hoops scoops...jags miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...jags miami

As always hoops, great analysis. Since I agree with just about everything, I'll just add a few additional thoughts I had that you didn't touch on. I'm not being negative about our team, but you already nailed the positives that came to mind, so here are some rougher bits.

I don't know how much of it is early preseason lack of timing, sloppy route running, or just questionable reads by the receivers, but the passing game looks very sloppy. Tannehill has already thrown more inaccurate passes in 2 preseason games than he did in the final 5 games of the last regular season. If I had to guess, I'd say he has more footwork drills to do before he is ready for the regular season to begin.

Will Davis. I agree with you completely, the kid gambles, makes raw rookie mistakes, and he is shockingly not-physical ... but the kid looks like a playmaker to me. I see a Terrell Buckly with far better physical skills and a much higher upside. Jamar Taylor was the guy that I liked on draft day, but Will Davis can become a real ballhawk that can add bite to our solid defense. I'm excited to see him develops, lack of physicality and all.

As always hoops, great analysis. Since I agree with just about everything, I'll just add a few additional thoughts I had that you didn't touch on. I'm not being negative about our team, but you already nailed the positives that came to mind, so here are some rougher bits.

I don't know how much of it is early preseason lack of timing, sloppy route running, or just questionable reads by the receivers, but the passing game looks very sloppy. Tannehill has already thrown more inaccurate passes in 2 preseason games than he did in the final 5 games of the last regular season. If I had to guess, I'd say he has more footwork drills to do before he is ready for the regular season to begin.

Will Davis. I agree with you completely, the kid gambles, makes raw rookie mistakes, and he is shockingly not-physical ... but the kid looks like a playmaker to me. I see a Terrell Buckly with far better physical skills and a much higher upside. Jamar Taylor was the guy that I liked on draft day, but Will Davis can become a real ballhawk that can add bite to our solid defense. I'm excited to see him develops, lack of physicality and all.

passing game does look sloppy...if i'm being honest i expected to see a more polished looking qb in tannehill this year...i haven't seen it yet...but i will add that there has been pressure in both preseason games on the qb and pretty quick pressure forcing his hand in some instances...the errant throws have been more apparent thus far as well but we have exactly one quarter of game action with the 3 wr sets we will go with on game day to date...mike wallace hasn't gotten much work with tannehill either...he has to get on the same page with some of these guys...no excuses though it's tannehills team and it's time he starts to make more plays and become more consistent...i agree also that the footwork to date we have seen hasn't been great...

there is a part of me though that think once we go with a gameplan and can work on it exclusively all week that things will be more crisp come gameday...we haven't attacked weaknesses yet or shown much of anything just very vanilla work...it wouldn't surprise me if come week one we went no huddle exclusively on offense despite likely never showing it in the preseason...i don't think that we will face many defenses as formidable as far as a pressure on the qb aspect as ours either so in some regards i think it might get a little easier for the qb...

as for will davis i struggle with the t buck comparison in some regards...he had elite speed and 1st round tools...i don't really see a gambler in will davis i just see a guy who lacks long speed and plays too finesse for the slot and will struggle on the boundary when matched up with size or speed...the playmaking from a ball skills aspect is undeniable but you also have to be in position to make those plays and i'm not sure against top 3 wrs we see on a weekly basis if he won't get exposed...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why you're the man. And I have the same impressions. Just gives the D way too much to hit.

hey i told ya i'd check it out for ya and i did...he's running with more power and thru contact than i have seen...his feet look quick...nice looking lateral/jump cuts...i'm not sure about the lean it may be slightly improved whatever it is there is more power and more burst...i don't know that i can see any difference from a vision stand point...still no stiff arm use...

there has to be a question in this staffs minds about whether or not he can stay healthy at least at this point...that said to my eye it's him and lamar miler and then everybody else in the preseason as far as who looks good...they're the best 2 options that i see...we need to see some more of lamar miller too these next 2 games...i'd like to see 8-10 carries saturday followed up with a 12-15 carry game against the bucs in the regular season dress rehearsal...

if d thomas can stay healthy and not put the ball on the ground (and indications are in camp he's not putting it on the ground) i think he can average 4 yards per carry in this offense...i doubt he'll score many tds though cause he's not a home run guy and i wouldn't feel too good about making him the goalline back off last year...

by the way i looked at some more bryan tyms also...and he for such a raw and unfinished wr has surprisingly effective hand use prior to his cuts or at the stem of his route to create separation...kinda thing you usually don't see in such unfinished products...

that kids gonna be a hard cut i know that much...

by the way i looked at some more bryan tyms also...and he for such a raw and unfinished wr has surprisingly effective hand use prior to his cuts or at the stem of his route to create separation...kinda thing you usually don't see in such unfinished products...

The WR, RB and D line final cuts should be interesting. Heck I remember last year at this time I was panic stricken about the WR position. (Lack of).

