Hyde: Draft Winds IV - A thorough breakdown of Cam Newton (w/ video) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Draft Winds IV - A thorough breakdown of Cam Newton (w/ video)

I don't know about being personally invested in Cam Newton. She didn't mention any contact that she's had with the Newtons since they were at Blinn together and I doubt there has been any contact. But as for being professionally invested in Cam Newton, that is simply not the case. Gena Parsons is retired from Blinn, and lives in the Florida Keys now. The letter she wrote was to a local columnist of a Florida Keys news service. She saw a column the local guy wrote about Cam Newton (a positive column, I believe) and decided to take time out of her day to write to the columnist and support what he was saying with her own firsthand view of Newton at Blinn College. There is no discernible ulterior motive, she could just as easily have not written the columnist at all. She was just a regular citizen of the Florida Keys, no longer an employee of Blinn College, and decided to share the fact that she'd been around a lot of athletes that make their way through Blinn trying to get back into D1-A ball and potentially the pros, and that Cam's personality was the most special she'd run across.

I understand you keep searching for reasons to be skeptical...but there aren't many, along the avenue that you're talking about right now. Newton hasn't had to say anything to any teams yet about his past at Gainesville. Warren Moon has counseled him to be as honest as possible about it. I think that's good advice. But it may not even be advice Mr. Moon needed to give, because all signs point to Cam being honest about his past with those that he's worked with. And THAT is what matters.

Ah, okay. I went and found the article and read it. Thanks for that. It tips the balance in the manner you're suggesting.

The only part I'd disagree with is that all signs point to Cam being honest about his past with that he's worked with. So far, this is the only sign I know about one way or another. I suppose that's the strict definition of "all" but I know I'd like to see and hear more.

Not because I'm owed, but because it would it potentially be a sign of how he plans to treat the issue in private with NFL teams.

So what's more important to you, that he tell you, a fan, via a microphone and a camera, that he's sorry for something that never affected you at all? Or that he's honest about his mistakes with the people that he's around and works with on daily and weekly bases?

Well, what doesn't make sense is that someone like Nick Saban can be labeled a "liar" for doing exactly what you just said Cam Newton did. Yet the extent to which you'll go to defend Team Newton is hilarious..

Cam nor Cecil have ever uttered a single word, or come out and cleared the air regarding all the scams and scandals they've been involved in that just seems to follow them around. They've been air tight about everything...

Either one of them "didn't know" this or that... did no wrong... wasn't my fault... etc..

I will tell you this much... there's a lot of people who had Cam Newton AND Cecil Newton nailed a long time ago, and see right through their disguises. Plenty of NFL personnel people caught on to their shenanigans and without necessarily calling them out directly, (as it's just not how the NFL does business)... let it be known.

Some will give Team Newton the benefit of the doubt, especially if they need to sell tickets... but there's also those with enough information that wouldn't touch Team Newton with a 10 foot pole.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander... at least be consistent with the excuses and how they apply. You're starting to sound like the typical south Florida hack job "journalist", who thinks they deserve the gospel truth just because a microphone and a camera are present.

Personally I think it's better PR strategy not to say anything about the issues at Florida at all to the public, both while he was at Auburn and now as he heads into the Draft. Don't make headlines. You don't need to. Where's the sense in it? Don't create another story that will just be used to distract you from your goal. If you're honest about it with the people that matter, there's no need to talk about it with the press. When I say "all signs" I do mean the Parsons letter but from the letter, it appears Newton was honest and forthright about the laptop thing not just with her but also with coaches at Blinn. That's kind of what I mean by "all signs". And if he's been honest about his mistakes with them, I'm not sure why he wouldn't be honest about them with Auburn, because at that point the cat's out of the bag and there's no need for excuse-making. Why create more stories about negative stuff? What's the good in it? There will be a time he will be sitting in front of teams and with team employees and they will be asking him about the things he did. That is the time to be honest and frank about everything. Outside of that, you're just drawing attention to yourself with the press for all the wrong reasons, when your goal is to draw attention to yourself for all the right reasons, so you can pull endorsement money and improve your draft position.

Well, what doesn't make sense is that someone like Nick Saban can be labeled a "liar" for doing exactly what you just said Cam Newton did. Yet the extent to which you'll go to defend Team Newton is hilarious..

Cam nor Cecil have ever uttered a single word, or come out and cleared the air regarding all the scams and scandals they've been involved in that just seems to follow them around. They've been air tight about everything...

They either one of them "didn't know" this or that... did no wrong... wasn't my fault... etc..

I will tell you this much... there's a lot of people who had Cam Newton AND Cecil Newton nailed a long time ago, and see right through their disguises. Plenty of NFL personnel people caught on to their shenanigans and without necessarily calling them out directly, (as it's just not how the NFL does business)... let it be known.

Some will give Team Newton the benefit of the doubt, especially if they need to sell tickets... but there's also those with enough information that wouldn't touch Team Newton with a 10 foot pole.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander... at least be consistent with the excuses and how they apply. You're starting to sound like the typical south Florida hack job "journalist", who thinks they deserve the gospel truth just because a microphone and a camera are present.

Your Alabama bias is showing.

Please, do tell, where exactly have I contradicted myself with respect to Cam Newton and Nick Saban? All you've thrown out is a vague accusation, that I do not know to be accurate in any way.

And despite all your assertions this whole time, Cam Newton is going in the top portion of the 1st round. The quicker you get over that, the better. Fight it tooth and nail, but it'd be better for you if you just go into "I don't care if they draft him high he's still going to be a bust" mode...sort of like the "I don't care if teams don't want Jimmy Clausen he's going to be a good QB" mode.

Your Alabama bias is showing.

Please, do tell, where exactly have I contradicted myself with respect to Cam Newton and Nick Saban? All you've thrown out is a vague accusation, that I do not know to be accurate in any way.

And despite all your assertions this whole time, Cam Newton is going in the top portion of the 1st round. The quicker you get over that, the better. Fight it tooth and nail, but it'd be better for you if you just go into "I don't care if they draft him high he's still going to be a bust" mode...sort of like the "I don't care if teams don't want Jimmy Clausen he's going to be a good QB" mode.

Sure I'll point it out...

You can't label Nick Saban a "liar", for being honest with the people that matter, as you just alluded to. He was honest with his boss, Wayne Huizenga about how he felt, and he was honest with his family.

If he "lied" to a couple of south Florida media hacks who wouldn't stop asking him questions about the Alabama job, and wouldn't ask him any questions about the Miami Dolphins, then by your own admission it doesn't matter, correct?

However, if Cam Newton doesn't spill his guts in front of a microphone and a camera, it's because fans, etc. don't really DESERVE it anyway...

That's where you contradict yourself... that's not an Alabama bias my friend...

What that is.. is inconsistency on your part, and an argument of convenience. A contradiction...

Sure I'll point it out...

You can't label Nick Saban a "liar", for being honest with the people that matter, as you just alluded to. He was honest with his boss, Wayne Huizenga about how he felt, and he was honest with his family.

If he "lied" to a couple of south Florida media hacks who wouldn't stop asking him questions about the Alabama job, and wouldn't ask him any questions about the Miami Dolphins, then by your own admission it doesn't matter, correct?

However, if Cam Newton doesn't spill his guts in front of a microphone and a camera, it's because fans, etc. don't really DESERVE it anyway...

That's where you contradict yourself... that's not an Alabama bias my friend...

What that is.. is inconsistency on your part, and an argument of convenience. A contradiction...

First off, where is your evidence that at the time he lied to the media about going to Alabama (December 21, 2006), he had already told those he worked with of his intentions?

I'll answer that for you, there is none, because he hadn't told anyone. I'm sure his family knew, and his agent knew, but nobody with the Dolphins did. Later, the Shula family would claim evidence that Saban's agent was talking with Alabama's people before Mike Shula had even been fired. Oh but I mean, the Saban family is so much more trustworthy in that he-said/she-said battle, right? After all, it's not like they've been caught lying or anything. WHOOPS!

And oh, how's this for being honest with those you work with...not even informing any of the players or coaches in person about his decision. That's REAL honest, right?

Far as I know, I've not seen Cam Newton lie about the laptop incident, I've just seen him avoid talking about it. That would have been for the best, if Nick Saban had the spine to keep up a 'no comment' stance as Newton has. But alas, Nick did not, and so he wrote his own NFL legacy.

