Howard's contract complications | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard's contract complications

Injury guarantees only kick in when a player is injured enough that they can't pass a physical.

Howard's injury was not that bad.
If Hoards injury, suddenly became career ending, I’m sure we would file a fraud suit. I appreciate Howards contribution, but his business tactics disgust me.

Pretty sure he stated there is no guaranteed money left on his current contract in an interview a few weeks ago. Which means we cut him post June 1st and eat close to $36M in dead cap split over the next 3 years. You can’t “get out of” contracts with 3 years left without repercussion.
if we cut Howard post June we save 18mill with 7mill of dead money....it's going to happen

I'll def miss X, he's been one of my favorite players for some time now.

I don't know if it's been his injuries or he's actually lost a step. Seems like just one step because he's always SO close to a PD or int but is often just inches out of reach.

Contract Notes:
  • $36.3M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2022 salary + 2023 salary)
  • 2023 Option Bonus: $16.985M (guaranteed, must be exercised 3/15/23 - 3/24/23)
  • $4M of 2024 salary fully guarantees 3/17/2023 (injury guaranteed at signing)
  • 2024 Roster Bonus: $3M (3/14/2024)
  • 2025 Roster Bonus: $3M (2nd league day of 2025)
  • 2026 Roster Bonus: $3M (2nd league day of 2026)
  • Pro Bowl/1st-Team All-Pro: $1M
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/xavien-howard-18986/

Howard hasn’t been a top tier CB in the NFL since 2021. Between his constant struggles with injuries the past two years and his loss of speed, he hasn’t been close to the player he was earlier in his career.

He will be 31 before the 2024 regular season begins. His best days are obviously behind him and at this point in his career he is no longer worth the money he has left on his contract.

He has made it clear he isn’t willing to renegotiate his contract to reduce his salary. Therefore the only decisions the Dolphins have is to trade him if they can find another team willing to take on his contract. More than likely no team is going to trade for Howard because of his contract. So cutting him after June 1st appears to be the most likely end of Howard’s career in Miami.

Last edited:
I'll def miss X, he's been one of my favorite players for some time now.

I don't know if it's been his injuries or he's actually lost a step. Seems like just one step because he's always SO close to a PD or int but is often just inches out of reach.
I think it’s just age. Time eventually gets everyone.

They will negotiate an injury settlement.
I have no idea if there is anything to this, but assuming there is, what motivation would X have to do so on the cheap?

Even if he did, that counts against the cap, and in this case, would likely prohibit a June first designation.

An injury settlement situation is not a good thing.

if we cut Howard post June we save 18mill with 7mill of dead money....it's going to happen
The point is whether he can throw a monkey in the wrench via an injury claim. Since you can't cut an injured player, the June first designation may be in question.

You haven't forgotten the Byron Jones fiasco.....

Back
Top Bottom