Honest Question: Would we have won with Ajayi? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Honest Question: Would we have won with Ajayi?

Probably would not have fumbled the ball plus the threat of a real running game would have opened up the offense for more long passes. We have lost 3 things with the Ajayi trade, the run, the long pass and the defense on the field longer. That usually spells a loss

Long passes? We had Ajayi for the first 7 games and certainly haven't thrown many long passes. You're just making stuff up. Drake and Williams combined for more than Ajayi's rushing average (Ajayi averaged a whopping 66 yards/game in the first 7 with us, Williams/Drake combined for 83 on the ground against OAK), and added a dimension to the passing game that had been missing previously (Williams/Drake combined for 82 yards through the air, more than the 67 receiving yards Ajayi has total on the SEASON).

Drake alone bested Ajayi's averages in both rushing and receiving, not to mention the contributions from Williams.

Ajayi might have had one of his random "go off" games, which would have, of course, made a difference, but as a season average goes, we did better without him.

Last edited:
Who knows but he took a 46 yarder to the house yesterday. Finished with 77 yards and a TD. I'm still pissed about getting rid of him.
Ajayi had 2 carries for 60yds, and 6 carries for 17yds. Yeah, yeah, I know we can't pick or choose the runs, but just for perspective on his day, if the car size hole didn't open on that one play (similar to the other 7), then this is a TOTALLY different conversation regarding Ajayi's debut with the Eagles.

No, but we would have lost any threat the RB has in the passing game, we would have had an RB with a penchant for tipping the defense off with his body language and we would have had many series stalled because he wanted to bounce the ball outside and lose 4 yards in the process. Who knows if the outcome of the game would have been different, but sending that brain-dead fool packing made the offense look the best it has all season. The Dolphins have no room for selfish players who are too stupid to pick up the offense after two seasons.
I will stick to my opinion and if at years end we find ourselves getting trounced as I expect will probably happen and Jay possibly does well and makes a another pro bowl, we will discuss again. Neither Williams or Drake are considered a real threat in the rushing game.

Long passes? We had Ajayi for the first 7 games and certainly haven't thrown many long passes. You're just making stuff up. Drake and Williams combined for more than Ajayi's rushing average (Ajayi averaged a whopping 66 yards/game in the first 7 with us, Williams/Drake combined for 83 on the ground against OAK), and added a dimension to the passing game that had been missing previously (Williams/Drake combined for 82 yards through the air, more than the 67 receiving yards Ajayi has total on the SEASON).

Drake alone bested Ajayi's averages in both rushing and receiving, not to mention the contributions from Williams.

Ajayi might have had one of his random "go off" games, which would have, of course, made a difference, but as a season average goes, we did better without him.
Note Raiders have a bad defense

tannehill would have been the difference
QB wasn't our problem as Cutty had his best game. Unless Tannehill could have gotten the morons to not take all those penalties it would have been the same outcome. I can't stand Cutler but he hit his first 16 passes and had a 120 QBR and 3 TDs. Problem was all the holding calls.

QB wasn't our problem as Cutty had his best game. Unless Tannehill could have gotten the morons to not take all those penalties it would have been the same outcome. I can't stand Cutler but he hit his first 16 passes and had a 120 QBR and 3 TDs. Problem was all the holding calls.

Cutler played a good game and I won't take that away from him. He was a big net positive for the team on Sunday and one of the best players on the field. That said, he absolutely left plays on the field and we had a couple of failed plays where he had a pocket and still backpedaled out of a throw instead of setting his feet. There's no fixing that at this point in his career.

Ajayi had been having a terrible year for us and he's a non-factor in the passing game, which is what kept us in this game, so a resounding no would be my answer

Miami wouldn’t have been in all 3 step with tannehill

There’s still some critical plays not being made. 3rd and 2 3 step pass batted down at the los seen too much of that. A underthrow of a wide open blown coverage ball to Julius that he had to stop for and then he fell down. That one should have popped big.

Deep ball to dvp corner and safety over the top the entire way. If you throw that it needs to be back shoulder. Not out in front. He threw that ball into coverage

No doubt though best game from cutler to date and a top 5 worthy grade overall

Miami just can’t live in 3 step though with no run game. On the road is when that kind of limitation shows up ghastly ugly

Like this upcoming Monday night

Last edited:
Dolphins were 13-0 when Ajayi had 18+ carries a game. We won so many games in the 4th quarter because of his running style, charging over people when they were exhausted. Do you think we would have pulled out a win if he was benched for the first half instead of traded?
These stats are so misleading though. Teams only run the ball when theyre winning typically so of course every game he gets lots of carries we have a better shot to win. I would bet most running backs have similar stats when you start digging.

There’s still some critical plays not being made. 3rd and 2 3 step pass batted down at the los seen too much of that. A underthrow of a wide open blown coverage ball to Julius that he had to stop for and then he fell down. That one should have popped big.

This one? Yeah.

Look at Cutler's throwing platform and how much room he has to step into that throw. Awful.

Superior Eagles online.

Sorry, but Ajayi was untouched on that run. That is a clear indication that the OLine opened a massive hole that ANY RB could have run through. And to be honest, seeing that replay I was actually surprised how slow Ajayi looked. He was almost knocked out of bounds before the endzone because he was so slow. The more I consider this move and with how diverse our offense seemed to be with Williams and Drake last week, I am feeling more ok with the trade.

He would have won because he would have outperformed Cutler's 121 passer rating, or because he's a winner?
Basing him off last season, he would’ve threatened the defense a hell of a lot more than Cutler did.

Cutler had good numbers and still left plenty of plays on the field. Ryan would’ve made some of them.

Train needed different scheme, the kind Gase doesn’t run. it aint just about ball handlers, it’s different blocking assignments. expect more cutting. misjudged Pounce just like Ryan with PRP. sad n sorry but 51s done. hips don’t lie. we need quality guards. man do i miss Incognito.

Back
Top Bottom