Sometimes I don't get your 'defense' of Saban. You're really cold about it, not really doing Little Nicky many favors with the way you tell it. I'd be less insulted if I were Nick Saban and I heard CK's version of events, than if I'd heard TedSlimmJr's version of events. At least I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's not as spineless as a plastic grocery bag blowing in the wind. But you, you're cold, man. To hear it from you, he was bullied around by everyone. He was bullied around by Wayne Huizenga, even though Saban had been given 23 million guaranteed reasons to feel he could throw his own weight around. He was bullied by Bryan Wiedmeier, who stood at Huizenga's side and forced a guy with control over the coaching staff written into his contract to accept coaches he didn't want and toss out coaches he did. He was bullied by Randy Mueller, who even though Saban had control over the roster written into his contract, evidently forced bad players onto the roster. He was bullied by the doctors, (other than the one that performed the actual surgery on Drew Brees), who told him he can't sign Drew Brees to a free agent contract at the price New Orleans was offering. And I guess he was bullied by the media, who forced him to lie about a story that continued to progress because HE progressed the relationship between himself and Alabama.

Who didn't successfully bully the man? I guess only Manny Wright. Yowsa. No wonder he went back to college where all the teenagers say "how high" when he points at a grasshopper.

At least I give him the benefit of the doubt of just making un-wise and in some cases cowardly choices. Given that he'd already made the cowardly (yet rational) choice to abandon a ship whose hull he'd punched a large hole in, I fully approve of his 'no comment' campaign to the media. He chose to be a liar. That was his choice, his rubber stamp he decided to put on his sad NFL legacy. I think he just made bad and un-wise choices when it came to personnel, but at least I'm not claiming that an underling that had no control written into his contract bullied him around like a 3rd grade girl bullying a 2nd grade boy on the playground. I think he chose to seek the help of coaches with NFL experience, because it seemed the rational thing to do, and I notice two of them (Dom Capers, Mike Mularkey) are highly successful again.

But man, your defense of Saban is straight up vicious. You should let up on the man! He's only human.

First off, where is your evidence that at the time he lied to the media about going to Alabama (December 21, 2006), he had already told those he worked with of his intentions?

I'll answer that for you, there is none, because he hadn't told anyone. I'm sure his family knew, and his agent knew, but nobody with the Dolphins did. Later, the Shula family would claim evidence that Saban's agent was talking with Alabama's people before Mike Shula had even been fired. Oh but I mean, the Saban family is so much more trustworthy in that he-said/she-said battle, right? After all, it's not like they've been caught lying or anything. WHOOPS!

And oh, how's this for being honest with those you work with...not even informing any of the players or coaches in person about his decision. That's REAL honest, right?

Far as I know, I've not seen Cam Newton lie about the laptop incident, I've just seen him avoid talking about it. That would have been for the best, if Nick Saban had the spine to keep up a 'no comment' stance as Newton has. But alas, Nick did not, and so he wrote his own NFL legacy.

Sometimes I don't get your 'defense' of Saban. You're really cold about it, not really doing Little Nicky many favors with the way you tell it. I'd be less insulted if I were Nick Saban and I heard CK's version of events, than if I'd heard TedSlimmJr's version of events. At least I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's not as spineless as a plastic grocery bag blowing in the wind. But you, you're cold, man. To hear it from you, he was bullied around by everyone. He was bullied around by Wayne Huizenga, even though Saban had been given 23 million guaranteed reasons to feel he could throw his own weight around. He was bullied by Bryan Wiedmeier, who stood at Huizenga's side and forced a guy with control over the coaching staff written into his contract to accept coaches he didn't want and toss out coaches he did. He was bullied by Randy Mueller, who even though Saban had control over the roster written into his contract, evidently forced bad players onto the roster. He was bullied by the doctors, (other than the one that performed the actual surgery on Drew Brees), who told him he can't sign Drew Brees to a free agent contract at the price New Orleans was offering. And I guess he was bullied by the media, who forced him to lie about a story that continued to progress because HE progressed the relationship between himself and Alabama.

Who didn't successfully bully the man? I guess only Manny Wright. Yowsa. No wonder he went back to college where all the teenagers say "how high" when he points at a grasshopper.

