Hyde5: Five Dolphins thoughts from the Super Bowl | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Five Dolphins thoughts from the Super Bowl

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...the-super-bowl-20130204,0,3738820,print.story

Here's how the Super Bowl applies to the Dolphins plans and thoughts:

1. Offense wins championships.
These were the two most old-school teams in the NFL. Two great running backs. Strong defenses. Coaches trusting in traditional means to win. And look what happened. A 34-31 game. A game where throwing again decided the affairs. This isn’t to say you don’t need balance – of course, you have to build a defense. Of course, Baltimore’s defensive stand at the goal line closed the game. But the lesson once again for the Dolphins is you need to score points. They only scored more than the 49ers’ losing 31 points once in 2011 (35 against Oakland). This Super Bowl was the norm, too. In the four games of the semi-final weekend, no team scored fewer than Seattle’s 28 points (all in the second half) in losing to Atlanta. Once upon a time, defense was the blueprint to win championships. Only someone clinging to yesterday still thinks that in the NFL today.

2. The receiving corps matters more and more.
Who made whom in this game? Did Joe Flacco make the receivers, as quarterbacks traditionally are thought to do for receivers? Or did the receivers make Flacco the MVP? Flacco had a great game, no doubt. But Jacoby Jones got 10 yards behind the 49ers secondary, came back for an underthrown ball, then beat two defenders to the end zone for a 56-yard touchdown. Anquan Boldin caught a jump-ball pass for a 31-yard catch on a third down. This underlines what everyone knows: Ryan Tannehill needs help. When Tom Brady lost his favorite weapon in Rob Gronkowski, he could beat the Dolphins, but the offense suffered against the league’s best teams. I still think a quarterback can turn an average receiver into a good one, and a good one into a great one. But more and more you see receivers are helping make quarterbacks, too.

3. The best teams don’t win – the ones that play the best do.
An illegal formation on the first play of the game by San Francisco? That kind of sums up the 49ers day. San Francisco, to me, had the better talent and should have won the game. But Baltimore played a near-perfect game and executed their game plan perfectly. Both these teams were well-coached. But Baltimore played better this night.

4. And next year I'm rooting for a snowstorm in New York next year.
The Superdome is 38 years old and acted every bit of that on Sunday in a power outage of 34 minutes. I’m expecting a publicly-funded proposal to update the stadium come out from the Saints any day now. San Diego, New Orleans and South Florida should be part of any Super Bowl rotation. They’re the best cities for holding Super Bowls. But the stadium has canceled San Diego from plans, New Orleans looks in trouble … and Sun Life? The point is this: the NFL should be helping pay for these updates because these cities are crucial to Super Bowl success. The truth is these renovations are for the Dolphins and the Super Bowl is a shield. As I wrote with the Marlins, Panthers and Heat, the public shouldn’t be asked to keep dumping hundreds of millions of dollars into stadiums.

5. You’re never as far away as you look.
Entering the2011, the 49ers were coming off a 6-10 season, didn’t have a proven quarterback and had a new coach and general manager. That 2011 draft, their top two picks were pass-rushing defensive end Aldon Smith and quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Added to what they had their, and adding Jim Harbaugh to the mix, they were on their way. One good off-season can change everything. The Dolphins fans keep hoping for that off-season.

Your thoughts ?:ponder:

What I took from this playoffs as a whole is how far the Dolphins are away. Even teams that the Dolphins had played against had clearly elevated their games during the playoffs in ways that I don't think the Dolphins would've been able to.

And now I see MGM's odds for the 2014 Super Bowl and they have the Dolphins at 50-1 odds, tied with Tampa Bay. Only the Jaguars, Chiefs, Rams, Browns, Cardinals, Raiders and Titans have worse odds.

The Bills have better odds??

Oops. Sorry. Yes the Bills have worse odds than Miami at 75-1.

So according to Las Vegas, Miami's odds for winning the Super Bowl rank 23rd/24th out of 32 teams.

