How bout it? Melvin Gordon, RB, WISC | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How bout it? Melvin Gordon, RB, WISC

Would Melvin Gordon be your ideal pick? If not, choose and explain below.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Says who....and who's calling the plays? When we had Knowshon healthy we ran the heck out of the ball. I think the issue is more with Lamar Miller and the fact that the more he carries the ball the more likely he is to leave the game with some type of injury.

Yep, if we were capable, we would run a lot more. We just don't have the OL personnel or RB depth to have 25-30 rushes per game right now.

if you think 208 which is 3 lbs more than reggie bush when it comes to rbs and rb draft value is nothing to concern yourself with well then more power to ya...it draws my attention

Heavier than Walter Payton and Barry Sanders.........and i'd take either on my team.

Sports Illustrated did a great article on Gordon. The guy often gets up at 3 AM to go work out...his work ethic and dedication is unreal. He sounds like a guy who would be a very safe pick...he and Miller would be a great one-two punch.

408 yards in 3 qtrs versus Nebraska....second all time to only Barry Sanders in career yards....highest avg. Per carry in ncaa history.

This is not just another back.....this is a special back.

Rule #1 in this day and age you never take a running back before the 3rd round.

Its just bad decision making there is quality running backs everywhere.
I understand your logic but look at the impact Murray has had in Dallas this year, also LeVeon Bell in Pittsburgh. Both have delivered incredible value to their teams. Great RBs can have a massive effect on games. While drafting for value is smart, if Gordon is there at #14, he may be the best player on our board.
I think that we have greater needs eg DT, O-line and CB, but Gordon may be an exceptional RB. I am open to the possibility.

I understand your logic but look at the impact Murray has had in Dallas this year, also LeVeon Bell in Pittsburgh. Both have delivered incredible value to their teams. Great RBs can have a massive effect on games. While drafting for value is smart, if Gordon is there at #14, he may be the best player on our board.
I think that we have greater needs eg DT, O-line and CB, but Gordon may be an exceptional RB. I am open to the possibility.
Exactly right, spike. That's how I feel about it. I'm enamored with Gordon and support taking him in the 1st because I think he's a ++ prospect and anytime you get a generational prospect at 14 you're getting good value. This is not the time to put silly limits like not taking a RB before the 3rd round. That sounds like Parcells justifying not taking Jimmy Graham. Leveon and Demarco were 2nd rounders and in different eras they would have been first so value is relative but taking it to the extreme of completely devaluing the position sounds like a bad play. Even if we go another direction in the 1st, I still think we should absolutely prioritize RB in what is a historically deep draft. The fact that we might get Gurley in the 2nd or Duke or Coleman in the 3rd is extraordinary value and we should take advantage of it. I would rather get a potentially A+ player at a position in the first 3 rounds than a B in the 7th at that position. That margin of excellence separates playoff teams from mediocrity.

Thats what separates the winning organizations from us....they recognize exceptional playmakers when they are available....they don't pass on them to draft another guard or 330 pound slug DT.

We have other picks and free agency to fill out the roster.

time to rez this thread. poll is still open.

I'm curious as to where everyones opinions lie now? With the departure of 2 WR's - possibly Wallace too? Its kind of absolutely essential to draft one now.

As for me...I definitely want Kevin White, or Amari Cooper if we can have them at our pick...but if not I'm still all for picking Melvin Gordon.

For those who "dont see it"

Dan Marino, aside from the quickest release, had a little thing he used to do that would just infuriate DE's seeking to destroy Dan and that was this little step up into the pocket making the DE miss and Dan throws for a TD. The great QB's have this innate ability to see behind you or sense it at just the right time. It was something you couldnt notice right away but when it happens time and again, you see it. That little step up was everything. sometimes it was a sidestep. No, Dan was not a mobile QB, but because of that little step, he didnt need to be. He beat you with his arm.

Well, to me, there is something that I see in Mel Gordon and that is a very quick side step into the hole while moving forward that not many RB's in history have, or at least that Ive seen. Barry could stop on a dime and change direction, which Mel can do to but he is looking to hit that hole and he is equally good inside and outside. This thing is phenomenal to me. And the funny thing is now, is he ran a 4.53 forty, which made some people say they were a little disappointed. Well, I dont see that and this is where people overrate or underrate something based on combine numbers. And he has some guns on him and as someone mentioned before here, his work ethic clearly shows to me. High character. The ceiling is so high with this guy. Lazor would have no excuse not to run the football.

But beyond that, whatever team he goes to will make it that much harder for us to beat them. That guy is phenomenal moving through the LOS.

I would take Gordon if we traded down to the 20's or got an additional first rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be upset with the pick. Surprised but not upset. I also think drafting Gordon would mean Miami hit a home run in free agency, which I don't really see happening, but obviously a good thing.

Passing on that level of talent is a lifetime of regret! The rest is complimentary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom