Herald: Growing belief fins trade up to get Martin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herald: Growing belief fins trade up to get Martin

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
As it currently stands, Hickey and the Dolphins will go on the clock some time in the 10 p.m. hour. The problem: the elite players will have been off the board by then, and much of the second tier will probably be gone, too.

That’s why there’s a growing belief in league circles that the Dolphins will package a deal and go get someone they truly like Thursday night. And that player is probably versatile Notre Dame lineman Zack Martin.

The Dolphins, historically bad in pass protection a year ago, covet four offensive tackles – Martin, Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan.

Miami’s dream scenario is Martin falling to No. 19. If so, he would be the Dolphins’ starting left guard if the oft-injured Jason Fox (a free agent acquisition this offseason) can hold up physically, and their right tackle if he cannot.

But draft expert Mel Kiper, like most, expects the top tackles to get plucked up long before the Dolphins pick.

The conventional wisdom has been that in that scenario, the Dolphins trade back and target Ja’Wuan James or Morgan Moses. And that could still happen.

But at the 11th hour Wednesday, there were renewed signs that, should the draft fall right, Hickey will go get Martin if he’s available.

The sense in league circles Wednesday was that, with the top quarterbacks expected to slide, several teams will try to move up in the draft to get wide receivers and offensive linemen. The Dolphins are believed to be one of those teams. A jump into the top 10 would presumably require giving up a second-round pick in arguably the best draft in a decade.

Is Hickey the type of GM to make such a costly trade? We simply don’t know.

Hickey, always guarded with the media, perhaps intentionally planted a seed last week, saying: “I always want more picks.”

The only way to get those additional selections is to trade down.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/07/4103813/options-abound-for-miami-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy

I hope they don't give up a second round pick. No way.

I strongly doubt that we try to trade up. There will be lots of good players available when we pick at #19 and we need all our Draft picks. Higher probability that we try to trade down than trade up.
Also remember this is Hickey's first pick. He's not going to bet the farm trading up like his predecessor.

Hey you want to draft a lineman in the first, go for it, not sure how I feel about giving up an extra pick to get that done though...

A first and a second for a lineman. He better be the best lineman in the draft.

I would hate this move, for a guy I don't even believe merits a #19 pick.

If we're locked in on OL in round one and Martin is gone, Su'a Filo would be much better. But I still think we'd be making a mistake.

Wait a minute...they are thinking of moving up for Martin? Ok. But they want him at guard first? WTF?

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Btw I think Martin is a guard, but that is why I do not think much of moving up for him. I say it is smoke...or hope.

Only way I wouldn't be pissed about trading up would be if the phins got a crazy good deal because everyone wants to trade down.

I would hate this move, for a guy I don't even believe merits a #19 pick.

If we're locked in on OL in round one and Martin is gone, Su'a Filo would be much better. But I still think we'd be making a mistake.
I actually like the move. Martin is the best OG in this draft. One of the safest prospect in the first round draft.

You don't cough up a 2nd round pick for a guard.

Trade up for Matthews? I could live with that. Lewan? Sure. Not a guy you'd play at guard.

Beasley ****s **** up this time anyways.

only way i see a trade up being a good idea is if we use a roster player to do it, this draft is too deep for giving up picks

I doubt we move up. If we move up, I have a feeling it's for either Calvin Pryor or Odell Beckham, Jr.

Back
Top Bottom