How did you become a Dolphins fan? and are you a diehard? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How did you become a Dolphins fan? and are you a diehard?

I became a Miami Dolphin fan in 1969(a terrible year) after
a family vacation in Miami. We made the playoffs 12 out of the next 16 seasons
but we all know where we stand today.

At my age, I'm not sure how many years i'll have to wait
for that turnaround but as a die hard fan I'd be willing
to give up a few of those years to relive the glory of yesteryear

Grew up in NJ and hated all off the “local” teams - Mets, Yankees, Jets, Giants. First NFL game that I watched start-to-finish was the Jets-Dolphins Mud Bowl and I decided at the beginning of that game that I was a Dolphins fan. The Super Bowl got me even more interested, even though I remember having to go to bed before the game ended. Then came the draft and Dan Marino and I was completely hooked. I remember crying after the loss to Seattle in the ‘83 playoffs, and then the excitement of Marino absolutely ripping apart the Redskins in the 1984 season opener. That season, I cut out every newspaper and magazine article I could find and taped them to my bedroom doors.

I started sneaking into the local sports bar in 1990. A few years later, a Dolphins fan that I met at the bar got the Sunday Ticket, which started 5 years of going to his house every Sunday to watch the Phins. In 1999, I bought a house and went with DirecTV for the singular purpose of watching the Dolphins every week. In all, I’ve missed one Dolphins game since 1990.

Attended my first Dolphins game at Giants Stadium in 1986. My father happened to be friends with the Jets team pastor. He gave us his tickets, which were in the Jets players’ family section....and I show up with a Marino jersey, loudly making my presence felt. Needless to say, the first of many heartbreaking games, a 51-45 loss. First game in Miami was in 1993...unfortunately the season Marino was injured, and what I was expecting to be a great Phil Simms vs. Marino matchup turned into Steve DeBerg starting for the Dolphins.

Most enjoyable visit to Miami was the 1995 season opener where the Phins crushed the Jets 52-14.

Anyway, yes, diehard.

I was six years old in 1971 and I wanted a football helmet and uniform. The store had three different teams that I could remember. The Jets, Vikings, and the Dolphins. I liked the Dolphins uniform the best, plus the team was great so I have been a fan for 47 years now.

Grew up in Orlando in the 60's and 70's.....for those of you who are old enough to remember, we used to have a large Naval Training Center in town and my father worked for the department of the Navy. My earliest recollection of watching a Fins game was during the 71 season.....and I was hooked. Back then, the fins were the only Florida team and they were very good....so it was easy to become a fan. I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Jumped on board the Csonka train in 72 at age 5. Living just outside of Buffalo the 70s were awesome
20-0 against the Bills.I was at the game in 1979 when Buffalo almost won but Tom Dempsey missed
fg by a half of foot LOL

Always watched football on Saturdays and Sundays for fun. In 1975, I decided to cheer for the Dolphins. My first game was not until 1992, the AFC championship game in Miami VS Buffalo. We went to a bar after that had 10 cent beers and watched Dallas the NFC game. It's been down hill since then! I still cheer for them and watch every game but I'm not a fan of what has been happen in Miami.

It was your own post that gave me the inspiration to start a thread like this (or, since one already existed, resurrect it), as I saw you mention this story of how you became a Dolphins fan in another thread. Very interesting read, and well written. And I must admit, reading it gave me some optimism amidst all the usual doom and gloom regarding the Fins!

Your take on following a coach as such, instead of a Franchise is interesting to me. If Gase gets sacked, and moves on to another Franchise, will your allegiance go with him? Or, if you see another great coach in the making elsewhere, might you jump over to follow that coach / Franchise instead?

Please bear in mind I'm not criticising or saying it's an invalid approach, I believe each to their own - I'm just intrigued, it's a very different viewpoint to what one hears as the "norm".

Keep up the good work by the way, I enjoy your posts.

I have not thought about what I will do if and when Gase leaves the Dolphins. I suspect the longer he stays, the more I will relate to both the team and the coach. Eventually I expect I'll be a fan of the entire franchise, not just the players.

Back
Top Bottom