Hoops scoops...jets fins | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hoops scoops...jets fins

take a look at charles woodsons contract with green bay at the 30 window...i wont argue that teams may have some reservations but on a 3 year pact on a starting cb to get him and him be playing at a high level and just on the other side of 30 right now for $10 mil guaranteed i think that's money well spent..worst case i tag him...and give myself some time

Three years at $12 million guaranteed (and who cares what base salary) is money well spent. One year at $12 million guaranteed is not.

Three years at $12 million guaranteed (and who cares what base salary) is money well spent. One year at $12 million guaranteed is not.

so you'd let him walk vs tag him and retain him for one more year i take it...i'm not sure what i would do carroll being resigned may play into it for me...but i know i wouldn't auto rule it out either...you don't want to go from a position of strength to a weakness

grimes size also doesn't help vs big polished wrs...he eats up crappy big wrs and smurfs but big body guys who use their body and strength he as would be expected can have some problems

so you'd let him walk vs tag him and retain him for one more year i take it...i'm not sure what i would do carroll being resigned may play into it for me...but i know i wouldn't auto rule it out either...you don't want to go from a position of strength to a weakness

I would rather let him walk than tag him, yes. But I don't see what's stopping me from resigning him to a market price deal. In fact if I'm the Dolphins I'm probably willing to beat market price because I know he fits my system.

Will Davis was abysmal on that one deep curl route.

What the heck is the deal with Jamar Taylor? I know hes got short arms and all, but damn. Can't even play when healthy. Same with Davis.

Secondary wise I would resign Grimes, Carroll, get another corner and let Patterson go if he is asking for way too much.

Keep our safeties as is. We are doing a good job.

I would rather let him walk than tag him, yes. But I don't see what's stopping me from resigning him to a market price deal. In fact if I'm the Dolphins I'm probably willing to beat market price because I know he fits my system.

and what do you think is market price??? you seem to be concerned he will price himself out of miami...so give me what you think is likely his market...we both know that 30 number is not gonna help but someone also could make the leap

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Will Davis was abysmal on that one deep curl route. What the heck is the deal with Jamar Taylor? I know hes got short arms and all, but damn. Can't even play when healthy. Same with Davis.

Secondary wise I would resign Grimes, Carroll, get another corner and let Patterson go if he is asking for way too much.

Keep our safeties as is. We are doing a good job.

yeah...that was my thoughts also..to get turned around on that off coverage when all you have to do is face the ball and the man and tackle if it comes your way in front of you that was as poorly played as it could have been...by a possession wr no less...awful

and what do you think is market price??? you seem to be concerned he will price himself out of miami...so give me what you think is likely his market...we both know that 30 number is not gonna help but someone also could make the leap

I really don't know. It's a unique situation. He's on the wrong side of 30 and coming off an injury but he's also playing at pretty close to an elite level. I don't think he's worth what Woodson was worth at the same age -- and kudos to you for bringing up that example -- but it's something in that neighborhood. I know I'm prepared to offer him more money than probably any team in the league would. However, I don't think that's an excuse to senselessly throw the franchise tag at him.

I really don't know. It's a unique situation. He's on the wrong side of 30 and coming off an injury but he's also playing at pretty close to an elite level. I don't think he's worth what Woodson was worth at the same age -- and kudos to you for bringing up that example -- but it's something in that neighborhood. I know I'm prepared to offer him more money than probably any team in the league would. However, I don't think that's an excuse to senselessly throw the franchise tag at him.

well that confuses me then about why the tag would be an auto out...you have to guard against fall off with this contract sure but like you said the physical aspects do not show any signs yet...he hasn't lost a step he's got the same terrific awareness in off coverage and drive on the football when he puts his foot in the ground and comes forward...

perfect scheme fit too...will be interesting to see his market...if it's less than $9 mil per over 3 years i will be shocked...to me anything less than that's a bargain

well that confuses me then about why the tag would be an auto out...you have to guard against fall off with this contract sure but like you said the physical aspects do not show any signs yet...he hasn't lost a step he's got the same terrific awareness in off coverage and drive on the football when he puts his foot in the ground and comes forward...

perfect scheme fit too...will be interesting to see his market...if it's less than $9 mil per over 3 years i will be shocked...to me anything less than that's a bargain

Because the tag is completely guaranteed and the total value of an extension isn't. At Grimes' age the contract these guys get are big on the topline numbers but relatively small on guaranteed dollars. For obvious reasons, you want to protect yourself against injuries and him slowing down physically if you feel you have to move on.

Whatever three or four year extension Grimes signs will not have substantially more guaranteed money than the franchise tag. Therefore to me it's just nonsensical. What kind of deal could another team possibly offer Grimes that you're not willing to match... but yet you're willing to put the franchise tag on him. Unless someone comes through with an absolutely absurd deal, or he absolutely hates Miami, I can't see it. Just offer him a bit more money on the extension.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

yeah...that was my thoughts also..to get turned around on that off coverage when all you have to do is face the ball and the man and tackle if it comes your way in front of you that was as poorly played as it could have been...by a possession wr no less...awful

Exactly. How do you turn your hips when your that close to the goal line and know that Nelson is slow as crap.

Because the tag is completely guaranteed and the total value of an extension isn't. At Grimes' age the contract these guys get are big on the topline numbers but relatively small on guaranteed dollars. For obvious reasons, you want to protect yourself against injuries and him slowing down physically if you feel you have to move on.

Whatever three or four year extension Grimes signs will not have substantially more guaranteed money than the franchise tag. Therefore to me it's just nonsensical. What kind of deal could another team possibly offer Grimes that you're not willing to match... but yet you're willing to put the franchise tag on him. Unless someone comes through with an absolutely absurd deal, or he absolutely hates Miami, I can't see it. Just offer him a bit more money on the extension.

i'm not so sure about that...especially if the tags $10 mil and he signs for 3 or even 4 years...i can see him getting north of $15 mil guranteed over three years...and closer to $20 mil over 4

ideally i get him for 3 years but i think it's a little crazy to say he wont get more guaranteed than the tag rate over that term ...

Is Grimes' wife making noises about not liking Miami? I missed that. Everything I've seen is that they love Miami.

Grimes has been so good that, even at age 30, I could see him at 3 years, $26 million with half of that guaranteed.

grimes wife reminds me of the former nba player doug christies wife...probably just as much of a nuisance

i'm not so sure about that...especially if the tags $10 mil and he signs for 3 or even 4 years...i can see him getting north of $15 mil guranteed over three years...and closer to $20 mil over 4

ideally i get him for 3 years but i think it's a little crazy to say he wont get more guaranteed than the tag rate over that term ...

Which is why I didn't say that. I simply don't think it will be substantially more. Remember, the biggest UFA deal signed by a corner last year was Sean Smith's, and he only got seven and a half million guaranteed over three years. Is Grimes a better player than Sean Smith? Absolutely. But Smith was 25. By week one next year Grimes will be 31.

Which is why I didn't say that. I simply don't think it will be substantially more. Remember, the biggest deal signed by a corner last year was Sean Smith's, and he only got seven and a half million guaranteed over three years. Is Grimes a better player than Sean Smith? Absolutely. But Smith was 25. Grimes will be almost 31.

that's cause he sucks...did you see him tackle montee ball yesterday??? ha ha...no effort whatsoever...sean smith sucks...got abused on in cutters also

the only reason he hasn't gotten more exposed is cause the opposition is abusing #31 on the other side every time they drop back to throw...guy wears a target as large as there is in the league...

Back
Top Bottom