How did you become a Dolphins fan? and are you a diehard? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How did you become a Dolphins fan? and are you a diehard?

Like another poster said, told this before but here it is again. Pops was a Vikings fan back in the day.I wasn't. Like another poster said I picked the helmets of the team's I liked. I liked the Dolphin's helmet the most being a kid. It helped that they were winning all the time. We cheer together. We "damn" together. Dolphin for life!

Born to it. When Dad made it back from Vietnam in 1968, he latched onto this fledgling team from south Florida for some inexplicable reason. So it’s hereditary, fan since 1976.

Strock. Den Herder. Baumhower, Keutch. Nathan. Dwight. Rose. Hardy. Duriel and Nat. The Bruise Brothers. McNeal. On and on. These are the names that echoed off the walls of my house on Sunday when I was growing up.

Iowa is Vikings/Packers/Chiefs land, but there are more Dolphins guys here than you’d think.

First of all, my main language isn't English, so I apologies for any mistakes.
I was born and raise in Mexico, and contrary to what must people think, we follow football a lot and for a long time ago (I believe we are the second largest football fan base in the world). In mid 70's (I was around 5 or 6 years old, don't really recall it) my father, who was/is a Cowboys fan decide it was time to introduce my brother and I to his loved sport, so he went into a sport store and look for some cowboys gear to gave us for Christmas. As he tells the story, he didn't find the cowboys uniform set with helmet and shoulders he was looking for, so been the 70's, he found Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders sets, he decide to go with Miami and Pittsburgh, wrap them and gave it to us randomly, of course I got the Dolphins one, and became an instant fan as did my brother for the Steelers. To this day my father still regret he did't wait and look for the Cowboys gear a little harder.
So I was close to became a Cowboys, Raiders and specially a Steelers fan, I have wonder sometimes if I rather have gotten the Steelers gear, but I dislike this team so much, I don't even like to think about it, so I'm perfectly happy I got my beloved Dolphins one. It’s almost like the team pick me
Because I'm a fan since the 70's I have enjoy very good years, I have seen David Woodly in a SB, Andan Franklin, Tony Nathan, Tom Vigorito, Jim Jansen, Killer B's, AJ Dohe, etc.etc.etc., and of course the Marino, Z. Thomas, JT years, so I'm not complaining.
To date, I manage to slip a trip almost every year to the USA to watch the Dolphins play, and have Sunday ticket and NFL pass at home, so I believe I qualify as a DIEHARD DOLPHINS FAN. And I can proudly say, I have pass the passion to my soon, a very difficult task with the current state of franchise, but mission have been accomplish

Last edited:
Being a young 27 years old, I haven’t been able to celebrate much success. However, my Dad grew up watching Miami in the 70s, so he was the fan. I grew up in house full of Dolphins things. Marino pictures everywhere, Dolphins blankets, Dolphins everything. So I was born into it, watched every Dolphins game, every Sunday was a huge production. We celebrated every football Sunday like most celebrate Super Bowl.

Unfortunately he passed away almost 6 years ago, but my support for the team never wavered. His wife (my stepmother) can’t really watch football anymore, but Dolphins football is how I remember him. 6 years later, now with a fiancé and daughter of my own, I make sure every football Sunday is a big event, because that’s what we did.

And of course, I own everything Dolphins

Attachments

• E4AC05F3-2E7B-485B-977C-1484DE5B2DC9.jpeg
    E4AC05F3-2E7B-485B-977C-1484DE5B2DC9.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 8
My becoming a Dolphins fan happened the day they hired Adam Gase.

I had been a fan of John Fox and followed his move from Denver to Chicago. That's when I found out about this guy named Gase. I was stunned when I found out he coached Tim Tebow to the playoffs with Denver, then fell into coaching Peyton Manning. He and Peyton had the same mindset and view and they ended up making history together. The next thing I knew, Gase was offered the head coaching job of San Francisco, which he turned down when he found out he had to accept Jim Tomsula as his defensive coordinator. This Guy Gase has guts. What coach in the NFL would turn down an opportunity as a head coach for San Francisco, especially if it was their first shot at being a head coach? Gase ended up as the offensive coordinator in Chicago, where he got a really poor team to play competitively and helped an old quarterback named Cutler improve his play dramatically.