By the way, the Jets are 30-1. With Mark Sanchez still at quarterback.

What I took from this playoffs as a whole is how far the Dolphins are away. Even teams that the Dolphins had played against had clearly elevated their games during the playoffs in ways that I don't think the Dolphins would've been able to.

And now I see MGM's odds for the 2014 Super Bowl and they have the Dolphins at 50-1 odds, tied with Tampa Bay. Only the Jaguars, Chiefs, Rams, Browns, Cardinals, Raiders and Titans have worse odds.

I think that is accurate. We're at least 20 points a game away from being competitive at that level. I see us needing to upgrade at 6 positions (2 WR, TE, 2 OG, OT) on offense and 4 positions (2 CB, DE, LB) on defense over the 2012 roster to have a legitimate shot at winning the Super Bowl. We're not going to get there in one off-season, even if Ireland hits on every draft pick and every free agent acquisiton.

Sorry, but it's hard to believe that a team with statistically the worst 4 year QB starter since JaMarcus, a HC who's proven to be more cluless than not over his tenure, which we decisively beat... and that has lost 14 out of their last 25 games is more likely to win the SB. :idk: That's unless they of course find a way to get out of Cap Hell and sign Alex Smith, Anquan Bolden and Wallace among others, as Morningwood does seem to be a decent OC (and HC in waiting?).

Odds are a funny thing. What was San Fran's odds coming off their 6-10 season in 2010? Or Baltimore after their ****ty 2007 season where they lost to the Dolphins?

I think it's true that defense no longer wins championships but that does not mean offense wins championships.

The truth is that the most complete TEAM which peaks at the right time wins.

When was the last time Miami elevated its game in the playoffs? Certainly not in the last decade plus. I'd say maybe in the divisional round in 1992. And they quickly descended again the following week.

Oops. Sorry. Yes the Bills have worse odds than Miami at 75-1.

So according to Las Vegas, Miami's odds for winning the Super Bowl rank 23rd/24th out of 32 teams.

By the way, the Jets are 30-1. With Mark Sanchez still at quarterback.

That doesnt tell me that Miami sucks, it tells me that the oddsmakers havent figured it out yet

I'm glad he posted it - saved me a thread.

CB's and DE's don't matter anymore, period. Aldon got handled and the great 49ers secondary got schooled....and yes I think their secondary is top 3 in the league, maybe the best.

For the 4000th time we need playmaking WR's and TE's. Gore is a stud - Rice is a stud...they were after thoughts in this game.

Another 30+ point game...something the Dolphins rarely do....

Hartline and Bess wouldn't have even sniffed the field in that game. Those WR's are fast, athletic, aggressive, get YAC, and kill to get in the endzone. Crabtree looks like a ******* stud now, love the way that kid plays and did someone give Boldin a time machine pill?? He looks better than ever. His hops, strength, stiff-arm, route running, etc... is amazing...wish we would have brought him in.

Draft OFFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS!

i'm sure glad we don't have to beat the 9ers every year to get to the super bowl...here comes a long run for that squad of super bowl invites...even if kaep can't read a defense or throw with anticipation...

ck, the only thing those odds can tell you are where teams project as of today without any changes to the rosters. It'd be more concerning if these odds were released near the end of pre-season. A lot will change between the day after the super bowl and the day before the season opener. Furthermore, how ridiculous does that look to have the Jets at better odds than the Dolphins? Kind of hard to take those odds seriously when there should be a lot of turnover in New York...

the one thing the 9ers need to do this offseason is find just one more defender they can bring in in the nickle and certain packages at safety who can play coverage better than donte whitner...the ravens pass pro held up long enough yesterday for the te's to be able to expose whitner in coverage down the field...he's a liability in man coverage player and coverage period and it was exposed yesterday...

if i'm the 9ers i would look into trading up for a kenny vaccaro or finding a better option in that rotation...running with the same 11 on the field pretty much in all scenarios is bad when you have a liability in the group...and whitners just that in coverage

Back
Top Bottom