At least I give him the benefit of the doubt of just making un-wise and in some cases cowardly choices. Given that he'd already made the cowardly (yet rational) choice to abandon a ship whose hull he'd punched a large hole in, I fully approve of his 'no comment' campaign to the media. He chose to be a liar. That was his choice, his rubber stamp he decided to put on his sad NFL legacy. I think he just made bad and un-wise choices when it came to personnel, but at least I'm not claiming that an underling that had no control written into his contract bullied him around like a 3rd grade girl bullying a 2nd grade boy on the playground. I think he chose to seek the help of coaches with NFL experience, because it seemed the rational thing to do, and I notice two of them (Dom Capers, Mike Mularkey) are highly successful again.

But man, your defense of Saban is straight up vicious. You should let up on the man! He's only human.

Well, Mike Malarkey is successful again because he has a franchise quarterback... something he never would have come by in Miami.

Isn't it ironic how coaches go on to continue being successful and win championships when they leave this well run, fine tuned franchise that sets coaches up for success? I mean after all, it's the hackjob south Florida journalists that have a finger on everything, right?

Saban's agent can talk to whoever he wants... it was Mal Moore and Dr. Witt who were pursuing Nick Saban while he was employed by the Miami Dolphins... not vice versa.

The job had already been offered to Rich Rodriguez... Saban didn't lie when he said he wasn't going to be the Alabama coach. As far as he knew, he wasn't going to be. Whether he WANTED to be or not...

Wayne Huizenga let Saban out of his contract, after telling Wayne how he felt. AFTER telling Wayne that he would stay and honor his contract even though he didn't want to be there. Nick Saban didn't even have the Alabama job when Dr. Witt's plane left Tuscaloosa headed for Miami to offer him the job..

Hell, most of these overpaid prima-donna "grown men" in the NFL act a helluva lot worse than 18-19 year old college kids anyway. They're worse than having to deal with teenage daughters... and you have about as much control over them...

If you're going to have to deal with a bunch of immature spoiled whiny a**es anyway, you might as well do it in a place where you and your family can at least be happy on a daily basis. That's ultimately the only place where your obligation is...

It doesn't matter what you "choose to give him"... As baffling as you may find my defense of Nick Saban, I find your defense of south Florida journalists, and Team Newton just as baffling... believe me.

I realize you somehow think you've gotten to the bottom of the Cam Newton saga, and figured out what he stands for. All I'm trying to tell you is that's not the case... and far from it.

It'll all come out in the wash... he can't out run that.

I don't think I've gotten to the bottom of what Cam Newton is about. I think we've dug far enough to have a fair idea how he'll behave. Regardless of his motivation, whatever you think it may be, the motivation leads to the actions. If he's doing it to be perfect for the cameras...well, isn't that the SAME motivation Jason Taylor always had? That didn't work out so bad for us.

don't know if this is already on here somewhere or not but cam newton is said to be a full participant in this weeks upcoming combine...although i wonder if him actually throwing will change once he arrives in indy

don't know if this is already on here somewhere or not but cam newton is said to be a full participant in this weeks upcoming combine...although i wonder if him actually throwing will change once he arrives in indy
Why wouldn't Newton throw? When a QB has an cannon like his they should put it on full display.

I'd be surprised to see Newton throw. I mean, if he throws well at the combine, are the Panthers going to draft him #1 overall twice?

I'd still like to see it, but what would he really be gaining?

Matt Bowen comes off like a hypocrite and/or idiot in that little write up. He was unimpressed by Newton's manufactured workout . . . That's fine.

But, he doesn't even make mention of Bradford not throwing at the combine last year. That really hurt his stock. He fails to address accepted wisdom: if you're one of the top QB's, you'll likely only hurt your stock by throwing at the combine.

Newton has already given NFL GM's and scouts a good look at what he can do from a physical standpoint as a passer. If they want to see him do it under pressure, they can watch some Auburn tape.

I guess I should change "I would be surprised" to "I am surprised."

Still, Newton is the goods. He'll make all the throws and wow everyone.

There's enough doubt around C.Newton that throwing will benefit him a great deal. Once he displays his incredible skills (again) there will be no doubters only haters and he won't get out of the top 5.

Back
Top Bottom