Hoops Scoops...prospects Miami should target in the 2013 draft first 4 rounds... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hoops Scoops...prospects Miami should target in the 2013 draft first 4 rounds...

I really like David Amerson, do you think with the proper coaching he will become more consistent? he seems like a ball hawk but is fooled by double moves easily

Great info!

What do you think of Chris Faulk, OT, LSU?

Also, I read that Dion Sims has dropped from 285# to 262# and his lean body comp is now 13% down from 18%. Given this commitment to get better, and his past success as a receiving threat, shouldn't he have some serious upside? We need a blocking TE now and if he can get "faster" and become even more of a receiving threat, wouldn't he be a steal in round 3 or 4?

Many of your targeted players will slip through to round 4 and beyond, I think we should try to obtain some extra late round picks and draft them for cheap.

RW

I really like David Amerson, do you think with the proper coaching he will become more consistent? he seems like a ball hawk but is fooled by double moves easily

I think he tries to get by with just his tools to much. coaching and technique may alleviate a lot of it. I would also like to see better awareness. But make no mistake about it his physical tools are elite level

Great info!

What do you think of Chris Faulk, OT, LSU?

Also, I read that Dion Sims has dropped from 285# to 262# and his lean body comp is now 13% down from 18%. Given this commitment to get better, and his past success as a receiving threat, shouldn't he have some serious upside? We need a blocking TE now and if he can get "faster" and become even more of a receiving threat, wouldn't he be a steal in round 3 or 4?

Many of your targeted players will slip through to round 4 and beyond, I think we should try to obtain some extra late round picks and draft them for cheap.

RW

I think faulks more a 5th round value. I am interested though. Doesn't strike me as a terrific move athlete. Sims dropping weight doesn't surprise me. Wanting to run fast. Playing at 260 would definitely help his burst but will he keep the weight off? Question you got to ask yourself. If so I like him more for sure maybe as the 5th tight end on my board. Maybe

I'm sure a few of those guys will last a little later. Not everyone's looking for what we are or our scheme fits.

Hoops, whats your take on Nickell Robey?? I went to high school with him and hes great corner IMHO but im curious what you think about him..

Hoops, what are your thoughts on Ziggy Ansah?

I'm a little late to the party (watching tape that is) but I liked what I watched of his, really jumped out in the Boise State tape and think he's a good fit if he's there @ 12. Hard guy to evaluate because he's constantly play as a lineman in a 3 man front and getting double teamed constantly. Hard to get a good gauge on his pass rush moves, but for a guy with so little experience he shows good awareness, a strong punch and a good burst for a guy carrying 270.

Never mind I dug around hahaha, to each their own. I don't see eye to eye on you on Mingo either, don't dislike him tho. He definitely needs to add some serious bulk, as you mentioned he's a liability in the run but he also can't tackle a lick. I'd agree with other posters, more of a 3-4 fit but could be drafted and groomed and come out as the best rusher in the class. Just not sure if he fits with what we are trying to do.

Hoops, whats your take on Nickell Robey?? I went to high school with him and hes great corner IMHO but im curious what you think about him..

i like him as a nickle corner...but the height at 5 ft 7 and some change frankly that bothers me...the height is why he is not on my list of targets...otherwise i'd have him as a 4th round value...awfully damn short even for the nickle...

think about this...he'd be giving up near 5 inches to ryan swope in the slot...

You know what...the more I watch Mingo the more impressive he is. I don't understand the love affair with Dion Jordan, everything I see Mingo do points towards him being a superior prospect. I'm not sure how much I like either of them in a 4-3 but even as a situation pass rusher in his first year I'd sign off on him as a Dolphin. Pass Rush > Run defense, across from Wake we could have our Bruce Irvin type guy, except I think with a higher ceiling.

On top of that, I want to see Odrick playing on the inside a lot more than the outside, if we could have a front of Mingo-Odrick-Starks-Wake on passing downs I'd be fine to take the trade off on the other downs for that type of pass rush! Not a lot of these pass rushers in the draft impress me too much honestly, so thanks for opening my eyes.

You know what...the more I watch Mingo the more impressive he is. I don't understand the love affair with Dion Jordan, everything I see Mingo do points towards him being a superior prospect. I'm not sure how much I like either of them in a 4-3 but even as a situation pass rusher in his first year I'd sign off on him as a Dolphin. Pass Rush > Run defense, across from Wake we could have our Bruce Irvin type guy, except I think with a higher ceiling.

