How bout it? Melvin Gordon, RB, WISC | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How bout it? Melvin Gordon, RB, WISC

Would Melvin Gordon be your ideal pick? If not, choose and explain below.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
he's listed at 208 at that size he's not gonna be a 20 carry per game back i dont think...and with miller here the likely break down would be 15 to gordon and 10 to miller and that's probably ideal for miller but keep in mind millers 220 and joes not gonna just not give him run coming off his 2014 performance

obviously a gordon miller and williams combo would be a very good one but there still isn't the short yardage conversion guy or goalline jam it in guy...although in this o with as much as we put the ball in the backfield anyways on short yardage and rarely work from under center in it i guess that doesnt matter to much

so is a 15 carry a game gordon worth a top 15 pick for you??? or is that big wr this team needs so much with upside that needs time the better play despite the obvious risks given the rawness??? kind of thing you got ask yourself

the other part of this is whats harder to find with a top pick the physical size wr we need with physical tools or the back??? i know the answer to that one

just playing devils advocate here...i think the boards gonna say the wr with the talent is the smarter play at 14 and then the back can be found in round 2 or 3 should you go that route..i dont just want a big wr i want one that can run also and separate...they're rare...the ones that cant separate bust and the late round guys that can't run i mean the hit rate on that is rediculously low...you'll bust 20 times more than you'll hit or you'll end up with some end man on the 53 or marginal pro career guy that you always look to upgrade...the nfl grave yard is littered with those kind of guys stiff hipped straight linish types pedestrian speed

I dunno why you keep pointing to his size, where has he ever looked small on the field? If his legs are stick thin like Taiwan Jones (name correct), I'd be worried, but there not, Gordon is built like a Greek god.

McCoy and Charles both weighed less coming in the NFL they get plenty of touches, and they still weigh less.

Besides NFL defenses are getting smaller and smaller. These flex safeties are tiny now, guys like tyrann are all the hype. Linebackers weighing 230 lbs are the normal now, and the bigger vets are all losing weight. Even your veteran running backs are focus on losing weight.

Ah, the Pat White syndrome (also known as the Tavon Austin/Stedman Bailey effect in St Louis and the Geno Smith draft-itis in NYC). It can be very seductive and even made an experienced draft know-it-all legend like the Big Tuna a little giddy, but it is dangerous to a team's playoff chances. Bill Belichick grew up watching the Waltons on TV and loves a good Morgantown accent but has learned to be polite but firm and just says no to West Virginians. They look great in the highlight videos but disappear when required in the NFL.

You see what I'm saying. You can also add other recent guys like Bruce Irvin, Noel Devine, Steve Slaton to overhyped college players who didn't really improve once they hit the pro game.

The NFL level players there just never seen the kind of demands and structure needed to succeed when transitioning to the NFL. That's why they end up at WVU, no one really wants to be there.

he's listed at 208 at that size he's not gonna be a 20 carry per game back i dont think...and with miller here the likely break down would be 15 to gordon and 10 to miller and that's probably ideal for miller but keep in mind millers 220 and joes not gonna just not give him run coming off his 2014 performance

obviously a gordon miller and williams combo would be a very good one but there still isn't the short yardage conversion guy or goalline jam it in guy...although in this o with as much as we put the ball in the backfield anyways on short yardage and rarely work from under center in it i guess that doesnt matter to much

so is a 15 carry a game gordon worth a top 15 pick for you??? or is that big wr this team needs so much with upside that needs time the better play despite the obvious risks given the rawness??? kind of thing you got ask yourself

the other part of this is whats harder to find with a top pick the physical size wr we need with physical tools or the back??? i know the answer to that one

just playing devils advocate here...i think the boards gonna say the wr with the talent is the smarter play at 14 and then the back can be found in round 2 or 3 should you go that route..i dont just want a big wr i want one that can run also and separate...they're rare...the ones that cant separate bust and the late round guys that can't run i mean the hit rate on that is rediculously low...you'll bust 20 times more than you'll hit or you'll end up with some end man on the 53 or marginal pro career guy that you always look to upgrade...the nfl grave yard is littered with those kind of guys stiff hipped straight linish types pedestrian speed

I get your points....where the difference of opinion comes in is how good Gordon is and what he can or can't do?

I view him as extremely special...not just your run of the mill guy coming out.

I don't see a huge difference in 208 versus 220...especially someone as in shape as Gordan.

Therefore...If I'm drafting....Gordan is a back I don't pass on... And I normally say no to first round backs.

If he is gone...as I suspect he will be...I would take Davante Parker or Kevin White.

I would also remind you that Gordan is actually heavier than many all time great backs....including Barry Sanders & Walter Payton just to name two.

I see him as a 20 carry back easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Melvin Gordon and Tyler Lockett.

OMG. getting greedy on offense. Make you forget Wallace in a hurry.

A quick glance through a few mocks and I'd say circa two thirds have us taking this guy at 14. I'd be very surprised to see Miami, or anyone else, take a RB that high.

Having said that, I think teams such as Seattle and Dallas show the worth of having high quality in the back field so I wouldn't necessarily be against it.

