Howard's contract complications | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard's contract complications

I don't see this becoming a problem unless Hoard is retiring... and even then, he wont get his entire salary.

As far as what we'll do next? Honestly, I think Smith and Bonner will fight it out for the job... and we'll have a cheap former starter FA in the wings in case of disaster.
Please elaborate on the continued "Hoard" reference, I might've missed it earlier @Feverdream

I hate to be judgemental, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of Howard taking a page out of Byron Jones's playbook on this one.

As I said before, he is due a 3m dollar roster bonus in about a month. I believe the June first designation would have to be done prior to this to prevent that from kicking in.

A month isn't very long to hold up proceedings, particularly when agents and possibly the NFLPA get involved.

Maybe Imt being pessimistic. It probably comes from seeing X basically hold the team "hostage" previously.
Hey, I don’t know. But if Howard and the way his contract is structured screws. Miami this upcoming season, it should be the final nail in Chris Grier’s coffin.

Please elaborate on the continued "Hoard" reference, I might've missed it earlier @Feverdream

Giving in to Hoard's blackmail when he 'held in' for a renegotiated contract was Grier's single biggest error of his entire tenure with us. X should have been traded or suspended.

The man (and I use that term scoffingly) had signed a contract and refused to honor it... he clearly has no honor and his word is worthless... thus 'Hoard'. Whored might be more accurate.

Great player at one time... shitty human being.

Giving in to Hoard's blackmail when he 'held in' for a renegotiated contract was Grier's single biggest error of his entire tenure with us. X should have been traded or suspended.

The man (and I use that term scoffingly) had signed a contract and refused to honor it... he clearly has no honor and his word is worthless... thus 'Hoard'. Whored might be more accurate.

Great player at one time... shitty human being.
Got it, figured as much. Thanks @Feverdream , just wanted to make sure bro

Hey, I don’t know. But if Howard and the way his contract is structured screws. Miami this upcoming season, it should be the final nail in Chris Grier’s coffin.
Well, I don't think he could completely destroy our situation, but I do think he could beat us out of several million more.

I also don't blame Grier, though personally I would not have caved to Howard's demands in the first place.

Despite X taking his grieving public, I don’t think Grier caves unless he was at odds internally with Ross or Flores on the matter.

I suspect it was the latter.

That’s the way I read it too. So, how are people saying Howard can screw up the post June 1 cut?
Only that if it can't be done before his bonus kicks in it, the cap savings will be less than otherwise expected.

No, it's not a "sky is falling" situation, but we are operating on a thin margin. 4m might be the difference, for example, in having a vet FA Dlineman, or not.

Only that if it can't be done before his bonus kicks in it, the cap savings will be less than otherwise expected.

No, it's not a "sky is falling" situation, but we are operating on a thin margin. 4m might be the difference, for example, in having a vet FA Dlineman, or not.
Can’t they just designate him post June 1st cut anyway? Isn’t his 4 million dollar payout already kicked in because of missing his last two games? I hate trying to figure out all the intricacies of contracts and salary caps. It bores me and it is way above my pay grade 😁

That coffin has so many nails in it already Dracula couldn't get out. However Grier seems to escape year after year.

As far as the injury guarantee goes.. these only kick in if a player can't play. They don't automatically kick in because a player was injured at the end of the year, only if they are unable to play the next year... and if this becomes a he said/she said, then doctors and arbitrators are involved.

This would be a bad play on Hoard's behalf... it would end his career.
Hoard.....ok that was funny.

Back
Top Bottom