On top of that, I want to see Odrick playing on the inside a lot more than the outside, if we could have a front of Mingo-Odrick-Starks-Wake on passing downs I'd be fine to take the trade off on the other downs for that type of pass rush! Not a lot of these pass rushers in the draft impress me too much honestly, so thanks for opening my eyes.

welcome to the light...:lol:

welcome to the light...:lol:

I've been condensing all my film watching a little bit late in the process...think it took me watching some of the other guys to really see the "light" hahahha.

But honestly, why is Dion Jordan a consensus top 5 pick??? I've seen very little as far as rushing the passer.

I've been condensing all my film watching a little bit late in the process...think it took me watching some of the other guys to really see the "light" hahahha.

But honestly, why is Dion Jordan a consensus top 5 pick??? I've seen very little as far as rushing the passer.

explosive tools...terrific size...serious upside...but he's a stand up guy all the way...very fluid...34 team is gonna love him...pass rush though is very raw...but the tools he has are very high end...just needs work and polish i'd say...but 34 olb all the way

explosive tools...terrific size...serious upside...but he's a stand up guy all the way...very fluid...34 team is gonna love him...pass rush though is very raw...but the tools he has are very high end...just needs work and polish i'd say...but 34 olb all the way

I see the wingspan, definitely a 3-4 guy. I guess when I'm looking at a 3-4 rusher in the top 10 I expect to see some pretty impressive pass rushing ability and I just flat out don't see it. He seems OK against the run, moves well but I just don't see the production/power I'd expect out of a guy who's such a consensus top 5 guy. I see him on tape and I see a guy who's in the 15-25 range at best based on his tools.

I see the wingspan, definitely a 3-4 guy. I guess when I'm looking at a 3-4 rusher in the top 10 I expect to see some pretty impressive pass rushing ability and I just flat out don't see it. He seems OK against the run, moves well but I just don't see the production/power I'd expect out of a guy who's such a consensus top 5 guy. I see him on tape and I see a guy who's in the 15-25 range at best based on his tools.

i agree with the pass rush sentiments as of right now...he needs a lot of work...no rush arsenal no counter pretty much just runs around guys on the edge but he does dip the shoulder at times and he flattens to the qb well once he gains the corner...his get off of the ball and first step though is extremely good and will have tackles attention...needs to get stronger i agree with that also...

talent wise i think he shows top 10 type worthy pick stuff and upside...pass rush wise this kids not very polished does not have the same immediate rush impact as a von miller...not sure i ever see that in the cards there...

i agree with the pass rush sentiments as of right now...he needs a lot of work...no rush arsenal no counter pretty much just runs around guys on the edge but he does dip the shoulder at times and he flattens to the qb well once he gains the corner...his get off of the ball and first step though is extremely good and will have tackles attention...needs to get stronger i agree with that also...

talent wise i think he shows top 10 type worthy pick stuff and upside...pass rush wise this kids not very polished does not have the same immediate rush impact as a von miller...not sure i ever see that in the cards there...

Do you have him or Mingo higher on your board?

Amazing write up as usual Hoops. I'm pretty torn on who I want the Fins to draft at 12. I would be happy with either Eifert or Carradine. Eifert would be a great help to Tannehill but Carradine would be a great help to Wake. I know we were around 7 or 8 last year in sacks but it just seemed that whenever we needed a big one to stop an opponent on 3rd and long they never came. They just didn't get that consistent pass rush which is what you need to have a chance at stopping the franchise QB's in the NFL.

I'm with you on Swope. I think the reports of the FO being happy with Bess in the slot are just a cover up. He just isn't fast enough for this offensive scheme where receivers are expected to play both inside and outside. Plus I don't think they want other teams to know they are targeting him. As of now this is who I would choose in my perfect draft.

1. Eifert or Carradine. To me this choice all comes down to how happy the coaching staff is with Vernon at DE. If they think he has the tools to develop into a consistent pass rusher I'd go with Eifert, if not Carradine.

2a. Swope: As I stated before I think the FO and coaching staff are very high on Swope but they don't want to let anyone know. I think they might even reach a bit to make sure they get him.

2b. Armstead: Besides Johnson like you said he has possibly the highest upside of all OL. I think we could go into TC with Jerry/Yeatman/Armstead all competing for the RT spot and then let the best man win.

3a. Matheiu or Poyer: This is where I feel the CB position will be upgraded.

3b. Rambo: Clemmons just doesn't create the turnovers a FS needs to in today's NFL. Jones could also be a great mentor to him. Rambo I think just needs to be more consistent and I believe Coyle could get that from him

4. Thornton: Depth at OG needs to be adressed and Thronton could be brought along slowly if Cogs and Louis stay healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom