Hyde: Draft Winds IV - A thorough breakdown of Cam Newton (w/ video) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Draft Winds IV - A thorough breakdown of Cam Newton (w/ video)

nice interview ck...you sounded like you belonged...and that you had a pair...:lol:

That coming from the guy who admits he was thinking about my testicles while listening to me on the radio? Heh.

Nice interview Chris. I believe I fit the category of those who said no way and now are thinking differently.

Great interview CK! Its a shame people form their opinions and then most won't revise those opinions even when faced with that much evidence to the contrary. Just reading the posts in the comments section of the article webpage shows you that. With some of those stupid comments you just have to think "Really dude? Did you not read the article?" It is one of the best football articles I've read.

What's up with the next article? What's the subject and when does it hit Sun-Sentinel's website?

Great interview CK! Its a shame people form their opinions and then most won't revise those opinions even when faced with that much evidence to the contrary. Just reading the posts in the comments section of the article webpage shows you that. With some of those stupid comments you just have to think "Really dude? Did you not read the article?" It is one of the best football articles I've read.

What's up with the next article? What's the subject and when does it hit Sun-Sentinel's website?

Thanks. I don't expect to change the opinions of people that have done their research already and considered everything, but unfortunately there remain a LOT of people out there that have not done that, and they like to pretend that they actually have. As much as I respect Scott Wright of NFL Draft Countdown, he clearly has not done the homework on Cam Newton yet. They talked about Newton a little bit, only 15 minutes after I hung up the phone, and Wright was regurgitating the same crap that I just got done dispelling in the article and on the radio interview. "When have you ever seen a guy that plays like Newton as a running quarterback succeed in the NFL? I dunno, maybe he'll be the first, but I'm skeptical. In the NFL he can't just make one read and then pull the ball down and run." That sort of crap. It was absolute crap and even though I respect Scott Wright immensely I felt comfortable saying that I could toss his opinion on Cam Newton out to the curb with yesterday's garbage simply because I could tell he hadn't done the same level of research as me on the subject. I'm playing chess on the subject and he's still stuck in Tic-Tac-Toe land.

But that's what you're fighting against, when it comes to Newton.

Newest Draft Winds should hit tomorrow. Simon's got this one I believe, I might contribute a little bit.

i guess you guys never have heard the term "throw it like you got a pair"...i use it on my nephew any time we toss the rock around

it has nothing to do with thinking about a mans bits...

i guess you guys never have heard the term "throw it like you got a pair"...i use it on my nephew any time we toss the rock around

it has nothing to do with thinking about a mans bits...

Man you make it so easy I find myself deleting what I wrote just because there's no sport left in it. LOL.

I'm surprised no one's commented on the fact that it was weird to actually hear your voice. I just assume everyone on the internet is a deaf/mute paraplegic. Anyhow, as I said earlier in the thread, it was a very nicely done article. It brought together a compelling case, with lots of great information, including a few nice nuggets I hadn't heard before (and of course the videos, which are always such a great topping). It's only too bad Warren Moon didn't do that interview he did about Cam earlier on. He certainly backed up a lot of your conclusions.

I suppose I'm still one of the few left who haven't made up my mind about the guy. I've never doubted his physical ability. If he never scrambled the ball, I would still like him as a passer. I like his accuracy. I don't put as much stock in the "one read" thing because, number one, that's something people say about college QBs all the time, even about guys who eventually become successful, and number two, it's never as true as people think it is.

As I've said before, if I'm scouting Cam Newton I'm not even really bothering to look at the tape anymore. I know what's there. It rides now with your security people and what you learn by talking to everyone who's ever known him. From where I sit, I still find the guy to be something of a mystery... which I suppose is just a nice way of saying that he sounds like a phony... a guy who's trying so hard to say the right things it actually comes off programmed and wrong. If he's come forward and made his mea culpas publicly -- with completely honest admissions of guilt and details about what happened -- I'm not aware of it. And until I hear them, I'm probably going to assume that there's still a part of him that doesn't think he really did anything wrong, that thinks the whole thing was a conspiracy of some kind, an undue public castigation, a witch-hunt and so on. And if that's true, then it's probable he hasn't really learned anything except how to better cover his tracks and deal with the media.

