How did you become a Dolphins fan? and are you a diehard? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How did you become a Dolphins fan? and are you a diehard?

My mom's side of my family is from the Pittsburgh area and all of them are Steelers fans, 2 of my uncle's went to school and played with Marino in high school....all I ever heard growing up was how amazing he was and how pissed they all were that the Steelers didn't draft him...fell in love with football and the Dolphins at 4 years old when I got my first Marino jersey...only game I have ever been to, Celeveland 1993...same day Marino ruptured his Achillies tendon...I was so excited because a kid I played football with in Virginia was related to JB Brown and was incited to the team hotel the night before the game...I got to meet Bryan Cox, Offerdahl, Terry Kirby and OJ McDuffie...I was bummed out i didn't get to meet Marino or Shula that night...the year Marino was elected to the HOF I was in PA for a family reunion which also turned out to be a surprise trip to his induction ceremony

Apologies in advance for the length

Much of my immediate and extended family moved from SC to Florida in 1960, the same year my older sister was born. My father was in poor health for much of his life. One of the things that he embraced and one of his greatest passions was football; his brother and eventual nephews (and many of my ancestors) played for Clemson. In 1966, he embraced the Miami Dolphins. Passionately. He watched every game. Some he watched from the hospital. He hated Howard Cosell with a passion after Howard ripped them on Monday Night Football against the Saints.

I wasn't just an "oops" nearly a decade after my sister. I was a "okay, medically...that wasn't supposed to be possible." My Dad only lasted a couple years after I was born, and mercifully so; the last voice recording I have of him is a preview by him of the Chiefs/Dolphins playoff game. He passed just weeks after they lost Super Bowl VI.

One of my biggest frustrations is that my Dad never got to see the Super Bowl win that he so badly wanted to see, and that I'm just too young to remember one that I've waited for my whole life. One of the things that makes me smile is that after he passed, they didn't lose again for over a year and a half.

Through the rest of my young childhood, my Uncle took us in as part of his family every weekend. Hurricanes on Saturdays, Dolphins on Sundays. We went to a few games, but watched most in his living room on Sundays. He taught me football. He said until he passed a couple years ago that it should have been Strock at the helm, not Woodley, and that Strock would have won Super Bowl XVII. My Mom, to her credit, kept the Dolphins spirit alive. We moved to Southern NJ in 1980, smack in the middle of the year when all of the Philly teams went to their championship games. All my friends thought I was weird because I didn't jump over to the Eagles, but I didn't. I wore my Fins gear constantly, and so did my Mom, until she passed when I was a teen. I wore the family colors through middle school. Through high school. Through college. While working in Manhattan. I'll wear them the rest of my life.

I told my son a few years ago that he could root for whoever he wanted...as long as it wasn't the Jets or the Patriots. He chose the Dolphins. So did my daughter.

It's awesome right now, listening to the unbridled joy that's going on in Philly. So many of my childhood friends are ecstatic, and they're going to the parade today. The same with many of my kids's friends...and their teachers. But my kids got it; they said, "It's not quite the same as if the Dolphins won." I get a lump in my throat thinking of how happy dozens of my friends are at this moment...that they finally got their championship parade. And I congratulated them...and more than a handful said "I remember you rooting for them like crazy, the one Dolphins fan in a sea of Eagles fans. You'll get yours someday."

And we will. Someday. And I'll be there. And I'll go to Dade Memorial Park and plant a championship flag down for my Dad...and he can rest a little easier.

Fins up.
Love this post dude! Incredible. Can kinda feel the emotion in it, love that it has been a family thing for you.

Super Bowl 17 Skins vs Dolphins Part II. I'm 5 years old and my parents are having a SB party in the basement of my house. 90% of the attendees were diehard Redskins fans. Myself and a few of my cousins were rooting for Miami. My cousins are diehard Cowboys fans so it'd be blasphemous indeed if they rooted for their hated rival. Me being only 5 years old those dark aqua uniforms always stood out; but Fulton Walker's KO return for TD to start the 2nd half gave me hope that Miami would win. Not only that but all the Skins fans were SILENT.

I remember it being a very competitive game and then IT HAPPENED. The infamous John Riggins "run to glory TD" which was the nail in the coffin. Everyone (skins fans) went ballistic. I on the other hand was heartbroken; I cried myself to sleep that night. That night was when I took football seriously. So much so that months after that game I watched the 1983 NFL Draft and took mental notes. Before the draft even began all I kept hearing was John Elway or Dan Marino who's the better QB? Elway was tagged as the "once-in-a-generation" type player while Marino was tagged as the "super-talented but troubled" QB; of course due to the alleged rumors of drug abuse.