The next year at least six teams had lined up interviews with Gase for a head Coaching position. I wasn't surprised when he accepted the Dolphins offer without going to any more of his scheduled interviews. Gase had been advised by John Fox that a team with a good owner would be critical to success. In spite of all the negative noise on this forum, Ross is really a good owner. I am sure Tannehills' potential is another of the reasons for Gases' coming here.

I have now been a Dolphins fan for two years. I like watching what I believe is a new football dynasty in the making. It isn't always pretty, but I have seen important improvements each year. The first year was the development of a "Team" mentality instead of a bunch of guys in the same uniforms. Last year was the emergence of many of the new Front Office's draftees and some of the Free Agents as some of the older players fell by the wayside.

The next year I saw a team that got dumped on with some of the most miserable things that can happen; weather, long trips, the loss of at least three important players by the time the first game started, the loss of a coach due to drugs and the loss of an important player in the middle of the year due to his bad attitude. This stuff isn't pretty. It exposed many weaknesses in this team. It also showed a consistent attitude from the head coach to his players and coaches - "do your job". He worked with the players as far as possible and held them accountable to the extent possible. Because of this, many of the rookies and newer players showed improvement once they got on the field. In the middle of the year it became necessary to trade away one player and recover some value in the form of a draft pick.

We are about to start our third year under this coach. I feel it's unreasonable to think that we will see the absurd stuff we saw last year, but this is the NFL and I'm sure we will see something weird. I see our players continuing to play better to the point that they can support more complex game plans. I think we are about to see the old Dolphins mentality fall away and the new Dolphin mentality appear. I see a team that will be more competitive and a body of players with fewer personnel problems. I'm looking forward to see how well this team can do with a lot of its deadweight gone.

So I’m a diehard out in Utah. My dad grew up watching Marino and instilled in me a hatred for the Patriots and a love for the Phins.
I’m only 22 and the first time I paid attention to Miami was at the end of the 2007 season when miami was abysmal.
I remember also at about the same time hearing that the Patriots were 15-0 going into week 17 and I was hoping the Giants could protect Perfectville. Brady hit Moss deep at the end of the game. It was such a great game that really piqued my interest.The pats ended up winning, I was obviously pissed, so I didn’t pay attention throughout the playoffs until the Super Bowl, figuring New England would have their way throughout the post season. That super bowl ended up being an incredible rematch of week 17 and my lack of interest ignited into a passion for the game. Most importantly, the Patriots didn’t end their season perfect.
The following year in 08, with a newfound interest in football, miami surprised everyone and turned things around and I was proud to be a Dolphins fan.
Since then, we’ve been up and down, but the future is bright and I love the Dolphins as much as ever!

I was born in Brooklyn, New York. I think I was vaguely aware of Broadway Joe's guarantee and the Jets Super Bowl victory (I was a toddler). My household were not sports fans.

My family moved to Fort Lauderdale in 1974. I was ten years old. Just missed the Dolphins' heyday.

I never watched a football game as a South Florida resident.

I went away to college at Emory in Atlanta in 1981. I guess I was feeling homesick one Sunday as a freshman, and went to the student union where they were watching a Dolphins game.

For some reason that made me feel like home. I stayed and watched (with other Dolphins fans, some from South Florida).

I fell in love and from that game on I never missed a Dolphins game.

That was the season that ended with the San Diego playoff loss. I had never imagined that a football game could be like that.

I was hooked for life.

It was only David Woodley and Don Strock at QB then, who knew a Super Bowl then 17 seasons of #13 was right on the horizon?

I was born in 1960 (live in Mexico City ) during those years you can only watch Dallas games-I hate that. So when we played Super Bowl VI againts them I root for the fins since then is my team . I feel very lucky because I´ve had the chance to follow all ups and downs ans tons of games...but for sure I´ll die being a Dolphin fan.

The first football game I remember watching was the AFC championship game in 1982, the "Interception by AJ Duhue" in the mud game. I asked my Dad who are you cheering for the Green team or the white team and he said white. It stuck ever since but Marino and the fact the Patriots sucked back then solidified it. I can't imagine who I'd be a fan of if my Dad had said he's cheering for the green team, ugh.