To be honest, I think Tyms is ahead of Bumphis right now if his practices look anything like his pregame tape. His upside is breathtaking and unlike last preseason, he is showing signs of making that next step and translating those physical gifts into flashes of productivity. To me, it will all come down to his route running and how consistently he holds onto the ball. If I had to guess, I'd say Wallace, Hartline and Gibson are locks, Matthews looks likely to make the team, so that leaves Thigpen, Tyms and Bumphis to fight for the last spot or two. Thigpen is obviously a returner, and if the alternatives as return men keep looking as bad as they have thus far, he'll have to make the team IMHO. But, if he can reasonably be replaced in the return game, he's very much on the bubble. Bumphis is the only legitimate slot guy of the three, but he is flashing hot and cold. Consistency is needed holding onto the ball from here on out if he's going to make this team barring any more injuries. That leaves Tyms. His skill set is very intriguing. Given that he's making some plays now, I don't see how he clears waivers and makes a practice squad even if he is eligible. My guess is that he lands the last WR spot and spends most weeks inactive as the Dolphins develop him. Physically, he is exactly what the staff wants and that evil word "potential" goes a long way in the NFL.

One way or another, the Dolphins look poised to cut a WR with some promise. Whomever it is, I'm confident he'll be scooped up by another team pretty quickly. Choose wisely Ireland. It wouldn't be the first time a guy left Miami and went on to become a real player.

passing game does look sloppy...if i'm being honest i expected to see a more polished looking qb in tannehill this year...i haven't seen it yet...but i will add that there has been pressure in both preseason games on the qb and pretty quick pressure forcing his hand in some instances...the errant throws have been more apparent thus far as well but we have exactly one quarter of game action with the 3 wr sets we will go with on game day to date...mike wallace hasn't gotten much work with tannehill either...he has to get on the same page with some of these guys...no excuses though it's tannehills team and it's time he starts to make more plays and become more consistent...i agree also that the footwork to date we have seen hasn't been great...

there is a part of me though that think once we go with a gameplan and can work on it exclusively all week that things will be more crisp come gameday...we haven't attacked weaknesses yet or shown much of anything just very vanilla work...it wouldn't surprise me if come week one we went no huddle exclusively on offense despite likely never showing it in the preseason...i don't think that we will face many defenses as formidable as far as a pressure on the qb aspect as ours either so in some regards i think it might get a little easier for the qb...

as for will davis i struggle with the t buck comparison in some regards...he had elite speed and 1st round tools...i don't really see a gambler in will davis i just see a guy who lacks long speed and plays too finesse for the slot and will struggle on the boundary when matched up with size or speed...the playmaking from a ball skills aspect is undeniable but you also have to be in position to make those plays and i'm not sure against top 3 wrs we see on a weekly basis if he won't get exposed...

One thing to remember in the Terrell Buckley comparison is that Terrell played in a different era, when WR's came in all sizes including the smurfy small and quick guys. Those guys were much more challenging to cover for a non-physical CB and he needed elite speed to keep up. Today's WR's would all be considered bigger guys in Terrell's era. Where there are still fast and quick guys, generally today's WR's are slower and less quick. Even the ones with deep speed seem less explosive but are routinely 6'0-6'3 with larger wingspans. I think Will Davis is fast enough to cover today's WR's. Of course, being a rookie and coming in on the raw end of the scale, mentally he's going to be thinking more and instinctively reacting a bit slower. His play speed will only get better as it becomes more instinctual for him once he learns it and it becomes second nature.

To be honest, I think Tyms is ahead of Bumphis right now if his practices look anything like his pregame tape. His upside is breathtaking and unlike last preseason, he is showing signs of making that next step and translating those physical gifts into flashes of productivity. To me, it will all come down to his route running and how consistently he holds onto the ball. If I had to guess, I'd say Wallace, Hartline and Gibson are locks, Matthews looks likely to make the team, so that leaves Thigpen, Tyms and Bumphis to fight for the last spot or two. Thigpen is obviously a returner, and if the alternatives as return men keep looking as bad as they have thus far, he'll have to make the team IMHO. But, if he can reasonably be replaced in the return game, he's very much on the bubble. Bumphis is the only legitimate slot guy of the three, but he is flashing hot and cold. Consistency is needed holding onto the ball from here on out if he's going to make this team barring any more injuries. That leaves Tyms. His skill set is very intriguing. Given that he's making some plays now, I don't see how he clears waivers and makes a practice squad even if he is eligible. My guess is that he lands the last WR spot and spends most weeks inactive as the Dolphins develop him. Physically, he is exactly what the staff wants and that evil word "potential" goes a long way in the NFL.

One way or another, the Dolphins look poised to cut a WR with some promise. Whomever it is, I'm confident he'll be scooped up by another team pretty quickly. Choose wisely Ireland. It wouldn't be the first time a guy left Miami and went on to become a real player.

i don't think thigpen is competing for anything...i think he's a lock for the roster...his versatility is valuable...and he's a pretty darn good kick returner...

Back
Top Bottom