Now, that's a totally subjective thing to say. I admit that completely, not that it isn't obvious. I don't expect too many people to agree with that or even think it's a particularly good way to do an analysis. But at the end of the day you have to get a feeling for these guys as people. And drawing a read on a person and making an assessment of their character is ultimately a personal and unexplainable thing.

I still have Blaine Gabbert as my #1 QB and am fairly well certain that even if I were convinced of Cam's good nature and commitment to excellence that I would have Gabbert ahead of him. Gabbert flushes too easily from the pocket, has inconsistent footwork and throws a mediocre deep ball. But those are things I have seen quarterbacks improve at over and over again with pro coaching, and I'm pretty confident Gabbert will be another one of those. As a passer -- ball location, throwing people open, making quick decisions, being daring with the ball -- I consider him fairly well advanced beyond Newton, and those are things I'm going to put more importance in than Newton's advantage in throwing a great deep ball every time.

I'm surprised no one's commented on the fact that it was weird to actually hear your voice. I just assume everyone on the internet is a deaf/mute paraplegic. Anyhow, as I said earlier in the thread, it was a very nicely done article. It brought together a compelling case, with lots of great information, including a few nice nuggets I hadn't heard before (and of course the videos, which are always such a great topping). It's only too bad Warren Moon didn't do that interview he did about Cam earlier on. He certainly backed up a lot of your conclusions.

I suppose I'm still one of the few left who haven't made up my mind about the guy. I've never doubted his physical ability. If he never scrambled the ball, I would still like him as a passer. I like his accuracy. I don't put as much stock in the "one read" thing because, number one, that's something people say about college QBs all the time, even about guys who eventually become successful, and number two, it's never as true as people think it is.

As I've said before, if I'm scouting Cam Newton I'm not even really bothering to look at the tape anymore. I know what's there. It rides now with your security people and talking to what you learn by talking to everyone who's ever known him. From where I sit, I still find the guy to be something of a mystery... which I suppose is just a nice way of saying that he sounds like a phony... a guy who's trying so hard to say the right things it actually comes off programmed and wrong. If he's come forward and made his mea culpas publicly -- with completely honest admissions of guilt and details about what happened -- I'm not aware of it. And until I hear them, I'm probably going to assume that there's still a part of him that doesn't think he really did anything wrong, that thinks the whole thing was a conspiracy of some kind, an undue public castigation, a witch-hunt and so on. And if that's true, then it's probable he hasn't really learned anything except how to better cover his tracks and deal with the media.

Now, that's a totally subjective thing to say. I admit that completely, not that it isn't obvious. I don't expect too many people to agree with that or even think it's a particularly good way to do an analysis. But at the end of the day you have to get a feeling for these guys as people. And drawing a read on a person and making an assessment of their character is ultimately a personal and unexplainable thing.

I still have Blaine Gabbert as my #1 QB and am fairly well certain that even if I were convinced of Cam's good nature and commitment to excellence that I would have Gabbert ahead of him. Gabbert flushes too easily from the pocket, has inconsistent footwork and throws a mediocre deep ball. But those are things I have seen quarterbacks improve at over and over again with pro coaching, and I'm pretty confident Gabbert will be another one of those. As a passer -- ball location, throwing people open, making quick decisions, being daring with the ball -- I consider him fairly well advanced beyond Newton, and those are things I'm going to put more importance in than Newton's advantage in throwing a great deep ball every time.

Gena Parsons, who worked with the Sports Information desk at Blinn College, disagrees with the statement in bold. She believes and has said that Cam has been very forthcoming and honest about the mistakes he made at Gainesville.

So what's more important to you, that he tell you, a fan, via a microphone and a camera, that he's sorry for something that never affected you at all? Or that he's honest about his mistakes with the people that he's around and works with on daily and weekly bases?

Gena Parsons, who worked with the Sports Information desk at Blinn College, disagrees with the statement in bold. She believes and has said that Cam has been very forthcoming and honest about the mistakes he made at Gainesville.

So what's more important to you, that he tell you, a fan, via a microphone and a camera, that he's sorry for something that never affected you at all? Or that he's honest about his mistakes with the people that he's around and works with on daily and weekly bases?