Hours later and Miami Dolphins are on the clock. Analysts still in state of shock over some questionable draft selections ( KC taking Blackledge, NE taking Eason, NYJ taking O'Brien,etc.) say Don Shula has an early Christmas gift with Dan Marino still available. Minutes later Commisioner Rozelle "the Miami Dolphins select.....QB...Dan Marino from the University of Pittsburgh". I knew it was a big deal but had no clue HOW LUCKY I (freshly new Dolphins fan) WOULD BE TO WITNESS GREATNESS FOR 17 YEARS. As they say the rest is history.

I grew up and live in suburb outside of Philly. I always liked the #22 even had a pretty good HS RB have that number. Watching Mercury Morris when I was about 10 the occasional times the Fins were on and thats where I began being a Fins Diehard. I liked Gary Davis a few years later believe it or not. Was very excited when trading for Del Williams and when Cefalo was drafted. Gerald Small was my favorite D player. Many years of Dolphins Digest back in the day
Certainly like the Eagles too but not really until Buddy Ryan became HC

When I was six years old, I kind of liked football, but was not yet a big fan and was not attached to an particular team.

That year on Christmas day, I watched the longest game in NFL history with much of my family. Everyone was just completely wrapped up in that tense, hard fought match. When the Dolphins won, I began to get attached. A few weeks later when Dallas whipped the Dolphins in their first Super Bowl, I was angry and also felt sorry for them. At the time, I really knew nothing about any other team and I latched onto the Dolphins. I guess the timing was right because I then got to watch them go through two of the best seasons of NFL football ever played. I have been a strangely obsessed fan ever since.

I live in South Florida. I gotta root for the home team.

With that said, despite my 50 billion posts on here, so I consider myself a diehard? No. Because when the team sucks, I don't lose sleep over it.

Love this post dude! Incredible. Can kinda feel the emotion in it, love that it has been a family thing for you.

Thanks man. It still is to this day - my cousin flies a Dolphins flag in his front yard in Boca.

Been a fan since the 60s and hit the pedal in the early 80's. Decided I was going to drop the team once Shula and Marino because with those 2 guys at the helm any game could be won BUT here I am stoll hanging around so yea I am a diehard fan.

My Dad and my Uncle were watching a Dolphins game one fine Sunday afternoon in good ole Port St Lousy. Had nothing better to do and my P.E. Teacher taught us how to throw a football the week before. I liked how worked up they would get and I saw Ricky Williams. I also saw how awful Jay Fiedler was. My thought process went like this: I can do better than that dude. Maybe I’ll save the team one day. Maybe I’ll be the next Marino.

The rest is history. I’m typing this from my winter yacht off the Mississippi River in La Crosse, WI

And YES I am a diehard. The biggest football fan I know. Except for my best friend. He knows the X’s and O’s better than I do. We will be one of the best coaching tandems sooner or later

Both my dad and mom had relatives in South Florida, my aunt on my dads side lived in Fort Lauderdale and my cousin who was my god father lived in Deerfield Beach; while My uncle from my moms side lived in Coral Gables. Each year we’d travel down to visit them. I was already a fan because of Shula, Griese, Czonka and the No Name Defense. As a kid I became enamored with the team and team colors and would run to the candy store during football season, just to buy the topps football cards to collect, and try to get all the Dolphin player cards. I’d be glued to the TV when ever they were on. But It wasn’t until Directv came out and was able to watch the games every week that I became Phinatical!!! We’d also travel down to Joe Robbie every October to catch a game for almost a decade, back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Dan Marino took my level of Phandom to new heights back then. After moving from NYC to New Jersey and finally getting my own place, I began to search the internet to look for Dolphins news and stumbled across the Dolphins Blogs and Dolphins Fan sights like Finheaven which cemented my Phandom and As i approach my mid 50’s I continue to bleed aqua and orange!!!

Last edited:
Outside of my fiance, my brother and his wife, the Dolphins are the only thing I care about (football in general). It probably means too much to me, but that's just who I am.

I was 6 years old when we lost to the Chargers in the '94 playoffs and balled my eyes out that day. Been hooked ever since.

EDIT: I've lived in Washington state my entire life.

family of DeLand Floridians (African/Georgia Seminole)... Flipper came to TV... Dolphins came to me. done.

I became not only a phins fan but a DIEHARD phins fan when they beat the pats to give my broncos homefield advantage in the playoffs leading to our Super Bowl win. I cannot thank the phins enough for being the Stockton to my Malone also happens that my best friend who's actually sitting on my yacht off the Mississippi is a die hard phins fan and happens to be my future DC when we take he NFL by storm and he rememberd as the best coaching duo that ever set foot on a football field #unitedinorange #phinnation

Back
Top Bottom