How bout it? Melvin Gordon, RB, WISC | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How bout it? Melvin Gordon, RB, WISC

Would Melvin Gordon be your ideal pick? If not, choose and explain below.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could see them drafting Gordon. They need a game changer. He is high character kid. People would get excited.

I DO think the team has other needs. The current back did pretty well this year. However, Gordon is so good and he could split carries with Miller. Nice duo.

Gordon is proving today he is definitely worthy of being a top 15 pick no matter what the draft value of RB's are in the draft nowadays.

Gordon will make a difference as a rookie that no CB or DT could make.

you cant lose with Gordon but RB help can be found in many spots and many Rb theses days are late picks or even undaftred.
exactly and RB's are commodities especially when you consider they get no protection from the rules. if he gains 300 more yards than Miller is he more valuable than a stud WR whose
career may be 3-4 years longer than a RB?

At the same time, how much better is Gordon than other RB's that will go in the 3rd and 4th round? He is better, no question. However, statistically the difference could be very little.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Gordon. However, when there are needed and quality DT's and WR's abound, do you take them as "better value".

Tough call at this point in January.

Fix the line and have Gordon and Miller run the ball. Maybe that could be a formula.

I love the kid. Most talented player in the draft.

Gordon will make a difference as a rookie that no CB or DT could make.

Glad to see were on the same page now.. :chuckle:

Yeah, Gordon is special, as I mentioned earlier, I can't really think of a RB in college besides guys like Tomlinson, Charles, that I've ever seen that have had his ability to anticipate and create lanes, AND finish the run. If you look at most of his big runs, most running backs, even good ones, won't find that running room that he somehow does.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him go top 10. If your a coach with your job on the line, your saying to yourself, this kid might save my job.

Seattle is about to win there 2nd Super Bowl behind a ball control, dominant run game, and great defense, that is the blueprint to beat the high flying passing teams in this league. I believe the Dolphins would be wise to follow a similar path.

The only other time I've been so impressed with a RB prospect was Peterson. For all the wisdom in modern thinking that taking a RB so early is foolish, especially when it isn't a need, there's a clearer wisdom in not passing up transcendent talent. If the jests had any sense they would take him. Establish themselves as a running team and let Geno hide and develop behind a dominant RB, rather than get him an Amari Cooper and expect him to light it up. Thankfully, the jests are incapable of thinking intelligently so we'll have a decision to make on Melvin. We've gotten a glimpse at how effective the running game can be in Lazor's offense, and that's with a patchwork oline. Give this team an extraordinary talent like MG3 to pair with a very effective Lamar Miller and it would be a potentially dominant offense that would help Tannehill and the pass protection considerably. Melvin's too good to pass on.

Glad to see were on the same page now.. :chuckle:

Yeah, Gordon is special, as I mentioned earlier, I can't really think of a RB in college besides guys like Tomlinson, Charles, that I've ever seen that have had his ability to anticipate and create lanes, AND finish the run. If you look at most of his big runs, most running backs, even good ones, won't find that running room that he somehow does.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him go top 10. If your a coach with your job on the line, your saying to yourself, this kid might save my job.

My issue is the value of RB's is so low. However, with this team in a win now mode, Gordon might be the most apt to come in and help now.

Seems like a great, competitive person.

After watching him live today, there is nothing wrong with taking him at 14. He is simply better than Lamar but to have those two every week is fabulous.

This offense is heavily predicated on the run game and the play action would be killer.

This WR class seems deep with big guys too. There is that.

Defense it seems Cb and LB is deep as well as some DT although the right type comes into play.

Melvin Gordon is electric and I believe I saw him blocking halfway decent when they needed a big pass play today.

When I think about 1st round picks at our spot, who is the one who will upgrade us the most?

I start comparing him to Parker, White, Shaq, and how they would fit in order to get the most out of them. I have a hard time not seeing Gordon over everyone else.

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

You get a G and a DT in FA (should Odrick go) and you can easily meet alot of our needs.

My issue is the value of RB's is so low. However, with this team in a win now mode, Gordon might be the most apt to come in and help now.

Seems like a great, competitive person.

I understand the position value, in my earlier post in this thread I said the same exact thing.

I just don't apply it to Gordon. Gordon would make this entire teams job easier week in and week out. Can't put a price on that. We haven't had that since Ricky Williams.

We had a productive run game this year. But it didn't produce game changing plays very often, we never controlled a game with it and never finished games off because of it.

Improve the oline and get Gordon, and that produces more wins than filling any position will. We've been filling positions forever it seems.

I'm glad to see opinions shift a bit in here....look, he should be there at 14. i expect him to go between 10-20. I dont care what anyone says about RBs not being valued the same...a talent like Gordon hasn't come out since Peterson. He should be BPA no question...

We have to get Tanne weapons...and having Gordon will force teams to respect us and it will open up the passing game. You can't take a WR except Cooper...who we can't afford. No TE can be taken that high either....so that leaves us with Oline (need) or defense. I dont think the need overweighs the talent of Gordon'

The maxim of not drafting a runningback in round 1 goes out the window when it is a very special back like Melvin Gordan.

This is an Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders type pick....and no guard will impact this team in round 1 as much.

I know we can fix the other issues elsewhere....rounds 2-7....free agency...we can't ever get a Melvin Gordan there.

I seriously doubt he gets out of the top ten though.

I still think you can get a quality back later, but no doubt Gordon is very special. I would not have an issue at 14.

After seeing what it looked like to have a legit rb (moreno) that can get us tough yards, I'd say its worth it if he's as good as they say. I'm a big ten guy and have watched a lot of mg3 and he is for real. Yesterday was just the first time the whole country got to see him in action. That td run he had on 4tg down was just sick. He displayed vision, burst through the hole, the ability to make guys miss, acceleration AND strength to stiff arm that dude and get the td. That one run could pretty much sum up gordon in one play. Unfortunately that run may have him get picked before he gets to us lol.

If he's there I'd take him. An effective and consistent running game would do wonders for our rz scoring, our 4 minute offense, ryan tannehill, the o-line AND give our defense more rests. Not tl mention he is known as an extremely hard worker and outstanding leader. If he's there I take him, even though we may need a wr or a cb more, there is no other talent at those positions that is on the same level as gordon IMO.

if it's bpa at pick #14 and he's on the board it's melvin gordon...whether or not miami will take a rb or what your thoughts are on the value of the position etc i hear ya but that's the bpa on college tape at that pick if he's there...

the concerns that i would have although small in manner is the thin torso and that body as a result cannot carry much more weight...so i wouldnt plan on him putting on any more weight...he's ballooned muscle wise from 2013 to 2014...and scraped some top end speed but not any of that sick acceleration...the vision and the patience to the hole and the acceleration thru it are filthy...that added weight helps him run inside he was more a jamaal charles in prior years he's become a inside and outside threat and has some finish forward now

and this kids got a murderous stiff arm and he knows how to use it

just remember also this scheme helps rbs...it absolutely does...not from the pass catching requirements but as ball carriers...

Back
Top Bottom