As I see it, there's one primary reason that RB's have been devalued - health. It's not that great RB's are so easy to find; it's that the position carries such inherent risk. And if you really want to get your $'s worth out of a 1st RD RB, you're increasing his chance to bust because of injury. I love Gordon, and I'd be fine with the pick. I was fine with Miami drafting Jeremy Hill at #19 last season. But as you're seeing with Bell, as we've seen with Murray, Spiller, Charles, McCoy, Peterson, Ryan Matthews, Forte, RB's have a difficult time staying healthy. Defenders are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever, and RB's aren't protected like QB's and WR's.

So ideally, you'd get your RB in later rounds, so if injuries do derail his career, you didn't just trash a 1st RD pick.

With the RB depth in this draft - much better than last season (part of the reason I was so adamant about Jeremy Hill) - I think it's wise to wait. Coleman looks terrific, and he'd be my preferred next option, but Ajayi would be a great fit, but you also have guys like DJ Foster and Duke Johnson who should excel in Lazor's system, are much better than Lamar Miller both running and receiving the ball. Then you have guys like Yeldon and J. Allen who are less exciting, imo, but are craft runners and solid players.

Landon Collins will likely be off the board by the time Miami is drafting, and he's not an ideal fit with R. Jones - both at their best around the LOS - but he's high on my list of wants at 14.

A quick glance through a few mocks and I'd say circa two thirds have us taking this guy at 14. I'd be very surprised to see Miami, or anyone else, take a RB that high.

Having said that, I think teams such as Seattle and Dallas show the worth of having high quality in the back field so I wouldn't necessarily be against it.

Don't know why?...Great Backs rarely get out of the top ten....I'm talking about Backs that are clearly special....like Barry Sanders....Adrian Peterson.

Melvin Gordan is that kind of back.

Would rather Parker. Then Gordon/Gurley are kind of a wash for me. Would love either. But there's a chance Gurley is there if we trade back, or Duke in the second round

Rule #1 in this day and age you never take a running back before the 3rd round.

Its just bad decision making there is quality running backs everywhere.

Rule #1 in this day and age you never take a running back before the 3rd round.

Its just bad decision making there is quality running backs everywhere.

Lot of the NFL's best RB's come from the 2nd RD. Miami could have drafted Jeremy Hill in the 2nd, and if you gave him the holes that Miller had to run through this season, he would have averaged 6 yards per carry. Hill would have completely changed the dynamic of Miami's offense. If the Bengals don't go away from Hill today, they keep that game close. But Forte, Bell, McCoy, and Lacy all went off the board in the 2nd RD, and they've easily lived up to their draft positions. Looking for a stud outside of the top two rounds - even in today's NFL - isn't as easy as people make it out to be. It's important to understand that you miss a lot more on late-round RB's, so if you need a RB, you're going to have to commit a 2nd or 3rd to the position. The Texans weren't counting on Arian Foster becoming Arian Foster, and for every Arian Foster, there are 50 4th-UDFA RB's who become nothing more than special teams players.

I dunno why you keep pointing to his size, where has he ever looked small on the field? If his legs are stick thin like Taiwan Jones (name correct), I'd be worried, but there not, Gordon is built like a Greek god.

McCoy and Charles both weighed less coming in the NFL they get plenty of touches, and they still weigh less.

Besides NFL defenses are getting smaller and smaller. These flex safeties are tiny now, guys like tyrann are all the hype. Linebackers weighing 230 lbs are the normal now, and the bigger vets are all losing weight. Even your veteran running backs are focus on losing weight.

if you think 208 which is 3 lbs more than reggie bush when it comes to rbs and rb draft value is nothing to concern yourself with well then more power to ya...it draws my attention

if you think 208 which is 3 lbs more than reggie bush when it comes to rbs and rb draft value is nothing to concern yourself with well then more power to ya...it draws my attention

It wouldn't over concern me, no.

He's a true technical at that position, doesn't get hit hard often, uses his blocks as good as any RB in college football, is incredibly patient, and shifts extremely well. It's hard to line up a guy like that for a big hit.

He's also built like a god.(no ****) but he's big in all the right places.

And as I mentioned, NFL defenses are getting smaller every year, it's a speed league now. Those Parcells days are done for now.

It wouldn't over concern me, no.

He's a true technical at that position, doesn't get hit hard often, uses his blocks as good as any RB in college football, is incredibly patient, and shifts extremely well. It's hard to line up a guy like that for a big hit.

He's also built like a god.(no ****) but he's big in all the right places.

And as I mentioned, NFL defenses are getting smaller every year, it's a speed league now. Those Parcells days are done for now.

he had more a jamaal charles body up until this year...definitely added muscle and is probably at his ideal weight to run inside at the next level...although i dont think you can project that running inside like he did at wisconsin this year...terrific talent no argument there imo like i said likely bpa if he's on the board when our pick comes up...definitely will be the most polished skill position player at that point

i just wish he was more 218 than 208 and i think again with that thin torso in the mid section carrying much more weight would bring diminishing returns...i'm sure he will drink a bunch of water prior to the combine weigh in though to come off as a little heavier...

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be missing something, but I just don't see it...I see a team with some of the best run blocking in the country and the best blocking WRs in the country and a guy who seems to have to do very little to put up huge numbers...

Finally got around to watching some RB's, and if Miami targets a RB early, it has to be Gurley and not Gordon. I think we need a more complete back that has a longer shelf life, and one that will transition to the NFL better.

Back
Top Bottom