Howard's contract complications | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard's contract complications

I HATE that we extended X after extending him 1-2 season earlier with his holdout.

It was “obvious” it was time to move on from him while he still had some decent value.

Now we’re in a situation where it’s “obvious” he just going to continue to decline and cost a lot of money in the process.

Better to let them go too early vs too late!

if we cut Howard post June we save 18mill with 7mill of dead money....it's going to happen
Oh he is definitely gone. The whole post June 1st dead cap thing is very confusing. I have seen multiple different amounts. I guess it depends on if we pay some of his contract this season. My understanding was the dead cap was usually the amount left in the contract to prevent teams from just cutting guys with multiple years left and no guaranteed money.

The point is whether he can throw a monkey in the wrench via an injury claim. Since you can't cut an injured player, the June first designation may be in question.

You haven't forgotten the Byron Jones fiasco.....
I'm expecting them to work something out but Howard needs to be gone....probably the greediest player we've ever had

We should have traded him when we extended him instead of bowing down.

He’s the single player on the team that I am most eager to move on from. He’s one of the greediest players in this team’s history and I really hope he signs with a team that we play twice a year. Garbage player now.

1707672825983.png
1707672867068.png

Not going to pretend I understand how that **** works, but here are the numbers...

Dead money is money the team has already paid to player but hasn‘t counted against cap yet.

Regardless of when we cut X, that prorated bonus is dead money. It just comes down to how it gets charged against our books vs the cap hit.

Btw, we still have a $10M dead money for Byron Jones in 2024 too.

Last edited:
Dead money is money the team has already paid to player but hasn‘t counted against cap yet.

Regardless of when we cut X, that prorated bonus is dead money. It just comes down to how it gets charged against our books vs the cap hit.

Btw, we still have a $10M dead money against cap charge for Byron Jones in 2024 too.
from my limited understanding, post june cut sounds like a no brainer...

Btw, we still have a $10M dead money against cap charge for Byron Jones in 2024 too.
That is true about the dead money already on the books.

In this case part of the appeal is being able to use the post June first designation to spread out the cap charges. Beyond that, X is due a roster bonus of 3m on March 14th.

If the injury claim somehow derails our perceived plans to use the designation it will certainly, and negatively affect our cap situation for this season.

Now, I have no idea if there is any fire underlying the smoke. Just relating possible ramifications.

Cutting X IS a no-brainer.

We need to create cap space; he isn't a dependable player any longer, certainly not for what he receives in salary.

The NEW money would be 18.4 million dollars... no one on the planet thinks he deserves anywhere near that amount, so barring him taking a MASSIVE paycut, he's gone with a post June designation.

Cutting X IS a no-brainer.

We need to create cap space; he isn't a dependable player any longer, certainly not for what he receives in salary.

The NEW money would be 18.4 million dollars... no one on the planet thinks he deserves anywhere near that amount, so barring him taking a MASSIVE paycut, he's gone with a post June designation.
Do you have any concerns or opinions on how an injury could affect our options?

I have no idea if there is anything to this, but assuming there is, what motivation would X have to do so on the cheap?

Even if he did, that counts against the cap, and in this case, would likely prohibit a June first designation.

An injury settlement situation is not a good thing.
Wouldn’t there have to be some kind of proof that he was too injured to play? Obviously Howard can’t just claim he’s hurt without a neutral party examination. I don’t really know the details of these situations, but I’m pretty sure they will work it out.

As far as the injury guarantee goes.. these only kick in if a player can't play. They don't automatically kick in because a player was injured at the end of the year, only if they are unable to play the next year... and if this becomes a he said/she said, then doctors and arbitrators are involved.

This would be a bad play on Hoard's behalf... it would end his career.

Do you have any concerns or opinions on how an injury could affect our options?

I don't see this becoming a problem unless Hoard is retiring... and even then, he wont get his entire salary.

As far as what we'll do next? Honestly, I think Smith and Bonner will fight it out for the job... and we'll have a cheap former starter FA in the wings in case of disaster.

Wouldn’t there have to be some kind of proof that he was too injured to play? Obviously Howard can’t just claim he’s hurt without a neutral party examination. I don’t really know the details of these situations, but I’m pretty sure they will work it out.
I hate to be judgemental, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of Howard taking a page out of Byron Jones's playbook on this one.

As I said before, he is due a 3m dollar roster bonus in about a month. I believe the June first designation would have to be done prior to this to prevent that from kicking in.

A month isn't very long to hold up proceedings, particularly when agents and possibly the NFLPA get involved.

Maybe Imt being pessimistic. It probably comes from seeing X basically hold the team "hostage" previously.

Back
Top Bottom