The first time I got to stay up and watch a while MNF game was the game vs the 85 Bears. I was 10.

My grandmother lived in Boca Raton and gave me a Fins hat for my second birthday. When she passed away I decided to become a true fan in her honour

Born and raised in VA, but I was around 10 and my dad was watching football and the Dolphins were playing and but I cant quite remember who they were playing at the time, and I was just in awe of watching Dan play, and starting asking my dad (colts fan) all about him. so from then on I was a huge #13 fan as well as the phins. I also loved the colors lol. Going on 26 years being a fan, and more than anything I would love to see a Super bowl in my lifetime.

Not a great story as some others here I know lol.

Family moved from midwest to WPB in '66. I was 9 years old. We needed a team to support and the brand new Dolphins were the only show in town. By the time I was in high school they were in the Super Bowl. How could I not be a fan?

Apologies in advance for the length

Much of my immediate and extended family moved from SC to Florida in 1960, the same year my older sister was born. My father was in poor health for much of his life. One of the things that he embraced and one of his greatest passions was football; his brother and eventual nephews (and many of my ancestors) played for Clemson. In 1966, he embraced the Miami Dolphins. Passionately. He watched every game. Some he watched from the hospital. He hated Howard Cosell with a passion after Howard ripped them on Monday Night Football against the Saints.

I wasn't just an "oops" nearly a decade after my sister. I was a "okay, medically...that wasn't supposed to be possible." My Dad only lasted a couple years after I was born, and mercifully so; the last voice recording I have of him is a preview by him of the Chiefs/Dolphins playoff game. He passed just weeks after they lost Super Bowl VI.

One of my biggest frustrations is that my Dad never got to see the Super Bowl win that he so badly wanted to see, and that I'm just too young to remember one that I've waited for my whole life. One of the things that makes me smile is that after he passed, they didn't lose again for over a year and a half.

Through the rest of my young childhood, my Uncle took us in as part of his family every weekend. Hurricanes on Saturdays, Dolphins on Sundays. We went to a few games, but watched most in his living room on Sundays. He taught me football. He said until he passed a couple years ago that it should have been Strock at the helm, not Woodley, and that Strock would have won Super Bowl XVII. My Mom, to her credit, kept the Dolphins spirit alive. We moved to Southern NJ in 1980, smack in the middle of the year when all of the Philly teams went to their championship games. All my friends thought I was weird because I didn't jump over to the Eagles, but I didn't. I wore my Fins gear constantly, and so did my Mom, until she passed when I was a teen. I wore the family colors through middle school. Through high school. Through college. While working in Manhattan. I'll wear them the rest of my life.

I told my son a few years ago that he could root for whoever he wanted...as long as it wasn't the Jets or the Patriots. He chose the Dolphins. So did my daughter.

It's awesome right now, listening to the unbridled joy that's going on in Philly. So many of my childhood friends are ecstatic, and they're going to the parade today. The same with many of my kids's friends...and their teachers. But my kids got it; they said, "It's not quite the same as if the Dolphins won." I get a lump in my throat thinking of how happy dozens of my friends are at this moment...that they finally got their championship parade. And I congratulated them...and more than a handful said "I remember you rooting for them like crazy, the one Dolphins fan in a sea of Eagles fans. You'll get yours someday."

And we will. Someday. And I'll be there. And I'll go to Dade Memorial Park and plant a championship flag down for my Dad...and he can rest a little easier.

Fins up.

Last edited:
My becoming a Dolphins fan happened the day they hired Adam Gase.
<snip>
It was your own post that gave me the inspiration to start a thread like this (or, since one already existed, resurrect it), as I saw you mention this story of how you became a Dolphins fan in another thread. Very interesting read, and well written. And I must admit, reading it gave me some optimism amidst all the usual doom and gloom regarding the Fins!

Your take on following a coach as such, instead of a Franchise is interesting to me. If Gase gets sacked, and moves on to another Franchise, will your allegiance go with him? Or, if you see another great coach in the making elsewhere, might you jump over to follow that coach / Franchise instead?

Please bear in mind I'm not criticising or saying it's an invalid approach, I believe each to their own - I'm just intrigued, it's a very different viewpoint to what one hears as the "norm".

Keep up the good work by the way, I enjoy your posts.

Back
Top Bottom