I don't look at it like I deserve to know or anything like that. But given how publicity conscious Team Newton has been so far, I do think it would be odd if he didn't chose to address these issues publicly. It's not important, per se, but if they're throwing their own media workouts and inviting everyone in to look at him and talk to him up close... only nobody's allowed (or he won't comment, or is evasive) about what happened at Florida, then that would be weird to me, yes. And off-putting.

But at the end of the day, the media doesn't pick the players, the teams do. What's important is that he's willing to be honest and sincere about it with them, and that his statements match up to the investigated facts.

If he's willing to do that, then great. He'll be rewarded. But if he's evasive and defensive with teams, then that's going to be a problem.

I take it as en encouraging sign that Gena Parsons says that Newton is forthcoming and honest about what happened. But with all due respect to her integrity, it's still only the word of someone who's probably personally and certainly professionally invested in the guy. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that if I'm going to be convinced of his sincerity, then I'm going to need to see and hear it for myself. Whether Team Newton thinks it's important to convince the public at large of his sincerity remains to be seen. But I'm not just going to take Gene Parsons' word for it and put the issue to rest in my own mind. I doubt too many people would do that.

At the end of the day, each team is going to have to look him in the eye and figure out if they're satisfied with his explanations of what happened. If they are, then great. I'm not in a position of authority and my judgements are restricted totally to myself. It hardly needs to be said that my opinion couldn't matter less to Jeff Ireland. But as long as he doesn't talk about it, I don't see how I have the choice to feel any differently about it.

I don't look at it like I deserve to know or anything like that. But given how publicity conscious Team Newton has been so far, I do think it would be odd if he didn't chose to address these issues publicly. It's not important, per se, but if they're throwing their own media workouts and inviting everyone in to look at him and talk to him up close... only nobody's allowed (or he won't comment, or is evasive) about what happened at Florida, then that would be weird to me, yes. And off-putting.

But at the end of the day, the media doesn't pick the players, the teams do. What's important is that he's willing to be honest and sincere about it with them, and that his statements match up to the investigated facts.

If he's willing to do that, then great. He'll be rewarded. But if he's evasive and defensive with teams, then that's going to be a problem.

I take it as en encouraging sign that Gena Parsons says that Newton is forthcoming and honest about what happened. But with all due respect to her integrity, it's still only the word of someone who's probably personally and certainly professionally invested in the guy. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that if I'm going to be convinced of his sincerity, then I'm going to need to see and hear it for myself. Whether Team Newton thinks it's important to convince the public at large of his sincerity remains to be seen. But I'm not just going to take Gene Parsons' word for it and put the issue to rest in my own mind. I doubt too many people would do that.

At the end of the day, each team is going to have to look him in the eye and figure out if they're satisfied with his explanations of what happened. If they are, then great. I'm not in a position of authority and my judgements are restricted totally to myself. It hardly needs to be said that my opinion couldn't matter less to Jeff Ireland. But as long as he doesn't talk about it, I don't see how I have the choice to feel any differently about it.

I don't know about being personally invested in Cam Newton. She didn't mention any contact that she's had with the Newtons since they were at Blinn together and I doubt there has been any contact. But as for being professionally invested in Cam Newton, that is simply not the case. Gena Parsons is retired from Blinn, and lives in the Florida Keys now. The letter she wrote was to a local columnist of a Florida Keys news service. She saw a column the local guy wrote about Cam Newton (a positive column, I believe) and decided to take time out of her day to write to the columnist and support what he was saying with her own firsthand view of Newton at Blinn College. There is no discernible ulterior motive, she could just as easily have not written the columnist at all. She was just a regular citizen of the Florida Keys, no longer an employee of Blinn College, and decided to share the fact that she'd been around a lot of athletes that make their way through Blinn trying to get back into D1-A ball and potentially the pros, and that Cam's personality was the most special she'd run across.

I understand you keep searching for reasons to be skeptical...but there aren't many, along the avenue that you're talking about right now. Newton hasn't had to say anything to any teams yet about his past at Gainesville. Warren Moon has counseled him to be as honest as possible about it. I think that's good advice. But it may not even be advice Mr. Moon needed to give, because all signs point to Cam being honest about his past with those that he's worked with. And THAT is what matters.

Back
Top Bottom