Hyde5: Five Dolphins thoughts from the Super Bowl | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Five Dolphins thoughts from the Super Bowl

the dolphins problem to me last ten yr is offensive. when defense playing bad offensive cannot carrier load. when def playing good offensive depend on field goal and lose game. defense cannot win game by them self....offensive need wr, bess , hartline to slow. or they need draft wr to replace both within next 2 yr..but they did good job last yr. hartline number was high because we only had 2 wr. maybe te all depend if you leaves t.e in block... draft de pass rusherand 1 cb maybe ol should be set

Yeah you have money because you are letting players walk, but aren't these the same players that have led the team to four non-winning seasons?

If the Cardinals got rid of Larry Fitzgerald, could they justify it on the basis of the above logic? The players I highlighted have been GOOD players for Miami. Winning players that help you win ball games. No, not all of them have been stars. Not most of them. One could argue, not one of them (though I'd disagree).

But the problem in Miami has not been those players playing poorly. The problem in Miami has been not enough players along side those players. You've got Mike Pouncey, Davone Bess, Cameron Wake, Paul Soliai, Kevin Burnett, Karlos Dansby, Koa Misi and Reshad Jones...but other than those guys, along with those liabilities I named, there haven't really been many other players worth a damn. And as a whole, the group lacks stars. Are you going to find that in free agency? Is there a whole lot of precedent for finding stars in free agency? Not really. So if you're not likely to find stars in free agency you're really just hoping to replace $35 million of solid players with $35 million of more solid players from other teams, knowing full well you're likely only to come out with $15 or $20 million worth of players.

I'm not suggesting what the course of action is, or that they're set to do anything wrong. I'm laying out the difficulty of the situation they're in, which is being understated right now.

When the 9ers were at the 5 yard line in the final 2, I thought to myself if this was the Miami defense that the 9ers were up against, all they would do is a QB Draw and the QB would walk in for the TD because Miami has given that easy play up for a loss maybe 6 times in the last 5 years.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE....Unfortunately...SO many teams do the QB Draw on the Dolphins (Except for Brady as he prefers to pad his TD pass stats).
Seems like the Dolphins are FAR away from a SB level team. BUT, you never know, Maybe Ireland will use the same camel that picked the winning SB team for his draft picks (Most believe the camel would at least not do Worse than Ireland)

It's very easy to improve at 10 positions when you have quality coaching in place from one year to the next. If you believe in these coaches and the program they are building, then, yes, it's very easy to expect that we will improve at 10 positions on the roster while adding talent from both the draft and through a few free agent signings.

Will this put the Dolphins in the top 6 teams? The 49'ers did it in two short years after looking hapless. Good coaching will reveal talent even where talent deficiencies once existed.

Oops. Sorry. Yes the Bills have worse odds than Miami at 75-1.

So according to Las Vegas, Miami's odds for winning the Super Bowl rank 23rd/24th out of 32 teams.

By the way, the Jets are 30-1. With Mark Sanchez still at quarterback.

NY is going to have better odds because they will get twice the bets, Vegas factors that in every bit as much as potential.

Yeah you have money because you are letting players walk, but aren't these the same players that have led the team to four non-winning seasons? Just because you are losing players and replacing them with others doesn't automatically mean you are worse off. Doesn't mean you are better either, but if you can get the right pieces it works. Fact is that the players that were being acquired between 2008 and 2011 are not really the same type of players you want now. They are building a Joe Philbin team now, not a Tony Sparano team. That is why we probably shouldn't be surprised that someone like Brandon Marshall was shipped out or that some of these free agents will be allowed to walk. The transition to the Philbin style started last year, and it continues this offseason. Will they be able to completely finish the rebuild this offseason? Probably not, but they realistically can put this team in the playoffs with the offseason that is set up. The Super Bowl contender they are working towards is probably a couple of offseasons away at this point.

No it doesn't mean they casued us to have 4 losing seasons.

Did we lose becuase of Long? No.
Did we lose because of Davis or Smith? No.
DId we lose because of Hartline? No.
I can keep going but you get the point.

WE lost because we lacked depth behind them or infront of them and had them playing above the order they should be in. WHen we had Davis and smith our CB core was good but our nickel back was the main issue and isntead of fixing that we replaced Davis instead of FIXING a broken piece.

FS was an issue and we NEVER fixed it. LT isn't wy we lost, we lost because our LG and RG were pathetic along with our RT. Notice we didn't fix those, all we did is create a new hole. Now isntead of having a #1 #2 and #3 CB for a few years we literally don't have a 1, 2, or a 3 now. Instead of keeping Long and upgrading our RG and LG we are now creating another hole with LT.

Instead of fixing our WR mess to give Marshall help on the other side we traded him which created the same hole as before, and now we are losing Hartline which opens ANOTHER hole.

Don't you see the reason we have so much $ and picks is because we traded away or lost players instead of ADDING to them.

Is SF/Balt good because they have 1 good WR, 1 good CB, 1 good LT, 1 good S? No, because they have multiple players that are good in the same department. Miami lacks that in EVERY SINGLE DEPARTMENT except on the D. Line. That is the ONLY position where we can get away with for a year by adding 1 player only.

People think, "oh SR7 is so negative hes this hes that bla bla bla" but you know hwy I am like that?

Because I look at things from the outside, I was a coach for several years alogn with being a player from HS to College and I know due to those situations, experiences, and vision that this team is in dire damn need of talent.

You dont think I want to go back to the days where I was 7 and was clueless and every year I was just as happy and excited as the year before, win or lose, talent or not I had hope and faith we would win the SB. **** I even lost friends becasue of that probably but those days are gone. I grew as a man, a player and a coach and saw things I didn't before those years of experience and my happiness, joy, and being blind to the actual state of the dolphins went down the gutter and reality knocked on my door.

If I pretend things are great and we are 2-3 players away from being a great team than I would haev never been successful as a player or a coach in my personal life.

Why even pay attention to NFL odds for the 2013 season at this point? They don't know which free agents will be re-signed, which new ones will come in and what the draft will look like. Waste of time to even glance at Vegas odds at this point. Just like Power Rankings for next year is a waste of time.

Agreed. Odds for SB 48 at this point are more ridiculous than an NCAA football top 25 done in early Aug.

heck the nfl just voted fools gold as it's nfl offensive rookie of the year...and thinks kaeps a franchise qb...

ha ha...

What are you saying? O ROY is like the grammy for best new artist? :chuckle:

Kaeps a damn sight better than Bob G but agree he's no franchise QB like Flacco has become.

We were 2 players and positions IMO from the playoffs last year. Those 2 players were on the team when Philbin arrived in Marshall and Vonte Davis. Now Harbough in less than 2 years took the talent he inherited with the 49ers and rode it to the Super Bowl without needing to reshape the team in his image. My question to you do we have that type of coach in Philbin or do we have a coach that wants to rebuild a team in his image first. Philbin and his staff out performed the Sporano crowd in terms of coaching for sure but that really means little if rebuilding becomes more important than just retooling. It would be very interesting to know just how bad both Ireland and Philbin both wanted to trade Davis and Marshall away.

Good article, thanks. We definitely are closer than a lot of people think. Hyde underscores what we all know ... this team goes only as far as our fledgling offense carries us. We need at least 2 starting WR's (Jennings in the slot and a deep threat at the X), a premier TE, at least 1 better OL (more if we lose Long), and a better power runner.

I really think bringing in Jennings to train 2 rookie WR's with good natural ability should be the statement we make this offseason.

Back
Top Bottom