Fiedler is your QB, and you have no chance. This guy ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY cannot be our QB next year. Anybody but him.

Randy McMichael missed his blitz pickup on the biggest play of that game. I'll admit Fiedler did nothing to win that football game but to blame Jay for the entire game when our TE missed his assignment on a 3rd and 2 from the NE 12 when the game was 3-0 Pats is foolish. It seems like there are certain "fan favorites" on this team that nobody likes to blame for anything. The fact is that Randy McMichael was talking **** all week about how he was going to smoke Rodney Harrison and not only did he fail to make a catch in the ballgame he missed a critical block on Harrison in crunch time. Rumor has it Rob Konrad was wide open in the flat on that play. McMicheal picks up the blitz and Miami scores 7. For the record even the great Tom Brady could only muster 3 points in those conditions. The sad thing about the Dolphins QB situation is it's all just talk. I'm 10000000000% confident that Fiedler will beat out Feeley and felt this way since the day we signed AJ Feeley.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Agreed. But that is due to more than just Fiedler's play. The OL and WR struggles contribute.

Having said that, the FO is clearly not satisfied with the play of the QB or the offense in general. They are also not ready to completely give up on him either. You correctly point out that he is inconsistent. That implies that he has games where he plays well. It is that fact that keeps the coaching staff and FO hoping that he can put it all together. In case he can't, they are bringing in alternatives.

Thats a good point which brings me to another point that there aren't many hard workers in this team that really have a strong passion for the game. I think Fiedler goes out there and practices as if it was his last day living. As Fiedler has been incosistent and so has his teamates around him. We need him as a back-up and we need him to redeem himself once again when the time comes to see where he stands as a fin. I think Jay Fiedler will be remember among the fins forever due to the controversy that he has gained through his failures.

Jimmy James said:
To me, it's not this at all. I don't hold much hope that Fiedler will improve.

What I am obsessed with is not taking a step backward at QB. Jay was enough to get us to the division round of the playoffs with Lamar Smith. With the skill position players we have on this team, he can take this team to the Super Bowl in spite of his limitations. It's not pretty, but it's possible. Look to Baltimore and Trent Dilfer. I also know that Jay is the prototypical backup QB who will do the team proud in two or three games if AJ does become the starter and then gets hurt.

Is Jay the ideal even for a caretaker QB? No. Will he do in a pinch? Absolutely.

I have to agree with James there, I bash Fiedler a lot but you have to think twice. We do have superstars in our team but do they give it they all when it matters. Is chambers as consistent as we need him to be? Is he getting open and causing separation between him and the defensive back? Is he doing the right things that other pro receivers do?

You have to ask the question about the O-line play as well. Our line was considerer to be good in 2003 but as we filled a different type of passer that couldn't move in the pocket, our pass pressure was exposed.

Is our quarterback getting the support he needs? No he isn't.

AJ is the perfect year for his learn curve. Smooth transitional guy- he has the west coast down, and a better rb and D than he had in philly. His O line leaves some to be seen but the preseason isn't over, Oakland's super deep there, and Wike In NFLE and either Collins or Middleton who are start quality may be released. Two Start Quality G there...

Back
Top Bottom